Fake 2600XPs

neevo

2[H]4U
I don't know how widespread it is but yesterday we found that we had been delivered a batch of mis-labelled "2600XP" CPUs from a distributor here in the UK.

The chips were actually 2200XPs as identified by the mobo etc and had another label identifying them as 2600XPs stuck over the proper AMD label.

This is exactly as previously posted on the main page about a month ago, the labels are obvious and the difference in the lettering clear. They are so bad that the bottom edge of the label is even jagged!

The distri immediately confirmed "problems" with the chips and had them uplifted by courier from us within a couple of hours - obviously trying to prevent another leak of images though the old images would suffice. I didn't have enough prescence of mind ot note the displayed batch code nor did I have a camera to record the event, just be warned.

To re-iterate, they are easy to detect. Just look at the label and if there is a point source of light nearby angle the chip so that the light shines onto the edge. On a properly labelled chip the label is chamfered with it reflecting light as such, on a mis-labelled chip there is no chamfer to reflect the light but at the correct angle the distinct edge of the top label is easy to see (use a magnifying glass or do as I do and just hold your spectacle lens a few inches from the chip if necessary).

So be warned, they're at it again. :mad:

Locking there chips is riduculous, i understand they want us consumers to pay a premium for there faster processors but what is the percentage of actual customers that are overclocking, probably less then 5% of there total sales. Its riduclous.

Originally posted by Marcdaddy
Locking there chips is riduculous, i understand they want us consumers to pay a premium for there faster processors but what is the percentage of actual customers that are overclocking, probably less then 5% of there total sales. Its riduclous.

Ummm, you completely missed the point man. The reason AMD is locking the chips is NOT us overclockers. They are locking the chips because of what happened to the original poster. Some people are buying cheep chips, modifying them to higher specs, and then relabeling them to the higher model numbers, and selling them to the public that way. Try to keep up :)

Originally posted by DocFaustus
The reason AMD is locking the chips is NOT us overclockers. They are locking the chips because of what happened to the original poster. Some people are buying cheep chips, modifying them to higher specs, and then relabeling them to the higher model numbers, and selling them to the public that way. Try to keep up :)

... Which is the exact same reason why Intel CPUs have been locked since the PentiumMMX.

Originally posted by Marcdaddy

Did you by chance read the origional post?

i just got a locked 2500+ and i like it a ton better than my unlocked one. im running 2480mhz and my old one would not boot at anuthing over 2420mhz

Back