FC card + SAN + Linux = I'm confused

Jake

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey is anyone familiar with the process for mounting a LUN on a SAN (ours is Xiotech) under Linux?

All my experience so far has been with PERC/adaptec raid cards, I'm stumped so far. Will be back with my full explanation in a bit.

How large is your SAN Fabric?

I assume you've zoned your HBA.

Ok I don't manage the SAN, the guy that does that got some ID # from the HBA then provided a LUN for me to test out connectivity with.

The details I remember since I'm at home right now:

I have an Emulex 9002 card in a Dell 2850 running Redhat ES4 64bit.

The lpfc driver module is included in Redhat's distro and I can tell it is getting loaded and the OS see the 4 controllers on the Xiotech 3D. However I don't see any LUNs.

Using the Emulex HBAnywhere software I can see LUN 5 on the 4th controller on the Xiotech is what he said it would be (a 10gb slice).

Then I can't seem to figure out how to get that to be mountable like my internal scsi raid stuff (sda sdb etc).

I have no experience with LUN attachment on Linux...yet - just a whole crap load of Windows iSCSI / FCP LUN attachment.

I would think that any mounting would be performed by the HBAnywhere utility. Unless it's just a "dumb" driver/monitoring utility. I assume you've Googled the crap out of it?

In the next weeks at work, we're going to be attaching some SLES10 HP Proliants via FC HBAs to the SAN, but until then, I haven't seen the process.

I use a Nexsan fibre attached.. I do not have great confidence in Linux multipathing support, but single path seems to work ok. SUSE provides some tools that make it a bit easier to do LUN disovery and rediscovery.

My HBA is Qlogic (various, I've used 1Gb and 2Gb cards, PCI-X, cheap PCI-X and PCIe). I used them at home (I have a SAN at home) and at work. We have not yet, moved our ESX server to the SAN. We plan to along with upgrading to ESX v3.... but probably won't be complete until early next year.

I have some benchmarks... but these may not be optimal.. just a cursory test... see them at:

http://www.ntlug.org/Presentations/FilesystemBenchmarks

I think Linux does need more SAN work... but, I think all OS's need better SAN support. If you keep your SAN configuration relatively static (e.g. don't try to grow your LUNs dynamically on the SAN device side), then I think things work fine... I'm hoping eventually to get multipathing to work... but I think Linux's support is too immature right now.

Back