Final S939 Upgrade

frankhuzzah

Weaksauce
I've been out of the hardware scene for a while now. (Stupid guitar scene got me and I bought many computers worth of gear there...) But I'm looking to make a final upgrade to my s939 system. Currently I have a Athlon 64 3200+ in my ASUS A8N-E.

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like the X2 4400+ and 4800+ were both good, but are now impossible to find. Are the Opterons currently the best choice or is a 4200+ decent? I'm not really looking for the 'fastest' thing out there, nor am I the most extreme user. Mostly I just want to squeak some more time out of my current build before I do a complete system upgrade.

I went from the opteron 146 (single core) to the X2 4400 dual core (each core has 1mb cache) and the X2 4200 only has 512kb per cpu.

you can go with a similar opteron as well, i just lucked out and found mine

I snagged a 440+ X2 with the 1mb cache before you couldn't get them at the 'egg anymore.

Since they're cheap now, just get the highest dual-core 1MB of cache per core chip you can find/afford. ;) And overclock, of course.

Im also soon going to do a final upgrade for my socket 939 with a new socket 939 motherboard and either a x2 3800+ or x2 4200+. The reason why im still sticking to 939 and not moving on to am2 is because that I will have to get new ram! Unless people are willing to trade their ddr2 rams for my corsair xms 2gb pc3200 rams. anyways heres a link to a retail version of a x2 4200+ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1446873&CatId=1948

i'd say for your 939 situation, just get an opty.

as mentioned before, 165's have a greater 'delta' for OC"ing but make sure your board can deal w/ cranking on a 9x multiplier.

i went w/ the 175 myself (came from a 3500+). 11x multi helps considering my board wouldn't get near 300mhz

no 165.... the 9x will kill your a8n-E you will need an opteron 175-185 to get 2.6-3.0 ghz clock speeds with that motherboard..

it will not go over 300mhz FSB

The opty is only an option for you if you OC, as it is 1.8ghz out of the box. the 4400 is the same core (toledo), just half the cache, and 200mhz less, which shoudln't have much of a real world effect on perofrmance anyway.

Depending on your budget, you should be able to grab a 4800+ (if that's what you want) from ebay for ~$250.

my 144 does 3050 w/ 1.4vcore and it's still pretty quick with games

thinking i might eventually go to a 165 that'll do 3+ghz

think my cuda IV 40gb drive might be slowing my system down though ... also 1gb bh5 at 265 2220

I'm seriously looking at the Opteron 170 on Newegg. I'm willing to spend more, but is the 175 worth the extra $40 or the 180 worth the extra $80?

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really appreciate it.

not if you're overclocking IMHO

i'm getting a 165 for sure

my dfi does 350+ and i have a pretty high end water setup so.................

cache didn't do much for these cpu's. if you can get a X2 4200 or 4600 for less then that would be a better deal.

Go for an FX-60. That is the fasest you can get at this point. Plus you can find them pretty cheap on New Egg or Tiger direct.

i love my 4400. overclocked it to 2860 mhz (so what if orthos isnt stable:p )(no random crashes or heat issues and its stable for what i do with it) the only problem is finding it. i ordered mine from the egg last holiday season.

I was in the same situation, looking to upgrade my single core to a dual core in my s939 rig. I went with a X2 4400+, i've been happy with it's performance, though it's not much of an overclocker (mine isn't anyway) I have it running at 2.5GHz up from 2.2GHz. I can get to 2.6, but not without a very big voltage increase that I'm not comfortable with. If I had the upgrade to do over again, I'd have went with a dual core Opteron.

I was in the same situation, looking to upgrade my single core to a dual core in my s939 rig. I went with a X2 4400+, i've been happy with it's performance, though it's not much of an overclocker (mine isn't anyway) I have it running at 2.5GHz up from 2.2GHz. I can get to 2.6, but not without a very big voltage increase that I'm not comfortable with. If I had the upgrade to do over again, I'd have went with a dual core Opteron.

really ? mine took almost no voltage increase to get to 2.86

i have had 2 3800+ X2s and both of them hit a wall at 2.6... I could not get them to go over no matter what vcore i through at them

my opteron 165 does 3.0 @ 1.45v and will go higher

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate all the help.

It is really depressing that AMD completely abandoned this socket, though. I was just doing some pricing and for about $200 more than the going rate of a 4800+ on eBay, I could convert to a E6600 C2D system. Not that I want to spend the extra money, but, it seems like the jump I'd see (especially OCing it) in performance would be much more substantial. I just don't know...

I'm sitting on my Paypal account for the time being, and in the meantime? I'm overclocking my X2 3800+ to my heart's content. 939 4 life, dawg. :)

I went from a Opty 144 to a 165 for dually and clocked it @ 2.8:) Very happy with it..... I don't want to upgrade for at least another year. 165s are cheap at newegg also right now.

Yes it sucks that they lost support, and ddn't forsee the future with DDR2 and made it compatible with that setup.

For us 939 fans, we would need to replace motherboard, ram and cpu, which is quite expensive.

I cannot justify the difference in performance per $ so I am sticking with it tell something either makes me upgrade. If I upgraded now, I would dump the AMD and go with C2D. AMD seems a bit lost right now. They don't have an answer for the C2D. They need to revamp the core completely like Intel did. K8 needs to go bye bye.

As of now, I am riding out my x2 4400+.

Back