Fallout 3 crashing thread

After installing 182.06 drivers for my GTX 280 and playing with Fallout 3 with version 1.1, I get a BSOD that causes my system to restart. I think I was using 181.00 previously and I had a freeze that would outline everything with artifacts and then went back to normal, but with half the FPS I was previously getting. I'll try playing again with no other applications open, but it's weird since I could have everything open previously and it doesn't make sense to me if I cannot now.

I just installed it and can't even start a new game, I just get a black screen and a message saying it's not responding. I've tried the common fixes with no effect, the weird thing is it worked before when I had the 4870 card and right now I have the 4890. I also have a Xonar D2X but I've already disabled DS3D GX.

Just bought this game for 360 and have had it lock on my twice... I read that I should delete the cache and will try that. If this continues to be a problem I'll have no option but to return the game.

Just bought this game for 360 and have had it lock on my twice... I read that I should delete the cache and will try that. If this continues to be a problem I'll have no option but to return the game.
You know what sucks about games? You buy a game that is a buggy and unplayable but companies don't allow return of them.

Yeah it does suck... they will exchange it... but the thing is with an xbox it's not like I can just upgrade the driver or something. It's pretty much fucked if clearing the cache doesn't work.

After installing 182.06 drivers for my GTX 280 and playing with Fallout 3 with version 1.1, I get a BSOD that causes my system to restart. I think I was using 181.00 previously and I had a freeze that would outline everything with artifacts and then went back to normal, but with half the FPS I was previously getting. I'll try playing again with no other applications open, but it's weird since I could have everything open previously and it doesn't make sense to me if I cannot now.

BSOD is not a Video driver issue. It is a memory problem.

ATI 4850
Athlon X2 6000
4GB of RAM
Official Version 1.5 patch, nothing else.

The only crashes I've gotten are from mods, and they're pretty rare.

My fallout 3 crashes randomly and also crashes every single time i quit the game. I think it's from downloading the DLC. It used to be a little bit buggy before but never crashed my computer upon exiting. it looks i'll be waiting for bethesda to patch it before i play it again, and unfortunately the patch that just came out doesn't fix it...

I don't know if this has been posted in here yet.... I didn't read through all the pages in my hurry to post. Here's a link where you can fine tune your Fallout: http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html.
I have gone through my ini file with a fine toothed comb and rarely crash anymore, I play at 1920 X 1200 with everything turned up max.
There is also a tweakguides for Oblivion....
You should also use your Task Manager and turn off what you don't need while playing. I usually get my Commit Charge down to around 190ish after a reboot before going in game. Also if your Video card is overclocked... you might try it at stock speed. These two games seem to get fussy about overclocked cards.
Hope this helps some of you here.

Last edited:
Not a crash, but on the same topic, I was playing fallout 3 on 360 yesterday and I was wandering through the wastlands when various items started to have beam looking things shoot diagonally into the sky. Some came from the ground, some from the eyes of creatures... in all there were a good 10-15 within view.

My fallout 3 crashes randomly and also crashes every single time i quit the game. I think it's from downloading the DLC. It used to be a little bit buggy before but never crashed my computer upon exiting. it looks i'll be waiting for bethesda to patch it before i play it again, and unfortunately the patch that just came out doesn't fix it...

This EXACT thing happened to me after the Point Lookout DLC was added. I mean, months of wandering the wasteland with few crashes, then bam, every 3-8 minutes. I was so frustrated. I updated to latest sound drivers and the Nvidia drivers out this month and all was well again.

This EXACT thing happened to me after the Point Lookout DLC was added. I mean, months of wandering the wasteland with few crashes, then bam, every 3-8 minutes. I was so frustrated. I updated to latest sound drivers and the Nvidia drivers out this month and all was well again.

I didn't even realise Point Outlook was out, is this DLC any good?

I updated my drivers and now when after 5 minutes or so the game crashes to my desktop without an error message. Help?

Well now it's a mix between crashes with and crashes without. But I only crash outside in the wasteland and not in places in like megaton

Last edited:
I updated my drivers and now when after 5 minutes or so the game crashes to my desktop without an error message. Help?

Well now it's a mix between crashes with and crashes without. But I only crash outside in the wasteland and not in places in like megaton

Roll back your drivers

I bought it but haven't played it yet. Zombie hunting is always good

The only crashes I get are due to alt tabbing, however one version of it is, it seems like my game isn't properly bound in that My mouse is affecting stuff on the desktop, i.e. I'll be highlighting over a folder and it'll show it blink in the game, and after a few seconds if i'm clicking to much it'll select the item on the desktop causign an alt-tab which doesn't let me alt-tab back into the game. Also the sidebar casues the game to have a flicker, however closing the sidebar fixes this. What I've noticed is that the best solutions for these bugs is to have a clear desktop with nothing on the edges of the screen. Xfire especially makes it angry.

I played this game for a couple hours before it started crashing. It started doing it within 5mins of starting the game. I didn't go through this entire thread but I did try a few of the solutions posted. None of them worked for me or even helped it. I tried clocking my video card back to stock, fresh install, changing some .ini settings, shutting off the radio and music. None of that helped. I usually use my wired Xbox 360 controller to play this game and it has worked flawlessly up until this point I guess. My girlfriend was using the controller to play mario kart on her pc so I fired up Fallout 3 without the controller. This time I played for about an hour without a single hic-up. I hope that this will help someone else in the same boat as me.

Back