Feed my need - Two nVidia 680s need output

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased the parts for a new rig. i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, 2x680 superclocked, 2xRAID-0 SSD sets. I'm hoping the system be smokin'!

Problem is, I haven't bought a monitor. At first, I was going to go with the BenQ XL2420TX, but then kept seeing NCX's reviews and all the bad reports of its nVision 2 transmitter issues, and something about it's antiglare coating being a problem. Also saw that at 60Hz, the input lag suffered. Oh and problems with ghosting. So I got turned off quick.

I want a monitor to use for programming and gaming. I'd like to connect my PS3 to it, but most importantly, I want to use the two 680s in the machine as optimally as possible.

So my question:

Get a 2560x1440p monitor (which I hear suffers from input lag because of the scalers) and also is limited to 60fps because of the 60Hz ceiling

OR

Get a 1080p set that has low input lag, 120Hz, and good picture quality. (Contenders are unfortunately the ASUS lineup - I say unfortunately, because I've bought those before and have been bit by backlight bleed issues).

OR

Wait for the new Asus 144Hz 1ms response time monitor to come out (hopefully this month). That's only 1080p though.

======

What do you suggest, [H]? Which monitors feed my need and should be looked at before I shell out my hard earned cash to some dealer? I could use some suggestions/advice/blistering-hot-insults ASAP. Many thanks ahead. OH and I should mention, I'm not really interested in buying from Korean eBay sellers. Don't want to gamble on that. Would prefer US dealers who I can deal with good customer support if I have a problem with the display.

Last edited:
well, if you decide to go the 60hz route, check out monoprice's new lcd. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=1#largeimage&ref=cj

It looks like it's the same or similar panel to those used in the Korean monitors everyone is raving about, but from a US distributor with warranty. And because it's such a no frills monitor, there's no scalar, but that would mean you can't connect your PS3 to it (dual link dvi-d input only).

I'm not saying it's the best option, but the price is right, if they could keep them in stock. If this is something you're interested in, sign up for stock notification, because i've found they often get more in stock before their eta. I know I'm excited to check these out.

Thanks CrazyRob. I'll take a look. If I can't connect my PS3, oh well. If it means a good, fast monitor with great picture quality, I'll keep the PS3 on the Vizio 32". Thanks.

* Wow. No availability until March 2013. That's actually too far for my needs.

Back