FEAR Sucks

I like the game but I don't think it looks that great. I personally think the Source Engine is much better overall, with the huge enviroments and all. THe only thing F.E.A.R. has going for it is lighting and shadows but with the new update coming out for HL2 those advantanges will be fixed.

When Doom 3 came out last year, the game looked like it couldn't be run on current hardware at the time of it's release. F.E.A.R. looks like Source with better lighting, it should be able to run on current systems. Monolith needs to better optimize their engines before they release them.

A8N SLI Premium
AMD x2 4400
OCZ Titanium 2gb
BFG 7800gtx
2 Maxtor 250gb HDD SATA
X-Fi Fatality
Logictech z5500s

OP is running XP-64bit ..there is one thing that cuts performance a bit

I was running 32-bit XP and game played smoother ..now its not quite as smooth at same settings under 64-bit XP

ThreeDee said:
OP is running XP-64bit ..there is one thing that cuts performance a bit

I was running 32-bit XP and game played smoother ..now its not quite as smooth at same settings under 64-bit XP

Not true, I am running 64bit Edition as well. I have it a 1600x1200 with AA set to 2x I have no idea what my AF is at and the lowest I go is 27 FPS, with SLI their are tons of benchmarks that prove that while the max frames isn't affected much the min should be almost double that with SLI. This is before the new game patch that is supposed to speed it up and I can't run any of the 80.00 series drivers because for some reason everything (3dmark, FEAR, HL2 ) lock at one point or another. So either he set his AA way to high or something else is bogging down the system.

I run a SLI setup ..and 32-bit XP played the game smoother then 64-bit XP on my setup

I run dual core tho ..

but OP needs to either drop rez or drop some of the eye candy

ThreeDee said:
I run a SLI setup ..and 32-bit XP played the game smoother then 64-bit XP on my setup

I run dual core tho ..

but OP needs to either drop rez or drop some of the eye candy

Yeah At 1600 AA and AF don't have as many uses on a sub 30" as it would with lets say at 1024 or 1248.

ShimmyT said:
What nvidia drivers are you running? Are you running 81.85?
Yeah Im running those ,without vsync I get 75 fps max and it dips down into the low 20s, and I got the fear patch.

[BB] Rick James said:
The game runs 70 FPS for me at 1280 X 960 with everything maxed. I notice slow downs when water is introduced.

Great game, but the engine does need some refining. All in all great game IMO.
So it is the game and not my system!!!!!!!

I ran it 1280x800 2xaa 4xaf with everything maxed. Average fps was 64. This game really needs to be run at console... I mean at lower than average pc resolution. Other than that I thought it was an extremely good fps.

id say its your drivers..use driver cleaner to whipe them all (after downloading the newest...just so you dont have to browse for em in 800x600) and reinstall them.....and i dont mean just your video drivers....chipset and sound too....

4b5eN+EE said:
id say its your drivers..use driver cleaner to whipe them all (after downloading the newest...just so you dont have to browse for em in 800x600) and reinstall them.....and i dont mean just your video drivers....chipset and sound too....
This on a fresh install of XP and drivers
:confused:

lee63 said:
What does that mean ??
Who's my friend and yours?
google.gif
that's who!

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PEBCAK.html

Are you sure your machine is in multi-GPU mode? Maybe make sure it is, and try setting the sli rendering method to SFR in the performance and quality "advanced settings" list.

Also, have you tried just going one by one and disabling one feature to see how much of a performance impact it has? I had to do this and finally I settled on: 1600x1200 with no AA, no vsync, no soft shadows, 4xAF, all other options maxed, except for vol light density on medium. I have all of my "computer" (non-gfx) settings maxed also, but sounds on medium. I get 63fps avg, with 2% below 25 and 5% between 25 and 40, then 92% above 40. It's humming along pretty well. :)

I recently (two days ago) wiped my gaming rig and started over... I think that axtually made a difference... I had so many old Nvidia driver re-installs on that machine... I think even the driver cleaners were missing some things.. anyways, after the re-install things have been very good. I don;t think you should have to go to those means to get this working, but I am just reporting what I have experienced.

Nvidia released some new Nforce4 chiset drivers today... maybe give those a whirl?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

I am running these with the 81.85 WHQL drivers...
good luck with that!

revenant said:
Are you sure your machine is in multi-GPU mode? Maybe make sure it is, and try setting the sli rendering method to SFR in the performance and quality "advanced settings" list.

Also, have you tried just going one by one and disabling one feature to see how much of a performance impact it has? I had to do this and finally I settled on: 1600x1200 with no AA, no vsync, no soft shadows, 4xAF, all other options maxed, except for vol light density on medium. I have all of my "computer" (non-gfx) settings maxed also, but sounds on medium. I get 63fps avg, with 2% below 25 and 5% between 25 and 40, then 92% above 40. It's humming along pretty well. :)

I recently (two days ago) wiped my gaming rig and started over... I think that axtually made a difference... I had so many old Nvidia driver re-installs on that machine... I think even the driver cleaners were missing some things.. anyways, after the re-install things have been very good. I don;t think you should have to go to those means to get this working, but I am just reporting what I have experienced.

