F1 2010 coming this September

It's still better to pit in after everyone else - obviously, don't pit in while your team mate is being serviced or you'll be the laughing stock of the pit row.

I would, but with tire simulation on, the two sets of tires last exactly as long as the race itself (which seems suspicious also).

Do the tires just suddenly die on you? In most racing games you have maybe a 3 to 4 lap window where the tires slowly start going until they're near undrivable, and you can delay it if you drive slightly more conservatively.

Its certainly not very good if they just die suddenly, we've seen in the real F1 this year people using one set of tires for the best part of a race and getting away with it.

Thing I don't like are punctures, that shit is so random. Can happen in the middle of the track. I play on the setting with 2 replays and try to save them for flats, cause the tire doesn't pop again if I rewind.

Thing I don't like are punctures, that shit is so random. Can happen in the middle of the track. I play on the setting with 2 replays and try to save them for flats, cause the tire doesn't pop again if I rewind.

Ive only experienced punctures when ive lightly tagged something, or wore my tyres out. Ive yet to have just a random puncture.

Ive only experienced punctures when ive lightly tagged something, or wore my tyres out. Ive yet to have just a random puncture.
I seem to get them every 2nd race playing at 20% race length. More often when I touch a kerb with my outer tires, never going off the track, but I thought you are supposed to use them???
I do get them in the middle of the track for no reason sometimes too. Rewind and hit flashback and it doesn't happen again the rest of the race.

Do the tires just suddenly die on you? In most racing games you have maybe a 3 to 4 lap window where the tires slowly start going until they're near undrivable, and you can delay it if you drive slightly more conservatively.

Its certainly not very good if they just die suddenly, we've seen in the real F1 this year people using one set of tires for the best part of a race and getting away with it.

No they don't die, they just fade away. It's something I can manage by adjusting my pit schedule - but really, why should I need to? If I pit ahead of everyone else, and get the same service (tires only) how are they making up enough time that I then have to wait for them to exit? Maybe my pit crew sucks, but it still is ridiculous - I've literally sat while 9 cars went by, I counted.

Anyone with aG25 want to comment on how the accelerator pedal travel is? I'm think part of my problems are stemming from the fact that it seems like I'm getting about 95% of the throttle setting in the first inch of pedal travel, so it is too easy to over-rev the engine and spin the tires coming out of the turns. I've tried playing with the settings, but nothing seems to work - it just feels like the full throttle range does not equate to the full pedal travel range (even though Windows game controller page shows it calibrated correctly). I'm wondering if the G25 is a worthwhile investment over my Momo.

Has anybody else here found a sweet spot for the settings?

I have, and it's the first time ever in a racing title in which I have to fight for position in a realistic manner. Once the cars have all settled into position it becomes a real chore to catch the car in front. Just like in real F1 racing, it might take me eight laps just to get into position where I can make one move to get past - and if I blow it then I'm set all the way back again.

Codemasters has a masterpiece on its hands here. 55 hours for me now. I sure hope they continue to evolve the seriies. I can't believe I only paid 35 dollars for this at Steam. What a deal.

Anyone with aG25 want to comment on how the accelerator pedal travel is? I'm think part of my problems are stemming from the fact that it seems like I'm getting about 95% of the throttle setting in the first inch of pedal travel, so it is too easy to over-rev the engine and spin the tires coming out of the turns. I've tried playing with the settings, but nothing seems to work - it just feels like the full throttle range does not equate to the full pedal travel range (even though Windows game controller page shows it calibrated correctly). I'm wondering if the G25 is a worthwhile investment over my Momo.

I use a g25. I am not having 95% throttle that quickly. I am using the default pedal settings in game. But i have been using the g25 2yrs+ now and race pretty much nonstop so i may just be used to it.

And everyone else, you all playing online? Haste and I havent see hardly any of the other 'hardcore' F1 guys on here racing on GFWL. Lets do this. :) add pl1ght on gfwl

I use a g25. I am not having 95% throttle that quickly. I am using the default pedal settings in game. But i have been using the g25 2yrs+ now and race pretty much nonstop so i may just be used to it.

