Fermi won't be available until well into 2010 (maybe February, probably March)

now I'm really bummed: my CPU platform is dead for all intensive purposes but still breathing which is really infuriating. My original thinking when I purchased 680i was to get 4 years out of it; grab the lowest possible SKU now and in 3 years grab a cheap 45nm part at blowout sale, but the damn Q9550's are in effing demand, and still quite happily holding their $250 MSRP with e-tailers. I've never been in a situation that a good whack of overclocking couldn't get me out of but here I am, with my little 3.3Ghz 2MB L2 conroe, wishing I could have a real core processor :(

My 8800GTS folds nicely but consumes huge amounts of power and is outputting meh FPS in the L4D2 demo. The HD5k series is technically impressive but short demand + no competition means drastically inflated prices. When Fermi comes out I'm expecting the MSRP of the 5850 to go down by at least $50 (depending on the lowest Fermi SKU --which in itself might be a viable option). Combined with another $50 drop (as the price is over MSRP as it is) means that theres huge savings to be had on these cards for just waiting. I was hoping to have a new setup for MW2, but I guess not.

4GB of DDR2 just-touching 1000MHz is looking slower and smaller by the day.

The thing that really kicked me in the ass was my dad buying a $600 CAD beige box that had a CPU that could kick my CPU's ass, 4GB of ram, and (potentially) a better overclocking chipset (that is, if the OEMS hadn't included the worlds most useless BIOS).

And as a 2nd year compsci student its getting increasingly annoying not to have a laptop. I was hoping to pickup an HP mini 311 but alas, my plans dashed again by Nvidia and their ION-2 predicament.

:mad:

So! as you can see as illustrated in the above thesis forum post my entire life has been ruined by Nvidia... :p

Christ, sometimes its painful to realize just how grotesque a consumer the Silicon-Cabal would have you become...

I was really hoping to see Fermi by the end of this year too. I will be getting a 5800 card but I bet the Fermi will be an amazing card if everything Nvidia says if true. Sucks that Fermi won't be out for another 3 or 4 months.

that's about $20 x 30 lap dances for one fermi card. not a bad deal :) Let the build up of DX11 pc games start next year unless developers are still plagued with consolitus. cough cough....Inifity Ward.....cough cough.

You know this would not be an issue if Nvidia would get off its ass and start pushing the equipment makers to get out Tegra based products.

An expensive ZuneHD and an expensive ass and buggy phone and its November. WTF Nvidia?

I'm not flaming anyone I'm just simply stating fact that the 58xx was a paper launch. A soft launch at the very least. Just because you refuse to believe it does not mean it isn't true. I am neither a fan of nvidia or ati as I simply buy what's best at the time for the money.

No, you're trolling for replies. And I am just the sort of silly person to reply. You're not stating fact at all, at best you're stating opinion.

Just because YOU refuse to believe the truth doesn't make it true either, no matter how many threads YOU post such in.

I'm not a fanboy, I also pointed that out in the other thread where I saw you make such claims. And in fact I said the same thing, I buy what I think is best at the time, or if on a budget best bang for the buck. Then again you were calling anyone daring to disagree with you a "phan" in that thread as an aside, but I digress.

So, feel free to call me a "phan" or fanboy. You'll be wrong, and based on another article posted here on HardOCP let alone the FACT that many people DO have 5870's and 5850's in their PC (shall I link the photo of the two in mine in another thread here? I can go to my dad's house and photograph his if you just insist, HE has two also as an aside) you've been proven wrong about your paper launch claims (soft MAYBE, depending on how one wishes to define it, but not paper).

But go ahead and claim paper launch again. I'm sure your toes are tasty, you do enjoy having your foot in your mouth. Feel free to prove my points again. :)

Doubt I'll reply this time, you're going to get pretty bloated and start getting dude udders, I've been feeding you too much, I have to admit it's bad form to feed a troll.

Hookers are expensive! All you need is something inflatable and some wine fermented in a garbage bag. Rubber dolls and pruno for me, baby!

Somewhere, this thread took a turn as wrong as nVidia's plans for Fermi launching this year or sometime near the 58xx line :D

That 5870x2 is going to look nice in my computer when it does see the light of day!!!

That 5870x2 is going to look nice in my computer when it does see the light of day!!!
That implies its coming late
Do you mean the Fermi which is vaporware? Far as I know 5870x2 (5970) has not been delayed at all and has leaked pics already.

No, I am not talking about Fermi. I have not owned an ATI card since the 9800 series years back. But with this nvidia launch getting pushed back even more, I am def going the ATI route for that 5870x2 when they are released.

if ATI cards folded better I would have at least one 5870 right now.

assuming I could snap one up before they instantly go OOS, that is :)

Did anyone else notice the lack of availability on current high end GPUs from nV as well?

I sold my GTX295 a month ago and was hoping to get GT300 soon...guess i sold my baby too soon :(

Now i am stuck with 8800 for a long time :sad:

DX 11 games is already out, battleforge and Stalker:CoP AFAIK...

I wouldn't call those games "DX11 games." Sure they offer DX11 support, but it's not prevalent in the game itself.

I just bought a 9800 GT for 70 bucks while waiting for next year. I'm content, considering I can pass this off to my brother and get a new GPU hopefully for less than now. Especially since 5850's MSRP was upped by 20.

I wouldn't call those games "DX11 games." Sure they offer DX11 support, but it's not prevalent in the game itself.

It's hard because of the console generation, of course there are exceptions... but they normally don't show up straight away.

I hope i'm wrong and a stream of games get released for xmas.

nösferatu;1034896142 said:
Did anyone else notice the lack of availability on current high end GPUs from nV as well?

Nvidia is supply-constrained on its high-end models. I don't think they will ramp up production but it will delay availability until next year. Is this a good thing? Well, x-mas is the time to make the most out of sales, not Jan 2010!

Stay tuned to the next episode of.......When Fanbois strike!

Back