Farcry HDR+AA on X1800, patch preview with lots of screenies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Viper-X- said:
realllllllly?
"The 256 MB GeForce 7800 GTX in SLI also manages to provide smooth game play at 1600x1200, but with 2X TR MSAA, which still makes for a great gaming experience."

quoted from the 512M GTX review on [H]. 2 7800GTX 256M Managed to get 66average FPS, with 2x AA / 16X AF, which means u with 2 7800GT cards, 4xAA must be around 40-45fps average, Somehow that doesnt seem too far from the numbers u saw on those farcry pictures :rolleyes:

Rolleyes should be banned from these forums.. :eek:

I'll repeat myself...

Originally post by SPARTAN VI:

Nevermind dude, missed the part where he was talking about r_hdrrendering 2 instead of 7.

The OP said hdrrendering 2 was unplayable (below 25fps). I confused that detail, so I retracted my statement. Capiche?

I accidentally skipped over a few sentences, and you did the same with my post. Now we're even. ;)

And here are my FEAR results:
FPS:
Minimum: 28
Average: 52
Maximum: 178

FPS Distribution:
0% below 25 FPS
10% between 25 and 40 FPS
90% above 40 FPS

Screenshot of score
Screenshots of Settings (everything is MAXED).

I call that playable.

SPARTAN VI said:
Rolleyes should be banned from these forums.. :eek:

I'll repeat myself...

The OP said hdrrendering 2 was unplayable (below 25fps). I confused that detail, so I retracted my statement. Capiche?

I accidentally skipped over a few sentences, and you did the same with my post. Now we're even. ;)

And here are my FEAR results:
FPS:
Minimum: 28
Average: 52
Maximum: 178

FPS Distribution:
0% below 25 FPS
10% between 25 and 40 FPS
90% above 40 FPS

Screenshot of score
Screenshots of Settings (everything is MAXED).

I call that playable.

I call it playable too =p I just missed your retraction! so i was mocking you
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gtx4u said:
SLI's way of rendering in DX games is not the same as Crossfire. So we'll just see. But one of anandtech.com's articles did say that Crossfire is better than SLI's performance

no...show me where

As someone brought up before in a previous post it seems there is always a good engine for games out that has the future and present in mind but it just never takes off. Just weird that this happens but then again we have nasa who uses a bidding system :).

entermymatrix03 said:
so how come source can do it on my card, but far cry can't? thats odd on the developers part.
I know it's been explained but I really have no idea. I dunno I don't care much for Source's HDR..

entermymatrix03 said:
so how come source can do it on my card, but far cry can't? thats odd on the developers part.

Source uses integer HDR. Farcry uses FP blending HDR.
The latter is technically the most advanced, and most likely thé way it will be done in most future games (Valve themselves say this too in a Driverheaven HDR article).

So why didn't valve just do it correctly from the beginning? Is it because they only support SM 2.0?

Why are some saying Valves HDR is superior to FarCrys HDR?

Wow, nice graphics. Too bad Far Cry is only worth playing ten minutes or so. It's a great demo for showing of your card, but nothing more than that.

roflcopter said:
Wow, nice graphics. Too bad Far Cry is only worth playing ten minutes or so. It's a great demo for showing of your card, but nothing more than that.

FarCry is only worth ten minutes? Says who? U? I don't think so. It was a better game than Doom 3 and Quake 4 in terms of Fun, and gameplay.

Too bad when Unreal 3 and Unreal 2007 comes out, u'll either have to choose between HDR or AA, go back to nVidia u little FanB0y.

They look nice. But it makes the game look alot more fake. I'm guessing they weren't striving for realism here. It looks like death-beams or something.

gtx4u said:
FarCry is only worth ten minutes? Says who? U? I don't think so. It was a better game than Doom 3 and Quake 4 in terms of Fun, and gameplay.

I actually didn't like the gameplay either; I felt that the beginning was pretty good, the color scheme was new and inviting, and fighting against the human opponents was actually quite good. but it became so damn repetitive later on. I also found it bothersome that the AI could always see where you were through grass but I can't see shit...

I'm all for repitition however, which would be Quake4 and Doom3, but I thought they did the straight action very well. There was rarely a let up in terms of balls to the wall action, and Doom had me crapping my pants every three seconds.

In my opinion Fear has surpassed farcry, doom3, and quake4 in terms of action. I cannot believe how intense the firefights are...i love it.

