Fan grill inside

mattt

n00b
Hey guys I've seen pics of pcs with their exhaust fans with a fan grill inside, what's the point of this and does it affect air flow?

example:
ssttj03sw1tlrgld1.jpg

well, maybe they keep people from getting their finger in the fans when they're running, but I don't know why anyone would be working on the computer with it running.

Could be to help keep the cables out too.

If you pick up the case and move it, cables could interfere with the fans.

The only time I've used fan grills inside a case it was purely for appearance. The effects of fan grills on performance depends largely on the design of the grill. The ones in the example you provided have next to no effect on air flow.

It does not hamper airflow (mabey about 0.0000000000000.........1 cfm) its so cords dont get into the fans and fingers, i work with my pc on all the time, (for instance when it's hanging i open it up and scream at the cpu to get bad spirits out of it)

digital_exhaust said:
The only time I've used fan grills inside a case it was purely for appearance. The effects of fan grills on performance depends largely on the design of the grill. The ones in the example you provided have next to no effect on air flow.

I know you meant performance of the fans, but when I read your post I pictured someone putting stickers on their car and adding 200HP, and related that to someone adding fan grills to boost the CPU's speed by 200MHz. :)

No effect on airflow, traps dust (I use one on each side), looks AWESOME, and keeps parts of my body out of the fan ;).

Yeah i thought they looked cool, that's why i was asking about airflow ect. as I was gonna get 1 D:

I find they do have an effect on air flow. They block air. They add noise. They also keep shit out of the fans.

I don't use them.

at 7v mine with and without a grille sound different.

really.

I've done it before, two different ways for 2 different reasons.

First, for computer systems I've built for others, that I thought it would just be eventual before they got their hands inside the case. People are generally dumb, and I wanted to keep them from dinging their fingers on a moving fan. :rolleyes:

Second, I did it with light-up fan grills, for the effect. If you're going for the gaudy, lit-up look on a windowed case, you can't beat lit-up fan grills! :D

I think its a bigger deal on cases that people haven't spent a lot of time doing wire management on. When you have wires dangling, the grills keep them from getting chewed up by the fans.

Back