face plate over the dye core

clone#13

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I noticed that the new AMD 64 chips have a one piece face plate cover over the dye core. My question is: Do you apply artic silver to cover the whole face plate? I am planning on using the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu cpu fan.

clone#13 said:
Hi all, I noticed that the new AMD 64 chips have a one piece face plate cover over the dye core. My question is: Do you apply artic silver to cover the whole face plate? I am planning on using the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu cpu fan.
i guess since one of the IHS's functions is to distribute the core's heat output over a wider area, it wouldn't be a bad idea to cover the whole surface with a very thin layer of as5.
that's just my opinion, though.

Not a good place for opinion ;)

Go to the AS site, they have very specific instructions on how to do this, and it’s not to cover the whole plate. In fact that is counter productive.

Just one “rice” sized small drop in the center, it will spread itself. Honest :)

Luck

I disagree.
If you want the highest level of heat transfer, that will only come from having a better thermal compound or having a larger surface area. As AS5 is about as good as you are going to get then a thin layer over the entire IHS is the best plan, that is of course so long as it is thin.
That is also assuming that the IHS is perfectly flat, and so is the heatsink.

Yes, but if you spread it over the entire IHS you are more likely to trap tiny bubbles of air in your goop. By putting a small amount in the center and letting the mounting pressure force your thermal goop outwards, you get a higher quality interface.

Anyways, calling it a heatspreader is misleading. It's too thin for effective lateral heat movement. The vast majority of the heat enters the heatsink within a couple millimeters of the die.

True it is more of a Core protector (and a much needed one at that) then a heat spreader...

if you are ballsy and competent remove it with a razor blade. CAUTION you may crush the core with the hsf if you tighten it. on avg 3to 6 deg temp difference. depends on hsf. I removed mine got better temps idle and load. I recommend ONLY for experienced..

MetalStorm said:
I disagree.

I wouldn't disagree with Artic Silver. They make the thermal compound and they know how to use it best.

On an Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.

Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64- About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB.

RECHECK to make sure no foreign contaminants are present on either the bottom of the heatsink or the top of the CPU core. Mount the heatsink on the CPU per the heatsink's instructions. Be sure to lower the heatsink straight down onto the CPU.

Once the heatsink is properly mounted, grasp the heatsink and very gently twist it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each if possible. (Just one or two degrees or so.)

Please note that some heatsinks cannot be twisted once mounted.

Our testing has shown that this method minimizes the possibility of air bubbles and voids in the thermal interface between the heat spreader and the heatsink. Since the vast majority of the heat from the core travels directly through the heat spreader, it is more important to have a good interface directly above the actual CPU core than it is to have the heat spreader covered with compound from corner to corner.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Back