And everyone else, you all playing online? Haste and I havent see hardly any of the other 'hardcore' F1 guys on here racing on GFWL. Lets do this. :) add pl1ght on gfwl

yeeeeeeeaaahhhh boooooooy. add haste266 also! :D

How's the lag playing on line? I haven't tried it yet, but being in Hawaii I doubt it'll be playable for me.

How's the lag playing on line? I haven't tried it yet, but being in Hawaii I doubt it'll be playable for me.

Off topic, but how do they supply electrical stuff to Hawaii? Is there a cable running across the Pacific ocean to continental USA?

Off topic, but how do they supply electrical stuff to Hawaii? Is there a cable running across the Pacific ocean to continental USA?

They ship in oil and run local power stations. It is crazy expensive. I can't understand why they aren't 100% renewable - there is sunlight a plenty, constant 15 mph winds, and an entire volcano to provide geothermal power - seems like the perfect situation for a "green" solution.

news about the patch. im guessing another month before we see it.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/432050-f1-2010-patch-news.html

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since we last updated on the forthcoming F1 2010 patch so here is where things are at currently…

The team are hard at work, and have been since launch, building the patch. We’ve focussed on both fixes to the game and a number of gameplay improvements based on your feedback. Once the process has finished, we can then release the patch for submission which will take an additional couple of weeks until it is available for release. Here is a quick overview of the main issues which we’re addressing:

1. Corrupt Save Games - We have identified an over-zealous anti-cheating check that manifested as falsely identified corrupt saves, specifically the ones relating to practice and R&D upgrades, the save-games should now load without issue. However if any of you are experiencing corrupt saves outside of this then please continue to send your PS3 save game files to us (Xbox360 & PC saves aren’t of any use to us) and we can test these against the latest patch to see whether all instances of this issue have now been fixed

2. AI not pitting in dry races where a mandatory pit stop was required (20% or more) – This has been fixed.

3. Player held in pit-stop too long – We’ve improved exit logic so that it isn’t too cautious in holding players during a pit-stop.

4. Puncture frequency reduced – The likelihood of players suffering punctures has been reduced.

5. Pit-stop lock-ups - Fixed several instances which caused the pit crew to lock-up and not be able to service the cars.

6. Automatically updating race strategy – Selecting prime tyres from the tyre menu (over default option) now updates the strategy so that the pit-crew assign options during the pit stop as opposed to re-attaching another set of primes (in a dry race of 20% or more).

7. First lap calculates correctly – The lap time for the first lap of the race now calculates correctly, from the lights going out as opposed to the cars crossing the start line.

In addition to these fixes we’ve also made improvements to the game based on your forum feedback:-

1. OSD changes – showing split times rather than gap to leader – We’ve changed how the OSD timing information functions so that split times are now displayed on the OSD, showing race time and race time differences to the other cars – I.e. how far ahead/behind are at a sector boundary.

2. AI affected more by damage received – Damage sustained by an AI’s car will have a greater effect their handling characteristics, effectively slowing damaged AI down more. AI cars that cannot maintain a racing speed will naturally yield to faster cars & come into the pits for repairs. As before, If they receive too much damage, they will retire from the race.

3. AI yielding to other cars when not on flying lap in qualifying - Improved AI behaviour to move off the racing line or out of the player’s way when the player is on a flying lap.

4. Increased wheel support – Increased wheel support and force feedback tweaks (where applicable) for the following wheels; Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Force Feedback (officially supported), Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience (officially supported), Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch (not officially supported but will work), Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S & GT3 RS2 (both officially supported).

5. Wet weather improvements - Rebalanced graphical and handling effect of cars driving on a wet track - the level of wetness has been increased as well as tyre trails being made more prominent.

6. Improved Damage Modelling – Tweaks to the damage system so that more damage is visible / received during lesser impacts.

7. Next lap invalidated time trial logic - In time trial the next lap is no longer invalidated for any offence committed in the 3rd sector. It is calculated per track and is predominantly based on the final corner.

