Fan recommendation CFM/dBA

yowen

Gawd
I am in need of some 80mm fan expertise.

I have my computer on a shelf in this: http://www.target.com/p/Room-Essent...Espresso/-/A-12193616#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

It is a GD05B. With system specs in sig below.

I have an 80mm holesaw and was thinking about mounting two fans to the back wall of the tv stand to exhaust some air. I would like to do it near-silently, so would 20dBA be a good goal? Would that move a good amount of air?

Alternatively the 5.25" drive bay in the front is also unused, but I haven't seen anything I like to exhaust air in this manner (quietly).

I have already cut holes into the wood near the PSU and the side 120mm fans, but I am just not getting the cooling results I need.

Currently during load my CPU will get into the mid 80's celcius, sometimes even hitting 90 C.

Looking at that Target link... Is your case behind the right or left door, or in the middle shelf? If it's behind one of the doors, move it to one of the center shelves by itself, and see if you get the same temps. If it's in the center shelf already and you're getting 80-90 C, then I have to wonder what kind of HSF is on your processor.

A rough diagram showing where your case is in relation to the TV shelf would help, along with measurements on widths and how much clearance there is between the sides and back of the case and the nearest vertical wall. Pictures of the case in the stand along with the internals of the opened case would also help.

Alternatively, you could instead get an open-sided stand, which would make more sense for a case that pulls and pushes air from the sides of the case.

80mm ≠ silent

Especially if you need to move air.

Get a bigger hole saw, cut bigger holes and place 120mm fans in the location. That's what I did to my desk, only I think the hole was slightly smaller than 120mm.. think I used a 4.5" hole saw.

Looking at that Target link... Is your case behind the right or left door, or in the middle shelf? If it's behind one of the doors, move it to one of the center shelves by itself, and see if you get the same temps. If it's in the center shelf already and you're getting 80-90 C, then I have to wonder what kind of HSF is on your processor.

A rough diagram showing where your case is in relation to the TV shelf would help, along with measurements on widths and how much clearance there is between the sides and back of the case and the nearest vertical wall. Pictures of the case in the stand along with the internals of the opened case would also help.

Alternatively, you could instead get an open-sided stand, which would make more sense for a case that pulls and pushes air from the sides of the case.

It is on the top shelf in the center. with less than an inch clearance on the left and right. I did put holes going into the left and right, the left has one 120mm fan and the right has two 120mm fans. I also made a hole in the shelf for the PSU which blows out the bottom of the case. I'd say there is about 2 inches clearance on from the top of the case.

The CPU has the stock intel cooler on it.

Here is a picture.

case.jpg

Try taking the case out of the shelf and stressing the CPU. Just to make sure it's the location and not the case/hsf itself.

Try taking the case out of the shelf and stressing the CPU. Just to make sure it's the location and not the case/hsf itself.

I have done that and it causes temperatures to drop quickly and significantly. So that led me to believe the computer isn't getting adequate (fresh/cool) air.

Then get a 4.5 - 4.75" hole saw and use 120mm fans. They cost more, but you aren't going to get quiet 80mm fans that move a lot of air.

I think I'll get a jig saw instead, it is more versatile and the same price as a 4.5 inch hole saw.

What kind of 120mm fans do you guys generally recommend? There is only one fan header on the mobo, would I need a fan controller to be able to control the speeds of these 120mm fans?

I think I'll get a jig saw instead, it is more versatile and the same price as a 4.5 inch hole saw.

What kind of 120mm fans do you guys generally recommend? There is only one fan header on the mobo, would I need a fan controller to be able to control the speeds of these 120mm fans?

I used a spare PSU to power the 4 fans I had installed on my desk. No controller, I got fans that I could run at 100% and not notice them.

No longer use it though, since my computer is now too big to fit inside the desk cabinet area.

If it were me, since the front is wide open I'd have all the fans you mount to the cabinet exhaust fans. Sucking air in from the front and blowing it out. I'd also arrange the fans inside the case to suck air from the front of the case and exhaust it out the sides/rear.

