Fallout: New Vegas - Questions/Opinions

Downloading it from steam right now. I loved FO3 and it ran fine in eyefinity on my current rig, I'm hoping this one will run fine as well. :D

For now, you have to go into the folder that contains the Data Files and modify the date.... hmmm.... not sure if fallout mod manager is ready to do that for New Vegas.

I'm waiting for FOMM. At the rate I'm seeing stuff show up I wouldn't be halfway surprised to see it show up today.

I'm waiting for FOMM. At the rate I'm seeing stuff show up I wouldn't be halfway surprised to see it show up today.

I know, pretty wild how things transfer fast. Not sure about FOMM showing up today, but I guess you never know. Anyways, it's just a matter of changing the file's date. The games always load them that way.

Playing it so far, it has "awesome" potential.. If it didn't run like clogged plumbing. Fallout 3, I would have 60fps most of the time, everywhere.. Outside in New Vegas, I get around 45-50fps, and if I go up to an NPC and stand there, if it so much as blinks, instant 50% framerate loss.. 2 or 3 NPCs on the screen yammering, and the framerate goes into the teens.. If I kill them all, it goes back up.

I'm having the exact same issue. My frame rate tanks into the teens or single digits while talking to an NPC and at random times while just walking and looking around... can be indoors or outdoors. Then it'll shoot back up and be smooth as silk as soon as the conversation ends or I look away from the "trouble" area.

I never had any issues like this in FO3 so I have to assume it's a bug at this point. Maybe it's related to Nvidia drivers or SLI? I hope to figure it out soon as it's ruining the gameplay and overall experience for me.

I'm having the exact same issue. My frame rate tanks into the teens or single digits while talking to an NPC...

Someone on the Bethesda boards seems to have pinpointed the problem.

I'm at work, so I can't comfirm personally but it seems dropping in a DX9 dll resolves the issue. Numerous random interweb people have confirmed it works. Since 7 and Vista emulate 9 it does make sense. Multiple threads from different forums seem to confirm it fixes this and it seems to fix the gross VATS lag as well.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123465-fix-found-for-windows-7-and-windows-vista/

I'm at work, so I can't comfirm personally but it seems dropping in a DX9 dll resolves the issue. Numerous random interweb people have confirmed it works. Since 7 and Vista emulate 9 it does make sense. Multiple threads from different forums seem to confirm it fixes this and it seems to fix the gross VATS lag as well.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123465-fix-found-for-windows-7-and-windows-vista/

And in case you don't like downloading a random file, it exists on your install too:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/

Thanks for posting that!

Vista/7 don't emulate DX9, they use a re-written version of it called DX9.0L which is actually more oprimised and faster than DX9.0c on XP.

If there's an issue I doubt it's with DX or windows, it's with the crappy engine.

Vista/7 don't emulate DX9, they use a re-written version of it called DX9.0L which is actually more oprimised and faster than DX9.0c on XP.

If there's an issue I doubt it's with DX or windows, it's with the crappy engine.

I snagged the info from the DX wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_10

It is a crappy engine, and it won't take care of the micro-stutter that has plagued all the Gamebryo powered games thus far.

But there are dozens of users who report that this fix works for the NPC issue.

It wouldn't be a Gamebyro-powered game if it didn't launch with all kinds of bugs. I'm surprised people aren't screaming about there being more CTDs than game time like FO3 and Oblivion were at launch.

It wouldn't be a Gamebyro-powered game if it didn't launch with all kinds of bugs. I'm surprised people aren't screaming about there being more CTDs than game time like FO3 and Oblivion were at launch.

Maybe things actually have improved... or maybe people already expect as much with Gamebryo games.

Am I the only person who feels the visuals are just fine? Sure it's not Crysis, but it's an RPG not a FPS - it doesn't have to have the best graphics in the world. I have a better PC than most so I can play Metro and Crysis maxed out if I want, but the gameplay in Fallout 3 is better.

And at 1920x1200, max detail, 8X AA the game looks fine. /shrug

Am I the only person who feels the visuals are just fine? Sure it's not Crysis, but it's an RPG not a FPS - it doesn't have to have the best graphics in the world. I have a better PC than most so I can play Metro and Crysis maxed out if I want, but the gameplay in Fallout 3 is better.

And at 1920x1200, max detail, 8X AA the game looks fine. /shrug

The game looks great to me as well with everything maxed out at the same resolution.