8. AI: Driver Behaviours - Addressed some issues in driver behaviour balancing that were causing occasionally unrealistic finishing positions.

There have also been several PC specific improvements as well:-

1. PC 'replay saving' and playback – You will be able to save out the files to replay them later or share them with others.

2. DX11 – The F1 2010 patch will enable the game to run on DX11. All of the graphical improvements are configurable from graphical options when in DX11. Specifically, "ultra" settings for 'shadows' and 'postprocess'. (These options require a lot of processing power, and are only recommended for high-end graphics cards.

3. Eyefinity Support – F1 2010 now supports 3 x 1 or 3 x 2 monitor display setups (minimum requirement of 3 x monitors)

4. Optimisations – We have made better use of multi-core processors in general, which will lead to better framerates on higher end machines.

5. Additional Support - Support for SandyBridge processors, which also adds support for currently available 'modern' processors, like Core i7, which wasn't correctly detected previously.

This list is not exhaustive of the issues being addressed in the patch but a snap shot of the key improvements. Please keep your feedback coming though as it is invaluable both for the work on the patch and for the design of F1 2011.

Once the patch goes into submission, we’ll try to give you guys a heads up as to when it will be live and ready to download as soon as we know.

Thanks for your continued support & feedback.

The F1 2010 Development Team.

I can't wait for the patch! The game will be pretty much perfect after that, as it addresses every issue I have with the game. Hopefully I'll have a new i7 setup by then.

They ship in oil and run local power stations. It is crazy expensive. I can't understand why they aren't 100% renewable - there is sunlight a plenty, constant 15 mph winds, and an entire volcano to provide geothermal power - seems like the perfect situation for a "green" solution.

Erm... They do have a geothermal plant.

Erm... They do have a geothermal plant.

Hmm, so they do. 30 MW is nothing to sneeze at, but not really putting much of a dent in total consumption (1400 MW on Oahu). I guess you gotta start somewhere though.

lag is virtually nonexistant. I play with folks in random ass Euro countries all the time. Ive probably completed over 150+sprints online and have yet to notice lag being a determining factor.

I've gotten 3 punctures so far. One was during a spin when I went off the track which isnt unusual. The other 2 happened after I ignored my pit crew asking me to make a pit stop. It took less than 1 lap after ignoring them for the puncture to happen. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if the game punishes you for ignoring your pit crew.

I seem to get them every 2nd race playing at 20% race length. More often when I touch a kerb with my outer tires, never going off the track, but I thought you are supposed to use them???
I do get them in the middle of the track for no reason sometimes too. Rewind and hit flashback and it doesn't happen again the rest of the race.

I just started playing this last night with my new Logitech Driving Force GT. Very fun I think. I like that I don't have to go super detailed on the cars setup to have a good time. I think I'm playing on like medium difficulty for AI. Not sure what my other settings are for driving assists off-hand though.

I will say it's not easy. I was playing for a few hours last night. I didn't realize at first how to play your career so I was off racing as some other dude.

How long do you guys set up races for? How many laps and stuff?

I just started playing this last night with my new Logitech Driving Force GT. Very fun I think. I like that I don't have to go super detailed on the cars setup to have a good time. I think I'm playing on like medium difficulty for AI. Not sure what my other settings are for driving assists off-hand though.

I will say it's not easy. I was playing for a few hours last night. I didn't realize at first how to play your career so I was off racing as some other dude.

How long do you guys set up races for? How many laps and stuff?

i do the minimum 20% for career mode. full weekend though. races usually last around 11-15 laps.

i have difficulty as high as it can go with no assists and im winning races and getting pole positions in my very first year driving with LOTUS! :rolleyes:

maybe i should check my difficulty again, but im fairly positive i put it on the hardest setting after i got my career going...

i do the minimum 20% for career mode. full weekend though. races usually last around 11-15 laps.

i have difficulty as high as it can go with no assists and im winning races and getting pole positions in my very first year driving with LOTUS! :rolleyes:

maybe i should check my difficulty again, but im fairly positive i put it on the hardest setting after i got my career going...

