Faint, high pitched whine from new PC

TwistedJester

Weaksauce
So for Battlefield 3 I decided to go sll out and do a near-full upgrade of my system. New CPU, MOBO, RAM, GPU, an SSD etc. Only parts I've carried over are the PSU and three hard drives. However I've noticed a faint, high pitched whine coming from my new machine. For the past few days I've been pulling things out to try to troubleshoot this, including all the fans, the video card (I've got onboard to test) and all of the hard drives aside from the SSD. Every time the sound still came back. My guess is there's something up with the motherboard because I haven't had any issues with this power supply in the 3-4 years I've owned it. Is there any way I can be sure it's something up with the motherboard short of asking for a replacement from the manufacturer? Or is my PSU just old and/or not able to handle this new setup?

Another useful piece of information: it only seems to happen when I boot into Windows. I've sat around in the BIOS for ten or so minutes just going over settings and I never notice the sound there. But within a few seconds of getting to the Windows login screen it comes back.

My specs, if it helps at all:
Intel Core i5 2500k w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink
Asus P8Z68-V LE mobo
EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570 1024 MB
8GB G.skill Ripjaw RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
3 x HDDs of varying sizes
Corsair TX650W PSU

Power saving features of Intel cpus cause whine from many motherboards. The whine will be more pronounced at idle than under load, which is why it isn't so noticeable in bios. If you disable the power saving options the whine will go away, at the cost of extra power consumption and heat at idle.

PSU was the first thing that came to mind. But to rule out the OS. Try booting into a different OS with the same OS and load.

I've also noticed a high-pitched whine when idling when I upgraded to an Intel i5-2500K with a Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard (and new memory and CPU heastsink/fan). Apart from that, nothing was changed so I assume the source behind the whine is either the CPU or the motherboard.

Turns out that disabling "CPU C6 Report" in BIOS setup -> Advanced -> CPU Configuration makes the whine go away. Not really a fix, but good enough for me.

Last edited:
Back