Final Fantasy VII now available on Steam

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
I may pick it up for nostalgic reasons if it's on sale for $5 later, but $12 is a bit steep for a 16 year old classic.

That's a surprise. Came with achievements too so some effort went into it :eek:

I hope they put FF8 too on Steam. I lost my disc years ago.

I was never a huge fan of FFVII (yeah I said it!), but I certainly agree with Hornet, hopefully they throw FFVIII on there at some point. Supposedly Sqenix is doing an HD Remake of it, so hopefully we see that in the near future.

That's a surprise. Came with achievements too so some effort went into it :eek:

I hope they put FF8 too on Steam. I lost my disc years ago.

FFVII was already released for PC, so it was pretty trivial to put it on steam. I seriously doubt we'll see any other FF incarnation on there..

FFVII was already released for PC, so it was pretty trivial to put it on steam. I seriously doubt we'll see any other FF incarnation on there..

FF8 was also ported to the PC and I believe SquareEnix is giving it the same rerelease treatment that 7 got. Also, FF11 is already on Steam and 14 will probably pop up there at some point.

I never finished it back in the day so if it goes on sale, I'm in.

So I wanted to play this game again.. I never finished it on my ps2. I still have the psone CDs . I heard the PC had 2 versions with different sound tracks and stuff.. I was wondering what is the best way to play it? The steam version?

Thanks!

Been looking to play this again with the texture mods. Probably pick this up if it goes on the Steam Summer Sale here in a week or so.

FF8 was also ported to the PC and I believe SquareEnix is giving it the same rerelease treatment that 7 got. Also, FF11 is already on Steam and 14 will probably pop up there at some point.

11 and 14 were released on PC to begin with, but they don't really count since they're just MMOs. :D. Didn't know that about FF8, though.

I had a PC copy of FF7 years ago. IIRC it was six discs, such a pain in the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the original PC version but don't feel like making it work and I never beat the game so I need to. I might pick up the Steam version if it makes the summer sale.

Do you guys know anything about the music options in this version? I see that it uses MP3 for music. Is it the original music in MP3 format? Is there a MIDI option?

I had (maybe still have, if I can find it) the disc version of this for Windows 95 too lol

4 discs total, 1 install and 3 game discs. IIRC it used MIDI for the soundtrack. I never could find FF8 in stores even though I know it came out for Windows as well.

So, the stupid SE DRM is somewhat intact with this version. I wont even bother installing it again until that gets modded out.

Also, you can get identical music playback to the PS1 version with a mod. (Thank goodness)

I have the original PC version but don't feel like making it work and I never beat the game so I need to. I might pick up the Steam version if it makes the summer sale.

Do you guys know anything about the music options in this version? I see that it uses MP3 for music. Is it the original music in MP3 format? Is there a MIDI option?

i got stuck on sephiroth cause i was only like 11 or 12 or something and i didnt have the levels necessary haha. i was like lvl 49

i got stuck on sephiroth cause i was only like 11 or 12 or something and i didnt have the levels necessary haha. i was like lvl 49
My first playthrough on the PSX, I didn't level players or materia properly. Not sure if it's a common strategy, but years later on my next playthrough I found that I needed to alternate characters so they could all level up and I needed to alternate materia so that it would level up so that when I was forced to use different characters everything would be leveled-up enough to charge through. I did very well through the game with that tactic but I lost interest and just stopped probably halfway through.

This game supports CLOUD saves...get it?! Cloud. Saves.

Buahahahahaha!!! That is all.

10% off at GMG with this code: GMG10-VTTCS-VYH18

The Steam version has the midi music, but you can mod the OST to it.

I'm not sure what to think that it's topping the steam sales chart.

I think Steam top sellers list is sorted by total revenue rather than just raw copies sold -- so yeah, it's off to a strong start.

edit:
10% off at GMG with this code: GMG10-VTTCS-VYH18

The Steam version has the midi music, but you can mod the OST to it.

Whhhhy did they not do this by default wtf.

Also I want a fucking PC version of Tactics.

Last edited:
Back