Few questions about the PS3 i may purchase tomorrow

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
i may jump on this deal tomorrow and get MGS4, it comes out to basically a $299 40GB PS3 http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53093

i just have a few questions, sorry if they are dumb but i don't really follow console gaming anymore

If i wanted to install Linux on the PS3 or run one of the folding clients or any other mods does it matter what PS3 you get like 40gb, 80gb etc?

I take it you can upgrade the HDD to a drive of any bigger size as long as its the same physical size HDD?

I plan to use my Z-5500 with it, so what i want to do is keep using the direct input for my computer and use the optical input for the PS3 and all i have to do to switch between them is select the input on my Z-5500 control center?

I am planning to use my Samsung 245BW with a HDMI>DVI cable, i already made a thread about this and people say it works great just slightly stretches the image to make it full screen, any last input on this?

For your first and second question, it would be better if you browse through the Playstation forum but I think that I can answer them but not really sure.

1) You don't need to install Linux to Fold, at least not on my 60GB PS3. There is a client installed with the latest firmware already.

2) I think that any notebook Sata drive can be used as an upgrade however you need to go to the Playstation forum to know how to do it because the PS3 uses its own partition format.

3) The Z5500 will work like you said.

4) I don't know about 245BW but my PS3 works like a charm with my 2407WFP however I also use the monitor with my desktop through DVI so it is quite a hassle to unplug the cable and plug it back.

I'm using the DVI-HDMI adaptor that comes with my HD3870 so I can unplug my monitor and plug it back quite easily.

Nvidia cards are troublesome if you unplug the cable without turning off the computer because when you plug it back, the screen resolution will change and sometime I got "frequency out of range" error. ATi cards work flawlessly for this.

1. It doesn't matter which version of the PS3 you get, either will work with Folding and with Linux
2. It can take any SATA notebook drive of the same size, but make sure you check as I can remember something like it only being able to go to 160 or something
3. Answer is same as above
4. HDMI to DVI cable should work fine.

I have the 60 gig. If you're going to just throw a notebook drive into it, just make sure it runs about the same rpm. (5400). Although I've heard some people used a 7400 with no problems. I installed a 250 gig HDD in mine. The PS3 will boot up and ask if you want to format....just hit x and you're off. The manual should have a section telling you how to swap it out. It can be done in 2 minutes. A 299 PS3 with MGS4? That's a sweet deal.

*edit: The way you want to hook up the sound should be fine. If you use optical, you may have to go under audio settings and choose optical.
As far as folding goes, it should be installed or have an icon to install the client. The PS3 is a folding beast.

All of your questions will work fine.

I have a samsung 216bw, which is almost Identical to your monitor except yours is 24" when mine is 21"

HDMI>DVI works like a charm.
480P
720P
1080i
all work on mine with minor cutoff/stretching.
I found that 720P looks like the best scaled resolution.

Just a side note if you sign up for a Sony card you get another 100 dollars off, if you buy it from Wal-Mart.

Did this two weeks ago, worked like a charm. Basically a PS3 for 199

2. It can take any SATA notebook drive of the same size, but make sure you check as I can remember something like it only being able to go to 160 or something
3. Answer is same as above.

You're thinking of PS2. PS3 does not have this limit.

I think there's some "iffy" around anything over 250gb. But there are people using 320gb without problems I believe.

thanks for all the info, i have not purchased it yet but after watching the video reviews and everyone saying it is EPIC, my purchasing is imminent ,

now from another thread i take it this is what i want for the video cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

and the PS3 does not come with an audio optical cable so i need this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

also one other questions for the sound, if i use the optical in on my Z-5500 for the sound will i still be able to use the headphones, which is what i always use, so it will be just like the direct input or would i need to take out the headphones?

Nvidia cards are troublesome if you unplug the cable without turning off the computer because when you plug it back, the screen resolution will change and sometime I got "frequency out of range" error. ATi cards work flawlessly for this.

i don't have this problem at all with sli 8800's under vista with my 20" lg. :confused:

also one other questions for the sound, if i use the optical in on my Z-5500 for the sound will i still be able to use the headphones, which is what i always use, so it will be just like the direct input or would i need to take out the headphones?

i really wish there was a headphone jack on the ps3 itself.

I've looked up benchies of using 7200 rpm in PS3 and it makes absolutely no difference so sticking with 5400 RPM is a sensible choice.

Gamespot also posted an article about using a SSD in PS3, pretty neat but didn't help much.

Back