Filco mechanical is sticking on letter E

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone, with the help of some of you guys and gals I learned about mechanical keyboards and then I purchased a Filco Majestouch KNRO Linear keyboard about a year ago. Hands down the best investment I've ever made in my pc. Well I've used it intensely for the last year, and just now I'm having my first error: The E key is either repeating too quickly or it's not registering at all unless I click it a few times.:eek: This may be because I use E as my forward key in all of my pc gaming which is a lot: I actually use ESDF for movement in all my games. So I'm sure the E key takees a beating.

Is the key going bad, or does it just need some cleeeaning/mainteenance? Just 2 weeks ago I ordered a key puller and some replacement caps, just because the keys had warn smooth on their tops from massive use. and I'm going to install the caps and clean it a bit. Do you think this will make the key stop sticking and start registering every click again. :confused:

Well thanks for any expert advice you can offer. :)

Definitely pull the key off and see if there's some gunk or something stuck on the switch. What does it feel like? Do you get the tactile bump? (Or is it black switches without a bump?)

Definitely pull the key off and see if there's some gunk or something stuck on the switch. What does it feel like? Do you get the tactile bump? (Or is it black switches without a bump?)

Cherry MX Black, I can activate the key without bottoming it out, but I always hit harder than that and hear the click of the keycap. I really doesn't seem sticky, maybe a tiny bit.....

eh, you should be able to swap the broken key switch with one you don't use. look here for pics.
http://kojiroh.a6.idv.tw/html/td_01.htm
pulling the key cap off is fairly easy, the key switch itself might be a lot tricker.
It looks like they use a special puller. Tweezers with bent ends will probably work as well.
Disassembling the switch and blowing on it also might fix it, it is likely just dust in the switch.

You could try lubing the switch.

Check geekhack for more info on mechanical keyboard maintenance and mods.

Back