File recovery from hard drive

tronmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi there!

Okay here is what happen:

1. Old 2tb hard drive (no problems).
2. New 2tb hard drive (bought for additional storage).
3. Accidentily, quick formated in Windows 7 the old 2tb where it should have been the new 2tb.
4. Accidentily, copied files from 2 old 1tb hard drives to the quick formated 2tb hard drive.
5. Once I realize my mistake I copied approximately, 1.01 tb to the 2 tb hard drive. Leaving only 800 GB free. And that's where the old 2tb hard drive stands now.
6. I basically want to try to recover what's left from the old 2 tb hard drive if I can any thing from that 800 GB free section.
7. I think I only had 900 gigs or 1.1 TB used, I can't remember though.

I tried the following programs:

Paid versions of Handy Recovery, Get Data Back, Active File Recovery, no go.
Demo versions of Zero Assumption Recovery, Easus Data Recovery, no go. I probably tried more but I don't remember their names.
Free version of Recurva, worked after a deep scan, but only got 200GB!

I am right now trying a demo of DiskDigger and tempted to try TestDisk. However, I think TestDisk won't work since I got files back on top of it.

The 2tb is a NTFS drive.

Anyone else have any ideas? If not I need to be more careful in which 2tb is the new drive and the one that I am currently using

I've used products from Disk Internals for the same mistake. It's worked well for me. The Partition Recovery product might be what you need. Though YMMV given the extra writes already done to the old drive, but it's still worth a shot.

Okay, thanks PTNL, it's worth a shot to try and if it works and I can report back if it it does or not. *crosses fingers*

You can try, but I think it's safe to say your screwed after a format AND over-writing the data....unless you have stuff worth paying a real forensic data recovery company for.

TestDisk, one of my most highly recommended and used apps, and it's free. Also, if commercial options are available, I can't recommend R-Studio enough, ever.

Back