YES, my cursory test confirms this works!!!! I went from 35fps standing outside of the Saloon, walking in to a bunch of people talking and dropping into the teens, to a solid 60fps!!

You deserve a WHOLE CASE OF BEER!!! :D

Now, I'm not here to "rail on" F:NV, but I am seriously confused as to how anyone could not only feel these visuals are "up to par" to this generation, but how they could stand even looking at what F:NV is offering in terms of visuals.

Stopped reading at this bit of pretentious bullshit.

News flash: games do not have to look like Crysis to be great games.

Personally I think the graphics are fine. I think the graphics have finally reached the point, to me, where they really don't have to keep upping the "realism" of them.. Who needs completely photo-realistic graphics, other than those without an iota of imagination?

The graphics of games today far surpasses that of the 2d graphics of old, and they've never been better.. Sure some games are "prettier" but if that's all the game has going for it, who cares?

We will probably be reaching the limits of how much graphical power we can squeeze into a video card pretty soon... I'd rather developers start working on distance and LOD more than prettying things up. I want more distance and "clutter" without framerate drop... Plus it would be nice to have all of that and card that uses under 100W.

Leave photo-realism to CGI movies with large rendering farms. At least we aren't playing games that look like an animated painting on a screen door anymore.

YES, my cursory test confirms this works!!!! I went from 35fps standing outside of the Saloon, walking in to a bunch of people talking and dropping into the teens, to a solid 60fps!!

You deserve a WHOLE CASE OF BEER!!! :D

As a sufferer of Asian flush, you can keep your beer.

Glad it worked. I'm quite eager to go home in five minutes, pop in the quick fix, get sucked in, and then have to drag my ass to fencing in an hour. Every bout, I'm going to see my opponent in a VATS like cut out.

Head meshes seem to be a bit different, too. I tried importing the Fallout 3 moded hairstyles and they all clip horribly. I'll leave it up to the pros.

As a sufferer of Asian flush, you can keep your beer.

Glad it worked. I'm quite eager to go home in five minutes, pop in the quick fix, get sucked in, and then have to drag my ass to fencing in an hour. Every bout, I'm going to see my opponent in a VATS like cut out.

Head meshes seem to be a bit different, too. I tried importing the Fallout 3 moded hairstyles and they all clip horribly. I'll leave it up to the pros.

Damn, be careful.. Seems the site that was hosting the file is serving ads infected with a virus... Apparently NoScript saved me from becoming infected.

The file is now being hosted on the New Vegas Nexus site.

Apparently, this is an old Fallout 3 bug that Obsidian re-introduced to the engine.

Last edited:
News flash: They should at least look like they were released in 2010 and not 2004.

News Flash: Everyone is still playing UE3 games, playing the 360, Playstation, and the Wii. Not to mention Valve's dinosaur multiplayer shooters are going strong.

Really, there isn't too much over 10-20 games in existence of our history that are better than New Vegas.

awesome.

it shows me as have a gs7200 or something video card , (i have a 4890) , but it runs wayyyy better, almost makes me want to restart considering i was stuck playing on 1280 res and medium settings with no AA today to see if that would make a difference (it didnt) , but now it feels so much smoother, i love it.

News flash: They should at least look like they were released in 2010 and not 2004.

This report just in! Game does not look like it was produced in 2004.

ut2k4jb2sized.jpg

Some patch is coming through now on Steam that I'm seeing. Decent size, too. Anyone know what this is?

WRONG... gameplay/visuals are equal... there's a synchronicity between the two. Yes, gameplay is equally important, and the visuals don't have to be Crysis, but there is a limit to just how bad they can be before interfering with the experience/immersion of a game.

I understand some people need pretty visuals, but I've got to admit Minecraft has me hook line and sinker and their visuals are on par with stuff 2 decades old. Gameplay > Visuals

It's actually taking me out of the immersion the game might have to otherwise offer...looks almost a decade old.
Deus Ex is a decade old. Most people didn't have good 3d acceleration back then and probably ran it at 640x480 or less.
Oblivion came out in 2006.
the game looks fine. /shrug
Because you seem to be a gamer and not a poser who just builds computers then only games because you feel obligated to get more than bragging rights out of the project. Or for those who remain humble "shit I just wasted a lot of money". Call me cynical but I'm browsing the for sale section all the time with people getting rid of brand new high end stuff with some story about rent or food. And more threads of people going "yeah I threw down a few G's... someone want to research for me what software I should use with it?"

