Fantastic news! More pain for AMD!

It's been like that for I don't know how long.
A few weeks. The 5100 series chipset launched less than 2 months ago.

The positive is that it uses ECC DDR2 memory, the negative is that it has around 1/2 the memory bandwidth of 5000 series motherboards. There are CL3-3-3 FB-DIMMs now with cooler running buffer chips. With even larger caches in Harpertown, bandwidth for 2 quad cores is probably more important than one speed grade of latency (QC FB-DIMM 800 vs DC DDR2-667 ECC), or a least I would prefer it. With 1 socket i'd go for a desktop board.

few weeks? Swear it was a few months.

The 5400 chipset can finally be found on newegg however... DDR2 800!

I don't get bullshit like this, "fantastic news more pain for AMD", guess what the more amd falls behind the more intel can raise its prices. If it was a level playing field and the they both had processors putting out equal numbers then that would be fantastic news cause prices would be down.

i just bought an e6750 yesterday after staying with AMD for so long... the new processors from AMD just don't cut it for me... but i have never seen "more pain for AMD" as something fantastic. you better pray AMD doesn't go under or we're all in deep shit.

I don't get bullshit like this, "fantastic news more pain for AMD", guess what the more amd falls behind the more intel can raise its prices. If it was a level playing field and the they both had processors putting out equal numbers then that would be fantastic news cause prices would be down.

This should tell you something about the OP.

Hmmm, is AMD already in pain enough? I like Intel and all, but the constant stream of bad news for AMD is getting pretty dull.:(

Almost as bad as the OP's twisted sense of humor is the above point of view.These ultra low prices,and continued price wars,are killing AMD.Slowly but very surely.

A lot of the pain AMD is feeling is thier own damn doing,period.Intel has already started raising thier prices.Not to mention that if you look at the latest roadmaps,they have ZERO prce cuts planned throughout 2008.This a good thing actually for both sides.

its not good news, see how a new EE is $1200 and not $999

AMD is supposed to keep intel honest, oh well

Dont FB-DIMMs provide with more bandwidth (at the cost of latency)?, reg ECC memory is cheaper, but aren't 4s DC and QC xeons already held back by the FSB and memory bandwidth?, So why would you want to make the move to non FB-DIMMs?

Yes,and would continue to be at even 9999999999999.99 $ or more. :D But seriously AMD has charged crazy prices for thier procs as well.
At least the 4400+ I was price gouged for in July 2006 is still going amazingly strong.

You know what an amazing rig I could put together if I had the money I spent on my 2005 rig today? Sheesh.

I don't know if this is old news here but new Intel motherboards supporting REG ECC DDR2 are out! :cool:

http://supermicro.com/products/launch/Intel/?typ=5100#MB5100

This is something I was praying for ever since I made such a large purchase in REG ECC DDR2 in anticipation for Barcelona.
Going Intel at this point is a no brainer. :D
As long as the DDR2 modules permit greater OC and superior performance than the super-hot FB-DIMMs, I'm all for it. On my dual Xeon Supermicro board, I attained a 416MHz FSB with FB-DIMM modules I currently have running, but it required special cooling to get it stable.

Fantastic news... not because of more pain for AMD, but because I can use my 16GB of ECC REG DDR2 on an Intel board.
I paid a lot of money for those suckers (I bought before the ridiculous memory price drops). ;)

AMD left many of us to fend for ourselves after having "officially" promised motherboard compatibility and top CPU performance; both of which never happened.

On another note, this price war has been good to us. Barcelona dayviewed at less than $300 instead of the usual $999. Intel's quads are also priced right.

a little dramatic dont you think?

Hmmm, is AMD already in pain enough? I like Intel and all, but the constant stream of bad news for AMD is getting pretty dull.:(

how bout some good news for amd:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1250453

can amd crank out some higher-clocked phenoms to fill the void and scrape up some extra sales? they've had a month or 2 extra to react to their bugs so id hope they can get to market a little faster than intel and pick up some decent Q1 revenue

how bout some good news for amd:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1250453

can amd crank out some higher-clocked phenoms to fill the void and scrape up some extra sales? they've had a month or 2 extra to react to their bugs so id hope they can get to market a little faster than intel and pick up some decent Q1 revenue
Admittedly, this does grant AMD a little more breathing room but how much more? The delay will likely amount to weeks not months. Yorkfield is still slated for a Q1 release.

AMD's main problem lies with the fact that Kentfields have been on the market for over a year and can be found at relatively affordable prices now. The primary competitor to Phenom is the Q6600 not Yorkfield.

AMD's main problem lies with the fact that Kentfields have been on the market for over a year and can be found at relatively affordable prices now. The primary competitor to Phenom is the Q6600 not Yorkfield.

that's what i mean though, amd is very close to having a q6600 "killer", they just need a bump in the clock speed and a slight price drop, both of which are slated for january if i remember right.

the problem was that penryn would come along right around the same time and shit all over their goods. but now they'll have a window to generate some decent revenue. at least i hope that'll be the case. lord knows intel wont have any issues selling penryn chips

that's what i mean though, amd is very close to having a q6600 "killer", they just need a bump in the clock speed and a slight price drop, both of which are slated for january if i remember right.

the problem was that penryn would come along right around the same time and shit all over their goods. but now they'll have a window to generate some decent revenue. at least i hope that'll be the case. lord knows intel wont have any issues selling penryn chips

Things wouldn't be so bad if AMD would:
1. stop lying
2. get manufacturers to put out decent boards for the new chips
3. drop prices further

Worst than the poor performance is the lack of quality boards.
Things would have been better if existing boards supported the new chips as promised.

Many people would be plenty satisfied with a $150-200 / 2-2.2Ghz Phenom running on a good board. Most people don't buy the top. Most buy a good value. ;)

And a $999 CPU is honest? lol.

Yes it is. No one said you had to buy it.

Yes,and would continue to be at even 9999999999999.99 $ or more. :D But seriously AMD has charged crazy prices for thier procs as well.

Yes they have over charged for their processors in the past.

At least the 4400+ I was price gouged for in July 2006 is still going amazingly strong.

You know what an amazing rig I could put together if I had the money I spent on my 2005 rig today? Sheesh.

That is the way it always is with technology. In a few months the same money spent today will buy a much more powerful machine. So it will be 3 years from now.

Lack of competition is never a good thing!!

No it is not.

Your of course right,I was thinking likewise last week,after looking at a rig I have folding here (3800 x2 @ 2.5Ghz) Pricy then,pennies now.

I would have hoped that with Intel's launch of the Core2Duo would have kicked AMD in the ass to get them moving again. Apparently it didn't. The Phenom is about as spectacular as watching clothes tumble around in a Dryer. Seriously, my Intel Core2Duo E6600 can still put those things to shame.
If you are going to launch a new processor you need to launch something that can at least outrun a processor that's over a year old.

Yes it is. No one said you had to buy it.

In that case, how is the $1200 price not honest? (as implied by the post I was replying to...

its not good news, see how a new EE is $1200 and not $999

AMD is supposed to keep intel honest, oh well

I actually agree that Intel is free to charge whatever they want to for their products... I just disagreed with DeFex's statement that Intel was no longer being honest. So, my reply should have said... "And a $999 CPU is more honest than a $1200 CPU?" ... oh well.

Back