Same here. And with tyre sim on since start. Gotta drive your ass off 100% all the time, but winning isnt really what id call impossible by any stretch.

Thanks. I haven't had much time to look through everything. I would like to cut down the practice time. An hour is a bit much.

Thanks. I haven't had much time to look through everything. I would like to cut down the practice time. An hour is a bit much.

you do know about the fast forward time option, right?

Codemasters isn't known for doing great sim racing games, so that's not surprising. They don't model actual car performance differences and physics that well, and the AI is generally really weak in their games.

Nope. But like I said there hasn't been much time to mess around. I will check it out tonight. Thanks.

when u r sitting in your garage with the monitor/tv in front of you, just hit enter twice and you'll see it. :)

Traction control and ABS off, along with tire sim on? Color me impressed. Those settings kick my ass big time.

Codemasters isn't known for doing great sim racing games, so that's not surprising. They don't model actual car performance differences and physics that well, and the AI is generally really weak in their games.

The test driver hired by Codemaster's didn't mention Rfactor by name, but pointed out how in the other games you can tweak your car setup and in some cases shave ten seconds or more off your lap times.

Ultimately, that alone disqualifies all these other titles from being the ultra hardcore simulations they purport to be, since in real Formula One, a great setup might shave a half a second off your lap time.

Real drivers work in milliseconds, not in seconds.

Titles like Rfactor are actually a lot more gamey because they reward people for spending time fiddling about in setup menus. All you're doing in those menus is trying to figure out what makes Rfactor tick. Okay, sure, that might take some effort - but just because something is more difficult doesn't mean it's more realistic.

Anyone think I can easily mod my Driving Force GT to put better springs for the pedals?

Or is that just dumb.

Traction control and ABS off, along with tire sim on? Color me impressed. Those settings kick my ass big time.

Tire simulation alone makes the driving way more difficult.

Also, at the official forum, people were saying that they couldn't lock the wheels even if they tried. Finally, I had to turn ABS on, because my wheels were constantly locking up on me. I was forced to turn off tire simulation, because I just couldn't compete.

This was all with the NPC driver AI set to professional.

People at the official forum were saying that on Legendary, with all assists off, and tire simulation and fuel simulation enabled, they were easily passing all other drivers while driving for Virgin.

I would love to see those people come to my house and show me that on my setup. :D

yes sir. forsaken and i are running same difficulty settings.

Man, I'd love to see a video of some racing laps. Maybe I can pick up on what is causing me so much trouble (besides my suspected accelerator range problem [my current excuse]).

<snip>

Okay, sure, that might take some effort - but just because something is more difficult doesn't mean it's more realistic.

Not going to disagree there.

But tunneling in with the microsetup changes in any of the other games (rFactor, LFS, GTR, etc.) can actually tell you how much complexity there could be in the physics engine underneath. If they can model those microchanges to the hundreths / thousandths in improvements in lap times and car handling properties good on 'em. That falls more inline with realism IMO. Are they dead on accurate in all those areas? Not really. There are still people in those games who can post ridiculous lap times because they've found that "loophole" spot in the physics engine(s).

That said, I know it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea. I enjoy a good "simple" race game as much as I do digging in to my Solstice setup in iRacing. But I like more of a challenege even in those "simple" games. So if I can trump the field in a Virgin Racing or Lotus, it's gonna dampen my fun factor. I want to have to push to get those top teir seats.

Does it make it less fun for everybody? Like I said, it can for some people when you're easily blowing by those top teir teams in a car which even in the hands of Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso or Lewis Hamilton would likely be struggling to be anywhere near top 10. :)

Man, I'd love to see a video of some racing laps. Maybe I can pick up on what is causing me so much trouble (besides my suspected accelerator range problem [my current excuse]).

ill see what i can do. been drinking some sake tonight so im not at the top of my game but i'll get something recorded in the next day or two and get it u/led to youtube.

I also want to see this.

All assists off, tire simulation on, fuel simulation on, etc. etc., on Legendary.

Also, show me your first two laps of a race that's at 20 percent. If the other cars aren't blowing past you then you're superman.

Back