Fairly Nice HTPC Build... Need suggestions

Alai

2[H]4U
I need some input for a build. No budget, technically, but ideally under $1000 for additional parts.

I want an HTPC that isn't purely integrated graphics based because I want to be able to use media players that aren't able to be hardware accelerated.

The only parts I have is the LL V350B, Q6700, and 4GB of RAM (two sticks). I am hoping for a mATX board and the minimum CPU and GPU to run all contents smoothly and with HDMI output.

Also, I need to know what is the quietest, most reliable PSU I can get to power all this.

I also need a TV Tuner and someone needs to explain all the features of a TV Tuner because I tried reading through some descriptions, but I'm not sure I understand quite everything one needs to know about TV Tuners. It seems like sometimes people need to get additional services or devices from their cable company to decipher HD content or something?

Oh also... if I DIDNT use the V350B, what HTPC cases would you guys recommend to be remote enabled? Are remotes even realistic with HTPC's considering how few media players support remotes? Might as well get a wireless mouse and keyboard, right? Which reminds me... recommend me good wireless input devices.

I am thinking this, so far:

Case: Lian Li V350B
CPU: Q6700 (I will use the one I have right now. I am thinking about just running it at stock so I can use a small HSF.)
HSF: Scythe Mini Ninja
HDD: WD 750GB Black
Optical Drives: LG UH08LS10K Blu-Ray Reader, 2x Sony AD-7240S-0B CD/DVD burner
RAM: 2x2GB RAM G.Skill 800
Mobo: ASUS P5N7A-VM (preferably something that supports all of these and has at least 6 if not 8 SATA ports)
PSU: (something quiet, reliable, and has short cables)
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (no clue, just going with what everyone else seems to pine for)

Edited to updated list and specifications.

Still need PSU suggestion.

Last edited:
The HD3000 and HD4000 integrated GPU can do acceleration.

The integrated 9300/9400 can do CUDA, too.

But a 4850 is overkill for a strictly HTPC machine. The 4350 will suit a true HTPC far better.

All HD4000 series have the GPU based video acceleration. The 4350 actually has a little bit newer video decoder.

You need a ATSC tuner, in the US, for Over the Air.
Something that supports Cable Card, for recording off of your TV subscription (if any).

Theres no need to get an Asus HDAV1.3, Theres a couple decoders out there that can decode TrueHD and DTSHDMA and will send it out the HDMI port of a 4xxx series gpu as LPCM. FFDshow for TrueHD and ArcSoft TotalMedia Exreme's decoder can do DTS HD:MA

Also, if u can wait a month or two you should see midrange 5xxx Ati cards which all support bitstreaming HD audio formats.

I'm using the 4350 to accelerate my media center but browsing through my movie titles in mediabrowser is laggy.... something to think about.

Hmmm... the mobo I have listed in OG right now seems really hard to find in e-tailers. Anyone know what is the more commonly sold integrated graphics mobo that supports quadcore?

Hmm... I was trying to shoot for a 9400 mobo... is there much of a difference between 9300 and 9400?

Hmm... Also, that ASUS mobo seems to be drawing alot of complaints about it. Including incompatibility with Windows 7.

I think I might look for a regular mATX mobo and slap a 4350 on it...

The difference between 9300 and 9400 are clock speeds. That's it. Not too much to worry about, they are rather equal, though the 9300 is going to be consistently, a little bit slower.

Hmm... Also, that ASUS mobo seems to be drawing alot of complaints about it. Including incompatibility with Windows 7.

I think I might look for a regular mATX mobo and slap a 4350 on it...

... You take Newegg "reviews" seriously? It's called "user error" and all those reviews ever showed me was a ton of user error.

The difference between 9300 and 9400 are clock speeds. That's it. Not too much to worry about, they are rather equal, though the 9300 is going to be consistently, a little bit slower.

If it's hardware accelerated, does that mean ONLY the graphics card does the work? Since I am using the Q6700, the CPU should be able to handle a good chunk of the processing, right?

... You take Newegg "reviews" seriously? It's called "user error" and all those reviews ever showed me was a ton of user error.

Even the complaint about Windows 7 compatibility? How does one screw that one up?

I think I will stick with the LL V350B because I want 3x 5.25" drives.

Updated OG post so far.

Last edited:
Back