Fan speed not increasing automatically?

waylay00

n00b
So I was playing Empire Total War on my new rig (i7, 650w Corsair, XFX HD4890), but I noticed that I got some artifacts after a while. Opened up GPU-Z and saw that my temps were around 67C. However, I also noticed that the fan speed on the GPU had never risen above 34%. When I manually turned on the fan about 50%, the artifacting went away.

Why is the card not spinning the fan enough automatically when it should be?

So I was playing Empire Total War on my new rig (i7, 650w Corsair, XFX HD4890), but I noticed that I got some artifacts after a while. Opened up GPU-Z and saw that my temps were around 67C. However, I also noticed that the fan speed on the GPU had never risen above 34%. When I manually turned on the fan about 50%, the artifacting went away.

67C is not exactly hot for a video card. They have been known to be stable into the 90's. Maybe the fan speed never increased because it was not in any danger. Are you overclocking it at all? Maybe the artifacts are from pushing it too hard.

I run my gtx260 at 50% all the time, and it is barely noticeable over my case fans. Almost completely silent. But your fan should definitely be set to "auto" by default.

What does your fan control table look like?

a lot of GPUs have that where the fan speed wont go up a certain amount. yo ueither have to manually set it higher or use a program to keep it automatically rising. like Rivatuner.

My MSI 8800GT doesn't spin the fan up either - it will sit at 34% all day long. I keep it at 50% because anything over that and I can hear it but it stays cool enough that it doesn't impact my games. I've overclocked it and seen it hit 102C using OCCT before it crashed, but up into the 90s it was fine.

you can adjust the fan speed settings in Catalyst for your HD4890.

I dont think 67c is enough on the 4890s to get it to start coming up, I had 3 different xfx 4890s.

Back