Fallout 3 for console ???

Loggahead

Limp Gawd
Who's getting it? What's your reasoning for buying on console vs pc? Are you excited about it? Is it just going to be Fall-Blivion?

I must start by saying that I am not actually all that excited about Fallout 3. Not because Im afraid it strays too far from Interplay's original, but because Im just apathetic to all new releases at the moment. Nothing on the horizon has me excited... No, not even Gears 2. Maybe that's the best situation to be in as Im not all junked up on the hype machine?

I could possibly run F3 on my 880gts 320mb card according to the PC manual quote:
Fallout 3 used some of the most advanced graphics effects available today aimed at achieving real-time performance for a great game playing experience. The game was developed and tested using NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8, 9 and GTX 200 Series graphics cards and the intended experience can be more fully realized on GeForce 8, 9 and GTX 200 Series graphics hardware. On a GeForce 8600 or better you will be able to turn on all of the NVIDIA special effect features at higher resolutions of the game.

But Im thinking it sure would be nice playing the game on a 42" 1080p SHARP tv with a nice Sony 6.1 surround sound setup (Yes Tiger, I do support Sony... sometimes) all from the comfort of my couch.

My favorite and when I say favorite, I mean absolute favorite game of all time is WASTELAND by Interplay and Brian Fargo of which the Fallout series was the spiritual successor to. Maybe Fallout 3 will take me by surprise.

-logga

If I was starting a war I would have posted this under PC sub or in general. Im honestly wondering what everyone's opinion is on the console version.

Well the reviews say the PC version is the best. An 8800GTS should run/look as good or better than what the consoles will do with this game.

I just don't see the advantage to playing this game on console. Worse graphics and no mod support which is a deal breaker for me. The mods improved the value of Oblivion 10 fold. And I hope FO3 is the same way. I suspect there will be a lot of things I can't stand about the gameplay that modders can fix. :)

I thought I read somewhere that Beth wasn't releasind an SDK for F3? Has this been confirmed or changed?

Modding is a big perk (pun intended), but so is vegging out on the couch with surround sound (only have Klipsch 2.1's on my pc).

Are you a returning Fallout player?

I'm getting it for the console. It's a pseudo RPG, so I'd rather just sit back and play it with everything locked at a good FPS than having to worry about the ups and downs in PC framerates. Plus, it's not a finesse shooter where every single shot has to be perfect. Besides, I have no clue if my 8800 will even do well with it. 720p upscaled looks better on the 360 than 1280x720 on the PC IMO. I did a lot of comparisons with Bioshock and Oblivion. Both of them have framerates that'll go from 100 to 15 in a matter of seconds. At least the console ones stays consistent, which I prefer.
Still, if I had a newer video card, I'd get the PC one. You can always just use the 360 pad to play them the same way. There's also the option for mods and homemade patches, too.

I'm getting it for the console. It's a pseudo RPG, so I'd rather just sit back and play it with everything locked at a good FPS than having to worry about the ups and downs in PC framerates. Plus, it's not a finesse shooter where every single shot has to be perfect. Besides, I have no clue if my 8800 will even do well with it. 720p upscaled looks better on the 360 than 1280x720 on the PC IMO. I did a lot of comparisons with Bioshock and Oblivion. Both of them have framerates that'll go from 100 to 15 in a matter of seconds. At least the console ones stays consistent, which I prefer.
Still, if I had a newer video card, I'd get the PC one. You can always just use the 360 pad to play them the same way. There's also the option for mods and homemade patches, too.

Word is that the 360 has a surprisingly rock-solid framerate. That's good news.

If I get it, it'll be on PC. Modders will make or break this game for me (yes, I know there's no SDK... but that just makes things harder, not impossible).

If I get it, it'll be on PC. Modders will make or break this game for me (yes, I know there's no SDK... but that just makes things harder, not impossible).

Gotcha. They are still planning on releasing mod tools just not for release day right?

Console versions have blurry background textures to keep the frame rate up, so I read. PS3 has more blur than 360 too, just like GTAIV had. PS3 GTAIV background textures look like crap on my 62" projector screen. That means PC for me because I have 4870, 3.4GHZ dual core cpu and 4GB ram.

I will get it for the 360, as the 360 is getting exclusive DLC content, which I love extra content!

do you really think that an 8800gtx will do so poorly with it? I mean, i can run crysis on my rig @ 1050x1680 on high settings (without those patch things) and get a respectable frame rate...

I am in the midst of this dilemma right now. I got a Intel E8400, Radeon HD4850, and 4GB of RAM, so I can definitely run this at max settings with a high framerate (I am assuming), but the 360 was the lead platform for developers. That means the most time and care was spent making the 360 version. But, running it on the 360 I will be upscaling to 1680x1050 via VGA, with looks great, but I will not get the level of detail if I run it on the PC natively at that res.

