FEAR crashing

HybridHB

[H]ard|Gawd
FEAR crashes my computer when i exit the game. I just installed an X2 3800 today and didnt have a problem with the game yesterday when i was on the single core. Is anyone else getting this problem? My buddy is getting the same problem and we both have retial copies.

update drivers perhaps ...install the amd dual core drivers and the microsoft hotfix afterwards

that might help ...then it again ..it might not

I have this problem too, latest drivers and patch installed.

yea i have the x2 driver and patch 1.01 installed. I think its just the stupid game.

*EDIT* I should have been more specific. When i exit FEAR, it crashes my computer.

Does it just show your desktop with no cursor after you exit? Clicking the mouse 3 times makes a single beep and then I can't do anything.

any apps like virus scanner or firewall or antispyware or whatever running in the background?

Norton?
McAfee?
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta?
Daemon Tools?
Alcohol?
AVG?
FAH?
Memory Recovery proggie of somekind?
weatherslug?
.....?

are you overclocking anything?
to tight of mem timings perhaps?
run defrag lately?
do both you guys having probs in this thread use creative soundcards?
When is the last time you actually gave your mom or reasonable proximile a hug?

..all of these could play somekind of factor ...and then again , none of these prolly have anything to do with your problems and the game is just a bad copy or something...

If it only does it when you exit out of game and not while playing ..then something isnt shutting down correctly or letting go properly ..so to speak (and yes ..thank you captian obvious ..just thinking out loud thru this keyboard I'm on ... :) )

maybe its that securerom stuff causing the glitch ..

maybe if the game didnt require you to have the cd in a drive ..you wouldnt be having this problem ...

I dono ... :(

Bop said:
Does it just show your desktop with no cursor after you exit? Clicking the mouse 3 times makes a single beep and then I can't do anything.

Thats exactly whats happening to me and my friend. The thing we have in common is the X2. It was happening to my rig at stock settings.

ThreeDee said:
you guys running the 81.85's?

ive tried a fwe different ones and still get the same problem. im running 81.84 right now.

it also crashes at random points too. ive been trying to fix a sound issus, so i was going through the first level of the game, and the part where you open the door to the roof, it just crashed my computer.

81.85 fixed the crashing and instablity. however, im still having sound issues. the sound is distorted/staticy and the voices are very deep. the one woman sounds like a man and all the men sound alike.

You said you installed the X2 3800 after you installed the game. Maybe try reinstalling the game. Perhaps there are some settings that the game installed based on your processor and system, and since you changed processors, those orginal settings are false now and thus causing your problems. Just a thought.

..just another thought ...does it show "multiprocessor" in device manager?

My system is highly maintained and every service not required is disabled as this system is my 100% gaming machine. My system is torture tested for 20 hours Prime95 and a 20 hour loop of 3dMark so its no hardware instability. My drivers are the 81.85s. I reformatted my HD after getting my X2 so obviously the game was installed after.

This didn't happen during the MP/SP demo so its definitely a software issue.

ThreeDee said:
..just another thought ...does it show "multiprocessor" in device manager?

Yes it does, i can try to reinstall it but my friend is experiencing the same problem, and he installed the game after doing his new pc build.

I have the same problem??? I have an fx-57 on a solely gaming machine. I run the game fine no problems, but when I exit out of the game it goes to the desktop and freezes, no cursor or anything. I have to manually shut down, then can restart and go again. I have the 81.85 beta. Im gonna get rid of the beat and load up the whql that came out today. We"ll see what happens....I cant figure it out. Everything else is up to date???? :(

Bop said:
My system is highly maintained and every service not required is disabled as this system is my 100% gaming machine. My system is torture tested for 20 hours Prime95 and a 20 hour loop of 3dMark so its no hardware instability. My drivers are the 81.85s. I reformatted my HD after getting my X2 so obviously the game was installed after.