Fallout games were never about graphics. I played through Fallout 2 again during the Summer. A high resolution mod (still 256 colors though) modernized it well. Honestly Blizzard could have just done something similar with SC to keep it going. Though 3d does give them a better medium for story telling.

Games are not necessarily released to appease the hardware posers, sometimes they actually want to create something for gamers to play. I don't like how it's expected that every game should be a tech demo like Crysis or Mirror's Edge rather than actually something of depth. Consoles aren't changing so graphics aren't changing since everything is cross platform now. Remember the HD 4000's came out in 2008. They're two years old and still run modern games (usually at medium/high). Does a geforce 3 run UT2k3 very well? Does a GF 6 run Bioshock? This is a disruption in the usual pattern of video game graphics we have now. Consoles more or less are guiding the progress now.

So those of you who are saying like "well excuse me for having some graphical expectations but...". You can still admit that you're aware it's taboo to some gamers, but it doesn't change the fact you're still complaining about graphics. NV look 4 years old because the Xbox 360 is 4 years old. Play Deus Ex if you really care about gameplay. A game that old makes one appreciate what at least Fallout has.

The Gamebyro engine should be scrapped not because it looks dated compared to everything else now, but because it is so unstable and crash-prone.

The Gamebyro engine should be scrapped not because it looks dated compared to everything else now, but because it is so unstable and crash-prone.

No matter what engine they use it will be buggy as hell, goes with the territory of the type of game. Big open world games will always be buggy and have issues.

PS: The engine isn't unstable or crash prone. Bethesda and Obsidian are utterly incapable of developing solidly built titles. CivIV used Gamebryo without any of the widespread issues in NV, FO3, Oblivion, or Morrowind.

buggy pos.

Decided to buy it on Steam and it's barely playable....

FPS drops on my system are horrible... 25 fps when looking at NPC,,, Really?

There does appear to be some severe FPS drops when NPCs get numerous on screen, I dumped my settings from Ultra (about 30-40fps) down to High (about 60-80fps) to deal with this issue. Should be better once they fix crossfire!

Funny thing GPU is only used ~30-40% no matter what is on screen.

Funny thing GPU is only used ~30-40% no matter what is on screen.

Not questioning that this isn't true.. but how do you know that? I.e. is there some gpu monitoring program that I don't have?

Since we've all figured out that this thing ported over the good, bad, and ugly from Fallout 3, guess what?

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

^^ This will once again go a long ways to helping us all out. I've already done some of the settings myself and I'm basically back to redoing all my old tricks from Fallout 3.

The same console codes, the same cheats, the same everything are all in this New Vegas game. Whatever tricks you had to use for Fallout 3? Use them again.

Not questioning that this isn't true.. but how do you know that? I.e. is there some gpu monitoring program that I don't have?

There's a whole bunch of apps that graph GPU usage, I use MSI's Afterburner, it graphs both my GPUs, while 1 seems quite active the 2nd GPU is flat line at 0% so crossfire is definitely broken.

It's possible to get less than 100% GPU usage if you become CPU limited, I don't think New Vegas is especially CPU heavy so there is probably some bug causing this.

buggy pos.

Decided to buy it on Steam and it's barely playable....

FPS drops on my system are horrible... 25 fps when looking at NPC,,, Really?

Its a bug and there are a couple fixes for it that work awesome.

I'm beginning to fall back into love with this game. I almost wish it could carry my old FO:3 character over, keep the character level, and just increase the baddies effectiveness to compensate.

I've played about 3 hours total, and I'm liking it. Sticking to the roads, looting, and causing firefights with traders, just like the old time. Not liking the different ammo choices. Doesnt seem to be much to explore, or nothing really catches my attention. I havnt wandered into any shacks and found any npc's for quests, such as the NukaCola challenge, i'm hoping some of that pops up. Going to go fix the eyebot, and move all of my goods into my room at Novac. I'm probably going to go NCR, but i'm a equal opertunity killer, so NCR may get killed too.

Graphics are good but the game beats up my sig rig. @ 1080, with all detail maxed, get horrendous lag outs. Almost unbearable, a simple pc reboot takes care of it. Hopefully patches and whatnot can fix it, we'll see.

Back