Still, I am afraid that, like Oblivion,the outdoor settings will be GPU killers and cause framerates to drop below 30fps.

Buying the PC version is taking a chance on performance. Buying the 360 version removes that uncertainty. However, committing to the 360 version guarantees a step down in detail/resolution.

I'm completely torn.

do you really think that an 8800gtx will do so poorly with it? I mean, i can run crysis on my rig @ 1050x1680 on high settings (without those patch things) and get a respectable frame rate...

I dunno. I think in my case, I'm running everything on my TV so for the PC I pretty much need to run at 1920x1080. When running things at 1280x720 on the PC (720p), the 360 version shockingly tends to look better than the scaled version on the PC. I know that the PS3 Oblivion and 360 Bioshock looked better than their 1280x720 equivalent on my PC. Like I mentioned, PC games seem have have weird framerates that spike a lot and it drives me nuts.

If there's a demo I'll probably give it a go just to see. I would prefer a PC version just because I can always play with my 360 pad.

I think the main thing about the game is that it doesn't sound like any of the versions will suck :)

I will get it for the 360, as the 360 is getting exclusive DLC content, which I love extra content!

What type though? Dog armor?

It is so much easier to release content over the internet than over XBL, I would take that announcement with a grain of salt. Any significant game content will get distributed to both Xbox and the PC users. PC users will probably get it first, since the barriers to distribution are minimal compare to XBL.

I'm playing the 360 version and I have no plans on trying the PC version. I'm not a graphics whore so I don't need 1680x1050, 4xAA, 16xAF,etc. and the VATS combat system compensates for the lack of mouse aiming on 360.

I'm not worried about what mods might come out for the PC since, 35 hours in, I have no problem playing vanilla style another 60+ hours with different characters.

I am in the midst of this dilemma right now. I got a Intel E8400, Radeon HD4850, and 4GB of RAM, so I can definitely run this at max settings with a high framerate (I am assuming), but the 360 was the lead platform for developers. That means the most time and care was spent making the 360 version. But, running it on the 360 I will be upscaling to 1680x1050 via VGA, with looks great, but I will not get the level of detail if I run it on the PC natively at that res.

Still, I am afraid that, like Oblivion,the outdoor settings will be GPU killers and cause framerates to drop below 30fps.

Buying the PC version is taking a chance on performance. Buying the 360 version removes that uncertainty. However, committing to the 360 version guarantees a step down in detail/resolution.

I'm completely torn.

I feel the same way plus I like playing on my couch rather than hunched over my desk. Also 42" LCD > 24".

I think I'm going to get it on the 360 first then on the PC once it's cheaper and mods start coming out. I guess...:confused:

Actually, the above might not be a bad move. Get the console one now and you an count on the PC version dropping in price much faster. You can get year-old PC games for 1/3 of their initial price these days. By then, there will be a ton of mods and cheat codes to essentially re-create any of your savegames/progress from the console version.

It is so much easier to release content over the internet than over XBL, I would take that announcement with a grain of salt. Any significant game content will get distributed to both Xbox and the PC users. PC users will probably get it first, since the barriers to distribution are minimal compare to XBL.

They already said it is exclusive to the 360 only...not available on the PC or PS3. It is "episodic" content, which is adding more chapters/gameplay (think GTA IV, Tomb Raider, etc).

Actually, the above might not be a bad move. Get the console one now and you an count on the PC version dropping in price much faster. You can get year-old PC games for 1/3 of their initial price these days. By then, there will be a ton of mods and cheat codes to essentially re-create any of your savegames/progress from the console version.

Oblivion Gold for PC still costs $69.99 at Futureshop up here in Canada. I bet FS management are scratching their heads wondering why they don't sell many copies of such a highly rated game and not realizing it is because they are dumbasses.

PC games do not go for 1/3 of their intial price in a years time. What kind of shit have you been smokin'

They already said it is exclusive to the 360 only...not available on the PC or PS3. It is "episodic" content, which is adding more chapters/gameplay (think GTA IV, Tomb Raider, etc).

Dude, are you familiar with the Mods avaiable for oblivion. I guarantee that there with be 200% more content available for the PC in a years time than any console version

i'll be going pc with this release... and lo and behold, it's available everywhere in oshawa, ontario.

i think i'll pick it up tonight.... i've really got a game overload happening now.

Assuming Fallout 3 is similar to Oblivion, mods should be out very quickly. I'd guess there may even be a few simple one out day one. I'd bet it gets uncensored very soon.

