Final advice before purchase ($2000 build)

Markyip1

[H]ard|Gawd
Ahoy hoy,

Thanks again for all the help. I'm just finishing up my research and will buy over the weekend. Here are the planned specs as of now. Opinions and advice would be much appreciated!

(from NewEgg.com)
--------------------------------------------
Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR / nForce680i SLI AXT ($239)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ($314)
Video Cards (x2) EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB SUPERCLOCKED ($379 each w rebate / $758 total)
RAM: 4 Gig (2 x 2x1Gig) OCZ Platinum Revision 2 - 240-Pin DDR2 800 ($175 each w rebate / $350 total)
Case: Silverstone TJ-07B ($299)
PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ00GXSSLI 700W ($134 w rebate)
CPU Fan: Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU fan/heatsink - $52.99)

Total Spent ($2146)

As I've mentioned before, several parts will be taken from my current PC, including:
- Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum Edition Sound Card
- 2 250Gig SATA 7,200 RPM Hard Disk (for RAID 0), plus 60Gig PATA internal backup drive
- 16X DVD-ROM plus 8X DVD-RW Drive (may buy a new one for $30)
- Microsoft Laser Desktop 6000 v2 (mouse / keyboard)
- Logitech 5500 Speaker Setup
- Dell 2001FP LCD Monitor (will upgrade to Dell 24 widescreen as separate purchase)

I still have several questions before buying. First, given my plans to play at native res on at 24 inch monitor, would I be better off with 2 GTX cards in SLI for an extra couple hundred?

Second, I've been debating between the Silverstone and Coolermaster 832 for a case. The Silverstone looks like a sturdier case of higher quality, but the coolermaster may be better for ventilation... I don't know. I also don't like that the coolermaster only comes with a bay for 4 hard drives, and that most of the fans you can add are not already included. Any advice given my setup?

Lastly, if you know of a component that should be switched for another (such as the power supply or fan,) let me know. I'm planning to keep this rig for at least 3 years, so everything I buy now should be good enough for the future.

Thanks for all the help,

Mark.

Skip the OCZ GXS 700W: http://jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442

Choose a better one from this list: http://jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103
or this list: nm, its gone, lol.

I don't have a silverstone case, so I can't comment on it. I do, however, love the CM Stacker :D Though it doesn't come with all the fans, its still a good case, and big enough for your GTX('s). On that note, I think GTX SLI would be better for a 24" LCD. Try out the single card first, and add in the 2nd later :p

Hmm... A quiet CPU is important, considering that the machine will be in my bedroom. From the provided list, the Silverstone Zeus was the quietest mentioned, but it's also $280 vs $150 for the OCZ (which I'm sure I can even find for cheaper else where.) Will the OC support GTX SLI or is it really a product to be avoided? If so, are there any alternatives that are still quiet?

Thanks,

Mark.

The Seasonics are quiet, so go for one of those. Also, the Corsair 620W (made by seasonic) will be enough to power GTS' in SLI, along with all your drives and other card(s).

I would drop the SLI 8800GTS and go with the lowest Single EVGA 8800GTX..

Lower power requirements, less heat generated.

When and If you decide to upgrade, you can either add another 8800GTX or resell it for a higher value.

Would save you $239 and you could probally overclock it just as high, and get similar performance..

The 8800GTX should have 0 problems pushing 1900x1200.

Also take into consideration that 99% of the time the rebates are limited to 1 per household.

+1 to Spazilton

Get the best single card you can afford and then in the future you have room to throw another one in. if you buy 2 8800gts's now,well you can't add much to that now can you?

Back