FED is not dead yet?

Since that announcement there has been very little news about it. The challenges are emitter degradation and production cost. Overall I don't think companies find it attractive to develop over the potential of OLED.

http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/briefingroom/2011/03/22/ikegami-announces-new-nab-2011-products/

I think they have a far better chance overcoming emitter degradation, vacuum problems and whatever else they might be facing than the problems OLED is having. The worst thing is, if they really wanted to go digital that bad in the display industry, they should have started researching FED right away. The basic tech was there - the CRT. They didn't really need to do much. Instead they spent the last 20 years on LCD and plasma research.

All I can say, I hope AUO doesn't give up, and more companies pick it up. It's the only display tech I'm still putting my hopes in for. The things I don't like about OLED are potential dead pixels, and bad resolution flexibility just like LCD. FED takes care of that.

That's old news from January 2010. In slightly more recent news, in November 2010, Nikkei said AUO would be making them in volume in Q4 2011, but AUO denied that, and there has been no mention whatsoever anywhere about AUO FED since then.

See FED TV Reviews; most recent article is "Nothing To Report".

Back