Nvidia released some new Nforce4 chiset drivers today... maybe give those a whirl?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

I am running these with the 81.85 WHQL drivers...
good luck with that!
AA seems to be the problem here, even at 2X it realy makes the game run slow for me.I have the rendering mode set to auto that seems to work well, I will try the messing with the other settings today, thanx for your help

lee63 said:
AA seems to be the problem here, even at 2X it realy makes the game run slow for me.I have the rendering mode set to auto that seems to work well, I will try the messing with the other settings today, thanx for your help

Hey no problem. but wow, you would think with your rig you would be able to enable AA... I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to make it playable. eh?

Oh, I hear that if you disable AA and Soft shadows, then restart the game, then enable soft shadows, then play a little, then enable AA it -might- help the AA performance. Layering the IQ settings like that for some reason helped a couple of other people. It's worth a test run, I reckon. Well, I guess this game really might be sloppily written, because you shouldn't have to do that, but it's still gorgeous. wow. I like running around and just looking at stuff sometimes. lol.

nothing over 1024x768 is required to make me happy on my 19" CRT...you guys that need more are so extreme I can't understand you....I'm very happy with my 2.4C at 3.0 ghz processor on my 2 year old Abit IS7 motherboard with 1GB of Ram running a 6800 GT. There is absolutely no reason to upgrade any of my components at this time in my mind.

1600x1200 just isn't necessary and AA has always looked worse to me...looks blurry, AF looks good, but I don't require it to enjoy a game....

1280x960 with 4xAA, 16xAS , soft shadows on , vertical sync on, everything on (that adds to eye candy goodness) ..everything set to maximum is very playable on my setup , but I dont think it would handle much more and still be enjoyable

A64 x2 +4400 @ 2.5ghz (10x250)
2x 1GB sticks of pc3200 (mushkin enhanced stuff)
2x XFX 7800GTX
1x WD 74GB Raptor
A8N SLI Premium mobo
PC P&C 510 SLI
19" Acer LCD
WinXP-64bit
new 81.87's beta vid drivers and 8.12 beta chipset drivers(was using the 6.67's prior)
w/FOH always running

I have a similar set up as the OP. I run 1 notch below 16x12 with everything maxed, 4xAA and no soft shadows. I get very excellent play, no OC. If I go to 16x12 I will get some pretty noticable lags in firefights. I have all the new drivers except chipset. I really havent fussed with much except Res, AA,AF and shadows. I use the global driver package and SLI set to auto. XP=32 bit.

There was a very good tweek guide posted yesterday on the front page that may also help you some. It discussed the config file tweeks. :D

Very interesting... I had bet the 512mb GTXs will be able to run 16x12 with those settings... I had be it's the combination of large textures + AA which are slowing things down quite a bit on the 256 meg cards... hmmmmmmm

Playing through the game for the 2nd time with rig in my sig. Everything on high...correction..... MAXIMUM. 16xAF, no AA, no softshadows, 1280x960 The self-test gave me only 1% below 25. I would rate it somewhere between smooth and playable. Most of the time smooth and only rarely is it noticeably slower and in the "playable" zone. I'm happy with that considering I'm still on 6800GT and skt 754. :D

Archaea said:
nothing over 1024x768 is required to make me happy on my 19" CRT...you guys that need more are so extreme I can't understand you....I'm very happy with my 2.4C at 3.0 ghz processor on my 2 year old Abit IS7 motherboard with 1GB of Ram running a 6800 GT. There is absolutely no reason to upgrade any of my components at this time in my mind.

1600x1200 just isn't necessary and AA has always looked worse to me...looks blurry, AF looks good, but I don't require it to enjoy a game....

I agree, I have basically the same setup, but a 6600gt and at 1024x768, it looks great to me!

But I also know how it feels to try and pump it up as high as it'll go, just to see how it'll work. ;)

I've got close to the same setup and find that at 1600x1200 with everything maxed my framerates range from 25-85. Now 25fps isn't exactly a slideshow, but I understand why you're upset. Just chalk it up to imperfect optimization - not every game is going to run perfectly on an sli setup. I backed it off to the next lower res and it looks and plays great.

I probably have the weakest system in this forum...
P4 1.6a radeon 9500 pro 5.10 cats 768 mb ram
WIth shadows (any shadows) enabled I get 10 FPS.
Disable all shadows and I get 35 FPS.
I turned on 4x aa, 2x af, average 25 fps @1024x768
Game is creepy fun, good times.

shadows are taxing little biaaatches, eh? it's nice to see that even older gen rigs can disable these features and still run the game pretty well. good times indeed. :D

Back