If it were me, since the front is wide open I'd have all the fans you mount to the cabinet exhaust fans. Sucking air in from the front and blowing it out. I'd also arrange the fans inside the case to suck air from the front of the case and exhaust it out the sides/rear.

the case only has fans on the side, two 120mm's on the right and one 120mm on the left.

They are currently all setup to be intake fans... (Thats how this case comes from the factory)

Replace that Intel HSF with a better one. If you're still getting high temps, then start by porting the shelf near the intake and exhaust fans. Just having an open passage in the shelf near those existing case fans should make a significant impact.

Edit: Just saw the above post by yowen... Looking at the pics on Newegg, I thought the air was pulled in from the left and pushed out on the right.

Edit 2: I read through the manual for that case. It does state that all three are intake fans, and even recommended that if additional exhaust is needed to add some 80mm fans to the back directed to exhaust air out of the case. So that gives one option that is recommended by the manufacturer. You'd also need to port the back of the shelf to allow air to exit, instead of staying trapped in the narrow area.

Last edited:
Replace that Intel HSF with a better one. If you're still getting high temps, then start by porting the shelf near the intake and exhaust fans. Just having an open passage in the shelf near those existing case fans should make a significant impact.

Edit: Just saw the above post by yowen... Looking at the pics on Newegg, I thought the air was pulled in from the left and pushed out on the right.

I have already made ports near all 3 fans and my PSU.

I believe the stock HSF should be fine as this case works fine outside of the cabinet. It suggests a lack of air, a better HSF would still struggle with that lack of cool air.

I am currently looking for insight on the following:
  • Should I have my 140mm fans (which I will be putting on the back wall of the tv stand) exhaust air or draw air into the stand?
  • Should I change the direction of any of the fans currently in the case?

Should I change the direction of any of the fans currently in the case?
I was debating this idea as well. I have an Antec HTPC case that exhausts out the right side, and it's been fine. So consider flipping the fan on the left or the fans on the right, so that air is pushed in one side and is pulled out the other side.

Well you need to make a path for the air to flow.

So yes, change the direction of the fans inside the case. Make them flow air across the system. Either left to right or right to left. Then in the rear, place the 140MM fans on the edge of the open space (left and right side) and have one exhaust and one intake, matching the direction you change on the case. So you'll have a "circle" of air flowing.

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea.

I guess the thinking of Silverstone was to create positive air pressure to minimize dust, but they probably had lower power systems in mind. Are dust filters at all beneficial on an exhaust fan?

I am thinking I'll go from right to left, 2x 120mm pulling air in and 1x 120mm exhausting air, it seems to me a filter on this exhaust fan is useless and will just impede airflow?

I wouldn't bother with filters, unless you just have a really, really dusty living area. In which case, I still wouldn't recommend them. Just take it out every so often to clean it.

Lol its dusty right now because I am cutting up my tv stand so much.

But yeah, I'll try removing them and turning one of them around, see what happens to my temperatures and from there I'll probably move onto installing the 140mm fans.

They make DC powered media cabinent fans, many have thermal controls also:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Cabcool1201-Cooling-thermal-Theaters/dp/B001BEV1H0

For my HTPC I have three 120mm holes in the vertical divider, my HTPC is an antec case with two 120mms blowing at these holes, then on the other side of my cabinent where I have my DVDs and BluRays, I have a 6 80mm holes in the back of the top shelf, so hot air can rise and leave. No fans used.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks neat, but I am not looking to spend $62 on two fans.

I tested w/o fan guards yesterday, temperatures were ever so slightly lower, didn't hit 90 at all, but did get well into the 80's, about 87 or 88 on all 4 cores.
Also tested outside of the tv stand again, temps didn't get higher than the mid to high 60's.

So anyways, it looks like I'll be ordering some fans. Going to try out 2x 140mm w/o controller, if I don't like it, I'll add one.

Back