Feds Seize 132 Domain Names To Stop Knockoff Sales

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just in time for the holidays, the feds are once again cracking down on crooks selling knockoff products. If only we could get this kind of multinational cooperation on other stuff. :eek:

The Cyber Monday crackdown comes on what's expected to be the biggest online shopping day of the year. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations coordinated the effort with Europol and police in Belgium, Denmark, France, Romania and the United Kingdom. Authorities say it's the third consecutive Cyber Monday that websites selling knockoff sports jerseys, DVDs and other goods have been targeted.

Knockoff goods, also otherwise known as 'superior products'.

Just take a trip to the flea market. You would lock up thousands on every trip.

only reason there is knockoff goods is because they know they can sell it for a lower price. if the main place sell it for the low price there wont be any knockoff goods

Knockoff goods, also otherwise known as 'superior products'.

Seriously, even fake beats have been known to give off better sound quality than the originals. I used to get my Ray Bans at DX but they got told to stop it :(

Nothing like grand theft to start the week. I see that Eric the Red has been busy serving his corporate masters.

Did the Stasi, at any point, think it might be a good idea to actually, oh, I don't know, have a trial wherein the accused has a chance to defend themselves?

Seriously, even fake beats have been known to give off better sound quality than the originals. I used to get my Ray Bans at DX but they got told to stop it :(

DVDs too.

Buy a "pirate DVD" it works with the exact same quality and none of the crap. Buy the real on, get the unskipable 15 mins of ads.. Old picture, but this sums it up nicely:

legal-dvd-vs-pirate-dvd.jpg

DVDs too.

Buy a "pirate DVD" it works with the exact same quality and none of the crap. Buy the real on, get the unskipable 15 mins of ads.. Old picture, but this sums it up nicely:

legal-dvd-vs-pirate-dvd.jpg

I know that feel man... :mad:

That image could start a consumer revolution. No kidding. I just sent that picture to every person on my contact list.

"A lot of these sites are made up to look like the actual thing but grammar's incorrect a lot of times and prices are well below what they should be," HSI special agent Nicholas Peruzzini said. "It's not tough to tell you're dealing with counterfeit sites."

That sums up that whole article. "Prices are well below what they should be"

I'm all for competing goods, but not imitation goods where a reputable store vouches for the legitimacy of a vendor, and then the customer ends up getting a knockoff.

Search for "iPad smart cover" on Amazon. They list them as being apple but reviews show them all to be selling knockoffs. Is this good for the market or the consumer? Nope.

Welp, they managed to snag my favorite site for knockoff NFL Jerseys. Thankfully I have a gmail address for them from my previous orders so I can still do business with them directly without a website. This is just a game of whac-a-mole - seizing a domain does nothing to stop this activity.

I wait for movies I want to see to come to Netflix streaming or HBO. I haven't bought a DVD in about 3 years.. except for gifts. I also can't stand camera bootlegs. If I go looking for a download, it's a movie that's out of print or something, or a TV show that was interrupted by Football :mad:

132 domain names seems so small. On a day like Cyber Monday you'd think there'd be tens or hundreds of thousands of web sites out there preying on ignorant online buyers.

DVDs too.

http://www.lauexplorer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/legal-dvd-vs-pirate-dvd.jpg

most of them let you press fast forward so you can watch the annoying stuff at 32x speed(the legal parts they norm lock the fast forward but that's only 30 secs), but some also Lock the fast forward button as well, guess what's next they lock the eject button

first thing i do when i get an legit DVD is Rip it to my media server so not norm an issue as it only rips the main content unless i want the menu as well

Back