I've played Far Cry once already a good while ago, but that was on my 9700Pro, Athlon XP2200. It was a damn fine game then, and it looked pretty sweet too. I've been itching to play it again, and now with good reason.

X1800XT action baby! Just release the goddam patch! :D

What game doesn't become repetitive after time? Please don't say Half Life 2.

I'm sure many will agree, FarCry has set the bar and I have yet to see any game jump it.

shoman24v said:

I'm sure many will agree, FarCry has set the bar and I have yet to see any game jump it.
So you believe that Farcry is superior to HL2 and Fear!?

oh boy...

quadnad said:
So you believe that Farcry is superior to HL2 and Fear!?

oh boy...

Far Cry > Doom 3

Easily. HL2 & FEAR? Can't say yet. Haven't played them. :)

Can't wait for the new patch. That should be awesome!

PC said:
Far Cry > Doom 3

Easily. HL2 & FEAR? Can't say yet. Haven't played them. :)

Can't wait for the new patch. That should be awesome!

lol, I find it funny people thing hl2 doesn't have all these featres, hl2 HAS paralex normal bump mapping, BUT its disabled and not used in hl2/other officval source games becauses it was to close to release and buggy so they were "fuck it, we need to ship hl2, we'll finish it later" and PLUS source is a growing engine, which means untill source 2, source will be updated to support latest hardware and features, so in a sence, the Source Engine is a growing engine(not hl2, hl2 will always look the same unless someone in a mod implements the upgrades to hl2, we'll only see new features in new games such as DoD:Source, and random tech demos they give out like Loast Coast.

Chilly

quadnad said:
I actually didn't like the gameplay either; I felt that the beginning was pretty good, the color scheme was new and inviting, and fighting against the human opponents was actually quite good. but it became so damn repetitive later on. I also found it bothersome that the AI could always see where you were through grass but I can't see shit...

I'm all for repitition however, which would be Quake4 and Doom3, but I thought they did the straight action very well. There was rarely a let up in terms of balls to the wall action, and Doom had me crapping my pants every three seconds.

In my opinion Fear has surpassed farcry, doom3, and quake4 in terms of action. I cannot believe how intense the firefights are...i love it.

FarCry wasn't as repetative as Quake 4 and Doom 3 was, it had vehicles and lots of weapons to choose from, I admit the game was hard, as for reavealing where the enemy was, it was pretty easy, u had to use binoculars to find out where they are and snipe all the camper in the towers before u assault a jungle area, and at night use heatvision goggles. If u didn't do that first of course u can't find the enemy.

gtx4u said:
FarCry wasn't as repetative as Quake 4 and Doom 3 was, it had vehicles and lots of weapons to choose from, I admit the game was hard, as for reavealing where the enemy was, it was pretty easy, u had to use binoculars to find out where they are and snipe all the camper in the towers before u assault a jungle area, and at night use heatvision goggles. If u didn't do that first of course u can't find the enemy.

yeah, i didn't care much for the goggles that told you where everything was; i just wanted an ai that created more strategy to it.

overall what ruined farcry for me was the mutant things. I thought that they looked rediculous, and it seemed to distract from what good combat their was with the humans.

I guess I gotta reinstall the game so I can enjoy some extra eye candy.

quadnad said:
yeah, i didn't care much for the goggles that told you where everything was; i just wanted an ai that created more strategy to it.

overall what ruined farcry for me was the mutant things. I thought that they looked rediculous, and it seemed to distract from what good combat their was with the humans.
A little off topic, but I totally agree. The human Ai was much better and more challenging than hte retarded mutants

shoman24v said:

haha, I should sig that.

I just got a 9800pro and put settings to "High" and rendering mode to "paradise", and i was literally blown away. It looked amazing. Utterly amazing. I can't imagine actually PLAYING it like it looks on your screencaps.... Really, amazing.

Only thing I don't like is that first machinegun you get (the model for it...well, I don't like it) and the character models...but that's another topic....

Look what i found on usenet:

FC1.4prereleasepatch

Do a search in a.b.boneless. Grab it and enjoy! :)

Wow, this is incredible. Nobody tried it? :confused:

I thought a lot of X1K owners would be happy with the patch. :D

Well, let's see here. We've got people debating FarCry vs HL2/D3/whatever, we've got other people flaming. Well, I think it's time to close this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back