PC games do not go for 1/3 of their intial price in a years time. What kind of shit have you been smokin'

At my Target, pretty much any PC game that isn't brand new (aka. 6 months older or greater) pretty much gets an orange sticker and a 50%+ markdown. None of my local game stores really sell PC games, so that's th only comparison I have.
Crysis is $20, UT3, too. NWN Gold's $20. Oblivion is $26. Hellgate was $8, and that was before the company even announce it was going kuput.
The only games I'm seeing at retail price on the PC are Guitar Hero, WoW, and the Sims.

Isn't anything that has been announced, but not released, vaporware?

Bummer that you think the Fallout team are probably liars too. :rolleyes:

I don't think we a re questioning the intent of the marketers, but additional content on XBL has a checkered past. Sometimes games release actual new additional content at regular intervals, other times these things never come out, are unlocked on the actual disc (a scam), or are designed only to grab some more money from your pocket at a specified date, meaning they have it ready at launch, but hold off until a specified date.

In general, additional content on the PC is stronger than on the 360, just because it is easier and cheaper to develop for and distribution is simple and easy.

I never count on 360 DLC. But it is nice when it is there and up to par.

How dare you turn this thread into a flame war with your pathetic comments.

It'll surely be awesome dlc like horse armor!!!!!1

/in case it even needs to be said, i was joking

Dude, are you familiar with the Mods avaiable for oblivion. I guarantee that there with be 200% more content available for the PC in a years time than any console version

Yup..familiar with the mods. However, that has nothing to do with the Xbox 360, the DLC being made for it, as well as the additional achievements they add.

But that's ok.

Did any pick it up yet? I don't know how, but my boss got it yesterday after work. Somehow he talked some sap into selling it to him. He was too busy playing on 360 to give me a report of it.

In general, additional content on the PC is stronger than on the 360, just because it is easier and cheaper to develop for and distribution is simple and easy.
Every single bit of official content for Oblivion came out on both the PC and 360 - usually on the same day. It's not even that hard to do if you keep your wits about you when you're developing. Heck, if you modded the Xbox version of Morrowind, you could even insert some of the same PC mods.

So, I wouldn't take a dump on the 360 version's DLC yet. In fact, I'd say the same for the PS3, but system memory issues come into play more, which is why I suspect they were totally willing to have "exclusive content" for the 360 and PC - there's some stuff they probably just won't be able to do on the PS3.

There was a ton of extra content in Oblivion. Everything from the small mini missions all the way up to the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. I'd suspect we'll just see those items only going to the PC and 360.

Fallout for anything but PC is a sin against mankind.

To repent, you must soak your console in goat blood, and put the game disc in the microwave on high for five minutes.

Fallout for anything but PC is a sin against mankind.

To repent, you must soak your console in goat blood, and put the game disc in the microwave on high for five minutes.

Bethesda must be the ultimate sinners then considering they made this game for both the PS3 and the 360. So for me, 360 now and PC when it hits the bargain bin. :D

Get the PC version. When Shacknews gave PC Fallout 3 props I was surprised as hell. They tend to be 360 biased IMHO. Below is a snipet from the review.

"Fallout 3 is a PC game. Sure, it's an Xbox 360 game, too. And it's a PlayStation 3 game, I guess. It's also an RPG, technically.

But when you get at the heart of it, Fallout 3 feels like a game designed for the PC. It has the soul of a big-boxed, full-manual, five-CD game from 1998. It has all the complexity and addictiveness of a System Shock, or a Deus Ex--or, yes, a Fallout."

read the full review here.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1037

Get the PC version. When Shacknews gave PC Fallout 3 props I was surprised as hell. They tend to be 360 biased IMHO. Below is a snipet from the review.

"Fallout 3 is a PC game. Sure, it's an Xbox 360 game, too. And it's a PlayStation 3 game, I guess. It's also an RPG, technically.

But when you get at the heart of it, Fallout 3 feels like a game designed for the PC. It has the soul of a big-boxed, full-manual, five-CD game from 1998. It has all the complexity and addictiveness of a System Shock, or a Deus Ex--or, yes, a Fallout."

read the full review here.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1037

That's a pretty heavy review. Lets hope they weren't being too nice.

"And on a solid PC, with 4X AA and a widescreen monitor, Fallout 3 looks as good as it's ever going to get.

More than that, as I stated above, Fallout 3 just feels like a PC game. This is an immersive FPS-RPG in the classic sense. It's a game to be played a few feet from a monitor, with thick headphones clapped around your skull--preferably in the dark.

Even weighing the presentational advantages of a home theater setup, for me, the Fallout 3 platform of choice is the PC. Take a look at the system reqs first, of course. If you have the means, I highly recommend it - Nick Breckon "

Back