Far Cry 1.3 HDR enabled=bye bye FPS

IceWindus

n00b
Well, like many of you, I was exstatic to see the 1.3 patch out and immediatly loaded in and enabled the HDR. To my great surprise and dissapointment, the HDR gives a much more "life" feeling to the game itself, especially in jungle or interior areas.

But damn, does this come to a hit at the cost of performance. In many areas, I saw my FPS literally cut in half in comparison to having HDR turned off. I even tried just doing the \r_hdrrendering 1 and it will still a major bottleneck in my system. So sad, because it really does add alot to the game.

What have you guys found as far as performance is concered with this sucker enabled? The FPS hit for me just isn't worth it. Im on the offical 61.77s still.

I've got to install FarCry again and check it out. My system is close to yours in specs. I can't imagine that mine wouldn't be hit hard as far as performance loss as well.

I didn't think so either, but the FRAPS counter doens't lie. I can literally hear my 6800GT screaming...

im downloading the patch now, so do i type \r_hdrrendering 1 in the console to enable it? ive got a similar system as icewind, though im using an athlon64 3200+. or is it something i can enable in the menu? the changelog didnt specify...

Open console using ~ then type in \r_hdrrendering 1 through 11. 7 apparently gives you all the goodies and balanced HDR. FUck it looks good but fuck does it kill the framerate!

One thing to notice, look how much deeper and truer the colors become when HDR is enabled. My god, the water is absolutely gorgous, you can almost smell the salt air it looks so beautiful. :eek:

The forests are unbelivable greens, with the rays of the sun coming through the wind wisped canopies. Absolutely breaththing. The game looks so "blah" without HDR but damn the FPS are just murder. The air coming off my NV5 on my 6800gt under this load is almost to hot to the touch! :eek:

wow. im going to try soon, i just saw brent's post in the other thread on how to enable it. i have recently just started playing so i am not too far yet.

You'll have to start all over with the 1.3 patch as 1.2 or 1.1 patch saved games will not work.

These pics are huge, add the MODS have hardons about pictures sizes here, so you will have to click on the links, sorry.

Notice how much deeper and truer the colors are, especially outside with HDR enabled.

NOTE: AA DOES NOT WORK with HDR enabled! It must be turned off and X800 series cards cannot do HDR.

Before HDR 1st level Well
fc1.jpg

After HDR enabled
fc1hd.jpg

Before HDR, 1st level tunnel
fc2.jpg

After HDR enabled
fc2hd.jpg

Before HDR, inside of carrier
fc4.jpg

HDR Enabled
fc4hd.jpg

Before HDR, outside of first base
fc3.jpg

After HDR
fc3hd.jpg

Before HDR, boat landing
fc5.jpg

After HDR
fc5hd.jpg

openexr hdr is definately cool looking. bye bye fps for single current gen cards. enter SLI :p

This game's graphics actually got better?! :eek:

Thank you Crytek for being the one company this year to release a technically amazing, yet fun FPS.

The screens look...interesting. Does the game look better in motion than these screens would suggest? I don't know what it is but I think I actually prefer the pre-HDR screens in most cases. For instance, the one looking up through the hole in the cave ceiling actually looks more realistic pre-HDR. The HDR shot is pretty, but it looks too cartoony.

Dijonase said:
The screens look...interesting. Does the game look better in motion than these screens would suggest? I don't know what it is but I think I actually prefer the pre-HDR screens in most cases. For instance, the one looking up through the hole in the cave ceiling actually looks more realistic pre-HDR. The HDR shot is pretty, but it looks too cartoony.

I don't see how you could call non-hdr lighting more realistic. Light often blurs your vision when it's really bright. Plus I am sure that in motion it would look better, and screen shots never seem to look as good as the real thing.

Actually I was thinking the same thing, that some pre-HDR shots were more "realistic". It seemed like all they did was boost contrast/brightness and mess with the color balance, ala Photoshop! Why would this affect FPS? I don't see any drastic resolution/mapping changes.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I don't see how you could call non-hdr lighting more realistic. Light often blurs your vision when it's really bright. Plus I am sure that in motion it would look better, and screen shots never seem to look as good as the real thing.

OK, I didn't explain that very well. Take a look at the pic looking back up the tunnel in the cave. The brightness at the end of the tunnel is really cool and the vibrance is good but why did the coloring change so drastically? That's what I meant when I said cartoony. The light at the end of the tunnel looks more realistic in the HDR pic but the coloring of the rocks looks more realistic in the pre-HDR pic.

I think it looks pretty good. Too bad we can't have HDR and AA. Jaggies really throw me off.

With my card, without HDR I get 70-80 frames. When HDR enabled I get 20-25 frames. Big hit with 1280x1024 resolution.

Just my opinion, I think it looks like poop. It doesn't seem to increase in quality, just looks like someone screwed with the gamma/ brightness-contrast on the monitor. I can do that to get the same effect and still get good fps.

You must not have seen it running in person. I am very curious to see the regular HDR implentation which will allow for AA I believe. HL2 will be the first title to have this if i'm not mistaken.

gsboriqua said:
You must not have seen it running in person. I am very curious to see the regular HDR implentation which will allow for AA I believe. HL2 will be the first title to have this if i'm not mistaken.

That you are.

IceWind said:
You'll have to start all over with the 1.3 patch as 1.2 or 1.1 patch saved games will not work.

Uhh, NOT!

I installed 1.3 last night and picked up right where I left off with a 1.1 game. 1.2 is incompatible from what I've heard, but not 1.1

Hey guys I just installed the 1.3 patch and followed the instructions to enable the map thing with the r_texnormalmapcompressed 1 command and nothing happens. (Yes I did it in the console by hitting ~) Anyone know what gives?

Back