fallout problem (same with oblivion)

SouLXIV

Gawd
I solved the problem with the mouse lag w/ ATT, but I notice that there's constant "lag" like in oblivion, with or without vsync. The fps really isn't lagging, but it just feels like the frames are skipping a little bit. I had the same problem in oblivion and someone said it's just the way the engine is, something about loading from disk. Is there anyway to fix this?

Sounds like the frames to skip ahead thing located in the drivers. I think people solved this by putting it on zero or one (normal is ~3).

Unless you are posting about cell loading. Oblivion uses a cell system in which a new cell loads when the player travels into it. This is only a momentary loading though. The game still does loading on the fly for smaller objects, but I don't think that would affect you as much as you state.

Sounds like the frames to skip ahead thing located in the drivers. I think people solved this by putting it on zero or one (normal is ~3).

Unless you are posting about cell loading. Oblivion uses a cell system in which a new cell loads when the player travels into it. This is only a momentary loading though. The game still does loading on the fly for smaller objects, but I don't think that would affect you as much as you state.

well I thought it was the cell loading problem. It doesn't occur in all areas, but it's not complex vs simple.

Could you elaborate on the skip ahead thing? I'm not sure where to find the option.

well I thought it was the cell loading problem. It doesn't occur in all areas, but it's not complex vs simple.

Could you elaborate on the skip ahead thing? I'm not sure where to find the option.

If you're using nvidia then go to the nvidia control panel and go to "Manage 3D settings." You should see "Maximum pre-rendered frames." Mine is already set to zero so I'm not sure if all newer nvidia drivers do this. Back in 2006/2007, this was called a different thing and was usually set to three.

Maybe bumping it up would help if it is already at zero. Can't hurt to try.

Flip Queue Size
using ati tray tools

setting it to 2 should fix most problems, anything lower will probably be a hit on ur FPS count, think of it kinda like vsync

k well I tried a lot of things, including that, but I realized it's a much more serious issue. Nothing fixed it, other than setting the iFPS clap from 0 to 60, but then the game is like twice as fast and will go slomo if fps drop under 60.

So far nobody found a solution yet, I've searched everywhere. zzz really takes away from the gameplay.

I saw a solution on the official forums for this that let you set it to 30 instead of 60, i'll try and find it again.

yeah I saw that, but that sets the max fps down to 30, and the game runs faster than usual so dialogues are out of sync

Stiler, I got that program to work. However, setting it at 60 still doesn't eliminate the stuttering for some reason, especially when my FPS drop below 60 (even though there's no more slomo).

A lot of people are saying to set it at 30, and it feels super smooth for them. But what I don't get is, isnt 30 fps lagging? If I do that it feels even worse tha nthe usual 60+ "stutter lag" because this is actually REAL lagging.

30 solid fps is generally not going to feel "laggy" to most people.

You shouldn't notice a huge difference unless you were playing say, a game like Quake/UT or other more fast paced type of shooter.

Many console based games are actually limited to 30fps.

It can depend on the person really, myself I don't generally notice lag to be a problem until it hits the lower 20's/high teen area, then it[s bothersome.

I Just tried out this fix, setting the FPS Limiter to 30 and changing the "fallout3.ini" setting "iFPSClamp=30" and it works superbly! Microstutter is completely eliminated and the frame rate is smooth and consistant. It's given me fresh eyes for Fallout 3 :eek: Cheers :p

whatttt lol...to me there's a HUGE difference between 30fps and 60 fps. 60fps feels super smooth, anything above that I can't tell, but 30 fps feels laggy and stuttery itself. I guess I'm used to FPS or something.

whatttt lol...to me there's a HUGE difference between 30fps and 60 fps. 60fps feels super smooth, anything above that I can't tell, but 30 fps feels laggy and stuttery itself. I guess I'm used to FPS or something.

Have you tried out the fix on FO3 yet? I highly recommend it.

In fraps FO3 was, for the most part, running between 45-60 FPS. Some areas it dipped down to 33 FPS so I figured running it at a constant 30fps would even things out and it did. 30 fps sure is no 60 fps, but it's just fine for a game like FO3 imho.

I'm running FO3 @ 2560 x 1600 with 2x AA so if I wanted to make the FPS cap higher, just need to lower the res a bit. I think I have it at a nice performance to fidelity ratio right now tho. I could probably even get away with making the FPS cap 35 or 40 in the current res. Will test when I get home.

Back