This didn't happen during the MP/SP demo so its definitely a software issue.
it would appear so ...but an inconsistant one at that

my specs:
A8N SLI Premium
A64 +4400x2 @ 2.5ghz 1.45v 10x250
XP120 w/2 120mm fans 42c load
2 1GB Mushkin Extreme (budget) PC3200 @ almost 200mhz 1T C2.5
2 XFX 7800GTX's 81.85's
Audigy 2 (Logitech 5.1 loud heart hurting thumpers)
PC P&C 510 SLI

F.E.A.R. DVD version.....no crashes when exiting or during gameplay

..those who have the exiting problem , are you all overclocking?
soundcards? ...driver version if your using the same?
do you guys have the cd or dvd version?

on my setup I have AVG and ZoneAlarm running when I play and always block its attempt to get out to internet when it first launches ..dont know what its trying to do or where its trying to go , but zone alarm always picks it up and I tell it to deny it... could be related to your problem ..or not ..dono

when it crashes when you exit out of game ...how long do you wait before manually rebooting?

I had a friend that was having wierd problems with games and it turned out to be some fancy keyboard he had that was causing all his woes ...

any printers or peripherals attached to your boxes?

just throwing stuff out there ...hopefully somebody will figure out what the problem is exactly and get a solution together for those who are having this exiting problem..

:confused: :(

Hey 3D thanks for the thoughts. Im not hooked to the internet. Ive got all the latest drivers as well. I have the CD version of the game. its wierd....everythings is otherwise fine. I let the comp run at least 5 minutes before I manually shut down to let the box cool off, since I cant access any of my monitoring software. :D

I had problems with 81.84's with my X2. I went to 81.85's and they are much more stable, not justi in FEAR but in other games as well.

yea, the 81.85 stopped the crashing. except after I played a couple hours, when i went to exit it locked up. didnt restart but locked up my computer.

Raines8416 said:
yea, the 81.85 stopped the crashing. except after I played a couple hours, when i went to exit it locked up. didnt restart but locked up my computer.

yup, i was having random lockups with the game when i was running the 78.xx drivers, went to the 81.85 driver this morning and had absolutely no problems anymore.

I loaded the 81.85 drivers...whql or whatever, and the hard freeze at the exit of the game is still there.....GRRRRRRRR!!! The game runs fine and always has even with 77.76 betas.

I went on in the game and am now at interval 04.....when I exit out the systems performs perfectly. i got an email from vevendi.....bunch of BS about doing a clean boot....basically all run around crap......I really cant figure this out but it seems to have disappeared???? :D

I thought FEAR was buggy, but I think it was the 81.84 drivers which were making my machine unstable... while installing quake4 I had a reboot and then a lockup.. going to the WHQL 81.85s cleared it all up.

ThreeDee said:
I had a friend that was having wierd problems with games and it turned out to be some fancy keyboard he had that was causing all his woes ...

any printers or peripherals attached to your boxes?

just throwing stuff out there ...

Appreciate the thoughts bro. I don't suppose that "fancy" keyboard's an Eclipse by Saitek? I'm ready to unplug all printer, APC unit, and the ipod connector. Then maybe I'll set all my clocks to below stock, run nvpanel in quality default without any details, shaders, or colors. Hmmm...wonder if I can do 8 colors?

not sure on what keyboard it was but I think it was self illuminating ..but I guess if you gotta standard ps/2 or usb keyboard laying around to swap out for testing purposes, wouldnt hurt to try I guess

Same problem, locks up the desktop after exiting. Single core proc here, guys.

Latest drivers and patch installed.

-Cap'n

I'm having real problems too, think it's more hardware related though...

The game locks up and after a few seconds the screen loses signal

my X800XT-PE has blue LEDs on the ASUS cooler and these go out, not sure why... card is quite warm but the ATI tray app reports 0C...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=971173 if anyone has any ideas in my case :)

I've read others with this issue on the official forums. You might check there.

After my recent re-install of XP for my gaming rig, playing FEAR is very stable now (with the 81.85 drivers)... but sometimes after quitting out of FEAR I will not be able to click on anything on my desk top, then my machine will freeze after about 20 seconds... a little annoying!

Back