Fan control on ASUS mobos? P5K/P5WDH

Deusfaux

Gawd
So I'm having a helluva time getting the fans down from 100% on a friend's P5K vanilla.

It's a 3pin Scythe, and Q-Fan / all 3 modes does absolutely nothing. I tried Speedfan on someone's suggestion and couldnt get that to drop down from 100% (1600rpm) either.

My last option appears to get a fan with a lower rpm @ 100%, but why can't I control it via the BIOS (or software?)

This leads me to two other boards. Another P5K vanilla with the stock intel 4pin fan. Now, I am able to change it from 2100rpm to 1300rpm - but that's with no consistent procedure, and just a bunch of enabling/disabling q-fan and reseting. If I try to just change the mode, nothing will happen, and sometimes upon reset the mode will have stayed changed, but there is no difference in fan speed. Something is buggered up in the way it works. Not to mention there are 3 modes, yet I can only get those 2 speeds. One of them isn't working.

My older P5W-DH, I've been told was the last ASUS board to support a BIOS option to change from 4pin to 3pin fan control (why did they take this out in future boards?).

Yet I somehow missed this and had a 3pin Scythe fan (same as first P5K) in there for over a year, and yet Q-Fan could control it just fine when BIOS was set to 4pin (PWM) mode.
Performance mode in Q-Fan would set it to 1600rpm, Optimal to 1200, and Silent to 800rpm.

How was it able to do that with a 3pin fan? Why can't the P5K do that?

For the record, when I did change it to 3pin mode in the BIOS, Optimal went down to 1000rpm, and I havent watched it long enough to see if it changes.

Unless you get a 4-pin CPU-fan it will be at 100% all the time, no matter the BIOS setting.

another thought: If there is Q-Fan control on the 2 chassis fan headers on this board, by nature of them being 3PIN headers, doesnt that mean this board is fully capable of controllign fan speed for 3pin fans?

Why the hell can't the CPU fan header do the same? It still has the rotation pin.

Why are some people saying you can't control 3pin fans on ASUS boards ?

Ahh, those people meant you cant control 3pin fans on the CPU header.

The CHASSIS headers are 3pin and lots of boards have Q-Fan support on those as well, so you can control fans on them.

The non ideal solution is to plug your CPU fan into a CHASSIS fan header.

This still sucks though because the Q-Fan options for CHASSIS headers are different from the CPU header. Instead of Performance/Optima/Silent modes, you have

Auto/90/80/70/60% - where Auto is based on a temperature you want the motherboard to get to, and the fan will speed up or down based on that. Even that part sucks cuz you can only change the desired mobo temp with additions of 3 degrees.

ASUS gave me a # to call, hopefully I can find out why DC control was removed from the CPU fan headers in their boards.

Back