Faulty PSU?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Hello, I recently helped a friend out by reinstalling windows on his machine. It was getting long in the tooth, and unresponsive, so I decided that the best thing to do would be to back-up his data, reformat the hd and reinstall windows.

When I was busy updating windows, I noticed some display problems. The monitor would just turn off or the display would be corrupt. I tried attaching to another monitor - same thing. So, I popped in an old TNT2 64 (it was using an integrated S3 unichrome graphics adapter - with 32mb shared memory). Display problems were solved....or so it seemed.

Now, it looks as if there is something else, related to hardware going on. Every now then, always right after booting, the computer will freeze/stop responding - ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. To get it going again, I restart the computer by pressing the "restart" button on the computer chassis. Sometimes it will to fail to POST after I do this. The system fans (i.e., chassis and cpu hsf) will start, but no POST beep, and no display.

I usually have to press and hold the power button for a few seconds, to shut the computer down. Then I wait about 30 seconds and press the power button again to boot it up. Its always booted up at this point.

So, I decided to check out the hardware monitor in the system BIOS and found that the 12v rail is only getting about 11.5v to 11.6v. I explained this to my friend and indicated that if problems persist, it may be due to a faulty power supply. My problem is that I don't really know If I should be suggesting to him to get a new power supply, because I am just not that familiar with psu's to know whether or not it is the problem.

Is 11.5v ok, or is the supply done for? Or, could it be related to something else?

Specs are 2.2 ghz Celeron
ECS P4VVM2 v5.0a
256mb RAM
40gb 2500RPM HD
32 MB TNT 64
53x CD-ROM
Floppy Drive.

oops, forgot specs of the psu. I don't know what the watt rating is. I suspect that it is probably around 300w. The system is from a cheap brand that used to be sold here in Ottawa in Compusmart Stores. The computer brand was "Mind Computers." Sorry, I don't know what brand of psu is in there. I'll have to crack open the computer to check it out.

So it looks like, from the other threads I've read, that the spec for 12v rail indicates that there is 5% tolerance. It looks like 11.5 is just inside that tolerance.

It will be difficult to diagnose the problem, since the computer is going to Toronto where my friend's daughter will be attending universty. I'll have to play it by ear and have a look at it if she ever comes down for a weekend. Hopefully, it does not give her too much grief when she is out there.

Back