Faraday Cage

perplex

Gawd
Has anyone ever constructed a Faraday Cage to surround their computer case? To decrease EMI waves penetrating and exiting the hardware? For example if people have a "noisy" device in the same room may need to EM-insulate their computer.

I was thinking about doing this for the CPU by grounding/earthing the heatsink to help reduce EM radiation beaming at audio equipment.

The computer case itself isn't enough of a faraday cage for you?

jpmkm said:
The computer case itself isn't enough of a faraday cage for you?

hey, i'm from KC too :cool:

i'd have to say a steal case would be good enough. People now are sticking computers in plexi-glass cages and whatever else... and putting windows in the side of the cage which is actually a window for EMI to come through... even though it's not something i'd recommend, they are all doing it without problems or ill effect. so... i wouldn't bother constructing a faraday cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Actually, the largest source of emi is the motherboard, not the cpu. All the traces on the mobo act like millions of little antennas braodcasting rf power. If you look at the traces, notice how many of them squiggle back and forth for no apparent reason, rather than taking the most direct route. Although usually done for timing issues, this is also a method used to combat efi by making the trace less resonant at operating frequencies.

An additional thought... the emi frequency emmitted by the cpu / mobo are way above anything in the audio range, so I wouldn't expect much if any detectable interference from them. More likely is noise from power supply circuitry.

BTW, thats why I wear a tinfoil hat near my system ;-)

colossus_1.jpg

you've gotta be kidding me... is that a wall? why didn't you ducktape everything up for the effect? :eek:

plot said:
you've gotta be kidding me... is that a wall? why didn't you ducktape everything up for the effect? :eek:
I would be concerned that there may be a bi-metal electrochemical reaction between the metallic duct tape and my tinfoil hat, reducing its effectiveness.

yes, that's a wall.
colossus_0.jpg

Should point out that it is not complete, the ribbon cables will be gone and the power, monitor and other cables will feed through the wall instead of hanging down.

Is that a Beta Brite display? if so, do you know of some sort of interface program for WinXP that will work with it? I've got a Beta Brite laying around, and using the remote is a huge pain in the ass.

Back