F.E.A.R. FPS problem

JSC450

Gawd
My problem: low FPS' in FEAR no matter what settings i use. While doing the ingame 'test settings', 98% of the frames are under 20fps. 2% between 30 and 40FPS, and 0% over 40 FPS.

My specs: Pent D 805 @ 4Ghz
1G OCZ gold DDR2 667
2 160GB SATA in RAID 0
2x BFG 7800 GT OC
FSP 700W PSU
X-Fi Fatal1ty
19" WS monitor

What could the problem possibly be? Could my system really not be capable of pulling in a consistant 30FPS in this game?

JSC450 said:
My problem: low FPS' in FEAR no matter what settings i use. While doing the ingame 'test settings', 98% of the frames are under 20fps. 2% between 30 and 40FPS, and 0% over 40 FPS.

My specs: Pent D 805 @ 4Ghz
1G OCZ gold DDR2 667
2 160GB SATA in RAID 0
2x BFG 7800 GT OC
FSP 700W PSU
X-Fi Fatal1ty
19" WS monitor

What could the problem possibly be? Could my system really not be capable of pulling in a consistant 30FPS in this game?

You need to post what in-game settings you're using. If you're trying to use the highest resolution textures that will kill your performance because you need 2GB of RAM to do that smoothly. That's just a guess, and that's all anyone can give you with the info you gave us.

Sorry, Pretty much everything is "on" or set to "Maximum" and thats from the 'optimized settings' that FEAR came up with. I have tried the 'test' on all the settings, and my system turns in a terrible performance no matter what. however i went and installed FRAPS and did some single player and i'm pulling in around 70FPS. I went and messed with the AA/AF after that, and am using 4xAA 8xAF and my FPS hangs around 50-60.

I'm thinking the in game test sets everything to max and pumps up the AA/AF, because when i tried 4xAA and 16xAF and played a mission, my stuff was crawling (which i expected it to.). does anyone here base their FPS off of the peformance test within the games menu?

The in game benchmark uses the settings you choose. Do you have the latest 1.7 patch for the game? Also, are you getting those high FPS in FRAPS in combat or just walking around?

i didnt notice a dip in performance when fighting, but i wasnt looking at the FPS counter =] ill load up and see what happens.

the resolution im using is 1024x768x32

Wow, that's definitely not what should happen. :( With my X850XT PE, I can get full settings at 1280x1024 (except soft shadows). I get 2% under 20FPS and the rest above.

But it would be good to know if you have the 1.7 patch or not.

something is wrong. i play at 1024x768 with all settings maxed and i don't dip below 30 fps. have you tried any modified drivers? i had poor performance using stock drivers. it's worth a shot.

Okay, I waited untill i was done downloading rtcw before going back in to test (thats why this post is so late =[ ). I do have 1.07 Retail patch installed.

fired up FRAPS, and did some single player. At first i was getting really low fps, nothing more then 40 just walking around. I exited to windows, restarted fraps, and went back in. In the gun fights, i was getting 40-50 FPS as far as i could see, and 70-83 FPS just walking around.

i then did the benchmark test, and i actually got a decent score, 0% under 20FPS, 20 something % 25-40FPS, and the rest 40 and up. 27 min, 53 avg, 111 max.

i turned off AA completely and ran the test again. 28 min, 50something avg, 83 max.

i turned AA back up to 2 and ran the test again. I got almost exactly the same score as the 2nd test.

i turned AA up to 4 for 4AA/4AF and got something like a 30min, 50 something avg, and 101 max.

I think last night i might have been downloading something. I saw today that xfire has been downloading titanquest 1.15 patch, and i honestly cant say how long its been doing it lol =] i dont know if that would make a difference, but i cant explain the scores from last night compared to what i get now other then something using up my CPU. guess ill throw the problem into the weird shit bin and leave well enough alone.

Make sure to check your files tab to see if anything is going on in there. by default it downloads patches and stuff. not sure if it has an effect on the game, but who the hell wants to be downloading stuff when they're trying to play.

i did forget to mention, whenever i use fraps it has a negative effect on performance. maybe fraps knocks a few frames off. i now use riva tuner to measure my frames.

I've been meaning to get more memory... just not sure if i want to get another 2x512, or build another machine for school with the older parts and put new 2G in this one.

F.E.A.R has its days with my system lol XD. I just got the game myself about a week ago & I was having massive problems right off the bat. Once I did some googling, got all the patches (They really need to make a unified patch next time around along with the 1.07-> 1.08), learn how to set my Res from 1280 x 1024, the game has ran fairly well. Im getting better performance at 1280 x 1024 than i was at 1024 x 768. My LCD's native is 1280 x 1024, so obviously I wanted to set it to that. I take a nice dip in fierce gun fights though, just under 30 depending on how many units are shooting at me. No AA or AF at all since it immediatly shows a hit in my performance once I set it. Everything else is at maximum with no Soft Shadows. Only got a solo 7900GT OC so the one card is doing alot of work. I would SLI it up, but I am patiently (trying my hardest) awaiting the arrival of the DX 10 cards. As I plan to drop thousands of dollars on new hardware at that point. I REALLY do want to add another 7900GT OC though lol XD but Im holding off so far.

-DarkLegacy

Back