FAH as a service on Linux

well, everything seemed to install fine. the documentation is meh, translation is understandable but poor (i think this guy's first language is actually estonian?)

i'm new to linux, so idk if it will actually start running by itself on reboot, so until i have to reboot, it's running now in its own terminal window...

i also dont' know if on reboot, if it starts, it will start in the background or if it will retain a visible terminal window for itself

we shall see...

Please let us know as it would like help me on a few boxen that always do a reboot by themselves everytime I leave town for more than a day, and mage's stuff sounds like I actually would have to know how to do "real" linux :D

ok I am lazy :p

yeah it didn't work on first reboot.

but, it can run as a service, all i have to do is type ./foldingathome/folding start

and that starts it as a service

but i don't know how to make it run on startup... any help anyone?

morpheus6d9 said:
edit your init.d file in the etc folder
sorry, that didn't make any sense

what "etc" folder?
EDIT: okay, found my etc folder but i only have an "inittab" file, not "initd," looking around in the "inittab" file now

okay i'm lost. help, please. i can't believe ubuntu doesn't have an easy graphical way of adding services (or making your own or whatever)

I tried getting it to start as a honest-to-goodness "service" in SuSE as well, with no success. Although I'm chalking up the problem to user error, I found an easy workaround was to start the F@H client from my ~/.profile file which runs automatically on login.

I just added these lines to the end of my ~/.profile
cd .fah
./FAH502-Linux.exe > fah.log&
cd ..
The " > fah.log&" part redirects display output to the fah.log file so that my console isn't constantly showing line readouts from the client. The ampersand at the end of that starts it in the background as a daemon of sorts. Also, this assumes that you have the F@H client stored in a subdirectory .fah of your home directory. You may be familiar with this syntax, you may not--I just don't want to assume anything.

The reason I have it change directories before running the program is so that it stores log and workunit files in the ~/.fah directory and leaves my home directory alone. Then it changes back to the home directory so that any shells I subsquently spawn will start at ~.

This obviously isn't exactly the same as having it run from /etc/boot.d but it works for me. If you want, give it a try and see how it works for you.

okay, thanks Zinn, but i solved it a different way:

after using the installer (finstall) from that link i posted above, i navigated to the foldingathome directory (/home/foldingathome for me) and typed:
Code:
sudo ./installService

sudo is the ubuntu approximation of su

it prompted me for my password and i entered it, it claimed it installed the service.

i checked in the Services section of System of my top bar and it said that there was indeed a thing called "folding" that would start on bootup (i believe)

we'll see if it works when i next have to restart

sudo is just a generic linux command that will run any command as root...

Not sure about Ubuntu but on Red Hat/Fedora it's pretty simple. Just go to /etc/rc.d and edit the rc.local file, add this:

cd /location/of/fah
./FAH504-Linux.exe -flags -flags > /dev/null &

This will start FAH at bootup everytime. Suse is simillar but I don't remember the exact file to edit now.

This is good info since I have a Ubuntu machine at home that I keep forgetting to do this to.

AtomicMoose said:
I'd gladly edit some files to save $150...
but its easier to pay the $150....and then another $20-50 on an AV, a firewall, download some anti-spyware software....etc...etc....why does microsoft rule?

roftranspo said:
but its easier to pay the $150....and then another $20-50 on an AV, a firewall, download some anti-spyware software....etc...etc....why does microsoft rule?
Since when do Linux distro users pay for anything?

*ahem* Vmware workstation. $200 when I bought a copy.

All the functionality I was using became free about two weeks later ><

unhappy_mage said:
*ahem* Vmware workstation. $200 when I bought a copy.

All the functionality I was using became free about two weeks later ><

ouch, that really sux. sorry to hear that mage

See, now this is why I only use MAC (what os they use....? ) :)

marty9876 said:
MAC's ship with Foldix? Who would have known...huh.
i dont mean "geek" user-friendly, i mean "why the f*&k are you on a computer" user-friendly :)

roftranspo said:
i dont mean "geek user-friendly", i mean "why the f*&k are you on a computer user-friendly" :)

make up your mind, geez. Either nix bites, or it's no good--- which one?

im say nix is good....just the level of the people using it changes

Yea, seems like all the grandma's out there are nix fans these days. :p

marty9876 said:
Yea, seems like all the grandma's out there are nix fans these days. :p
yep...now if you are a mac fan...you are a nix fan...i personally think its great...but thats me :)

posting anything to see if rolly-polly will reply.

wow, this degenerated into the generic *nix this *noes that fest faster than even in the Operating Systems forum...truly, we are in the DC :)

unhappy_mage said:
You obviously haven't tried Foldix :D

that's disgusting. what did you do to Foldix?! err, or did you build foldix, and if so, how did you preclude pr0n?

Carnival Forces said:
that's disgusting. what did you do to Foldix?! err, or did you build foldix, and if so, how did you preclude pr0n?
Foldix is my project. I haven't eliminated the possibility for ascii pr0n, but that's about it. No graphical interface, just text :p

unhappy_mage said:
Foldix is my project. I haven't eliminated the possibility for ascii pr0n, but that's about it. No graphical interface, just text :p

wow, awesome folding potentiality but only ASCII pr0n, bittersweet jesus...

well, i accidentally double-posted (yay laggy wireless) but i can't figure out how to "delete" this post

just erasing all my text and pressing "save changes" has the server inform me my message is too short.

gee, thanks.

Back