FAH SMP Client

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Well since the cat is out of the bag-

11/6/2006 SMP client now beta testing
We are now testing the SMP client with Folding@Home beta testers (beta testers can find more information in the beta testing forum). The SMP client supports OSX/Intel natively (which means a major points boost for OSX donors) as well as 64-bit linux (with 32-bit linux hopefully to come soon). Windows support will come much later, as this is a very different architecture for porting than OSX & Linux.

Anyone have any ideas on how the heck to run this thing under windows?

Just virtualize an instance of linux on it and call it a day.

A 64 bit nix with 4 way support? Not really possible I don't think.

VMware server = 2 way

ESX will do 4 way but 1. It's thousands of dollars and 2. you've just laid and OS on top of the bare metal....

Oh come on, you know you want to invest in ESX...actually we're running ESX here and I'll try to give it a shot if I can get the client. What version of Linux is everyone running?

Too bad Virtual Server 2005 R2 only allows uniprocessor 32-bit clients, hopefully the next version expands on this.

marty9876 said:
ESX will do 4 way but 1. It's thousands of dollars and 2. you've just laid and OS on top of the bare metal....

Simply buy a Mac Pro with a couple of 5160s in it. Simplify folding and your life. Just ask me how. :p

I really should upgrade the VPC I have to ESX, still running the $1,800 copy of GSX... :rolleyes: Still can't belive they went and gave that (better version actually) away.

Macaholic said:
Simply buy a Mac Pro with a couple of 5160s in it. Simplify folding and your life. Just ask me how. :p

Mac- any PPD estimates yet?

Macaholic said:

Eh, I already have a better workstation with 5160s in it and it's getting 5355s on the 17th...I'll wait until they come up with a better solution or just dual boot into linux.

ND40oz said:
Eh, I already have a better workstation with 5160s in it and it's getting 5355s on the 17th...I'll wait until they come up with a better solution or just dual boot into linux.

Wanna race? Bet I can beat you to it! Or, maybe I already have and YOU just don't know it?! <insert evil genius laugh here> :p

Macaholic said:
Wanna race? Bet I can beat you to it! Or, maybe I already have and YOU just don't know it?! <insert evil genius laugh here> :p

Sure, cause mine also holds 2 ati x1950xtx's at full bandwidth and yours only holds one :D

So how's the mac handle the heat of two 5355s? I know the dell doesn't have any active cooling directly on the heatsink, does the mac pro? That's what I'm mainly going to be testing when it's going full bore...

Way to go and queer up a thread with all this "pointless" Mac crap.... :p

ND40oz said:
Sure, cause mine also holds 2 ati x1950xtx's at full bandwidth and yours only holds one :D

So how's the mac handle the heat of two 5355s? I know the dell doesn't have any active cooling directly on the heatsink, does the mac pro? That's what I'm mainly going to be testing when it's going full bore...

Tsk, tsk. Tell me what you see here? Hmmm. Maybe I can fit SOMETHING in those spaces? Slots 1 and 3 perhaps? What could I use? Hmmm.

pci_slots1.jpg

Active cooling? Hmmm. I'm not sure? What do you think? I'm just a nOObie. ;)

side_shot_open.jpg

time for frick 7im and frack Mac to start their own fun thread about...............

zim01 said:
time for frick 7im and frack Mac to start their own fun thread about...............

Sorry to have stolen the meaningful thunder that comes from the posting of zim01 (Lloyd Christmas) and Mary (Harry Dunn). Again. Sincerest apologies. :p ;)

Macaholic said:
Sorry to have stolen the meaningful thunder that comes from the posting of zim01 (Lloyd Christmas) and Mary (Harry Dunn). Again. Sincerest apologies. :p ;)

So which is dumb and which is dumber?

So what about 64bit linux on a dual Opty board? Would that be a good match for this client? What distro?

Macaholic said:
Tsk, tsk. Tell me what you see here? Hmmm. Maybe I can fit SOMETHING in those spaces? Slots 1 and 3 perhaps? What could I use? Hmmm.

Active cooling? Hmmm. I'm not sure? What do you think? I'm just a nOObie. ;)

The x1900 is a dual slot card, so you'll only be able to fit two in total. And, according to this diagram, you'll only be able to use an x16 slot and an x4 slot because you'll have to use slots, 1 and 3 with the two x1900s since they are dual slot cards. Thus hampering the output of the card stuck in the x4 slot.

This is what I was referring to with the cooling, the two graphics cards also end up dumping heat into the case. Doesn't look like you have the same problem with memory that I do with my setup:

Heatshield off
DSC00928.jpg

Heatshield on
DSC00929.jpg

Back