Finally a Good, Cheap 2x2GB 1000mhz DDR2 (PC2-8000)

jzodda

Gawd
Specs:
G.Skill
Capacity: 4GB (2GB x 2)
Speed: 1000MHz DDR2 (PC2-8000)
Latency: CL 5-5-5-15 (EPP Ready)
Voltage: 2.0~2.1 Volts
PCB: 6 Layers PCB
Warranty: Lifetime

Price

Newegg: $114.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

Review: Interesting one at Xtreme Systems

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2541647

I have been waiting for this for months to add 4GB for Vista 64. 4x1GB would not let me keep my overclock. These look better then the ones I have now with regards to heat, voltage and OC ability. Grabbing a pair for a workout next week and will report. From that review it would seem that these are great for mainstream (ie:non-benching) use.

I was going to buy some last night because it is so cheap. I sold my DDR2 rig, and have no use for it. So thought that them ram might come in handy when needed.

Decided to wait, It might get a bit cheaper. Because ddr2 still has at least 4 months of mainstream life let.

Then ddr3 will start to take over.

I ordered on 11/7 for $169. It dropped before it actually delivered to me. I emailed support@newegg to see if I could be afforded the same discount and have the savings credited back to my CC. It's chugging along fine in Vista 64 Ultimate at 1066 at 2.0v. Runs cool as well. Nice sticks here.

I don't get why so many people are predicting doom and gloom for DDR2. I mean AMD's not going DDR3 for what, like a year (or more) right?

At least they gave me a 15 dollar credit.......better than nothing.

I ordered on 11/7 for $169. It dropped before it actually delivered to me. I emailed support@newegg to see if I could be afforded the same discount and have the savings credited back to my CC. It's chugging along fine in Vista 64 Ultimate at 1066 at 2.0v. Runs cool as well. Nice sticks here.

I bought 8 gigs of the GSkill DDR 800 stuff last week at $330 shipped. Price on the 800 and 1000 dropped about 30-40 bucks a week later. Just put in for an RMA no restocking and ordered 8 gigs of the DDR1000.

be carefull about oc with g.skill ram they are not that great and one of my sticks died for no reason

FWIW, I just installed these sticks about an hour ago, after upgrading from a pair of Corsair CM2X1024-5400C4. My memory index jumped a bit from 5.3 to 5.6 (on a non-overclocked E6600). However, things're definitely snappier. Whereas before Vista (Ultimate) would beat my poor boot drive to death, that activity has drastically decreased, whereas load times for apps and games have improved greatly.

I'm leery of OC'ing these on a Bad Axe 2, but I might try. Last time I tried OC'ing the Corsairs, I got a helluva scare.

Oh, Newegg gave me a $15 refund, too. ;)

Mine arrived today and I had problems. I couldn't get Vista to boot with more than one of the Dimms. Even the Vista DVD was crashing when I had 4, 6, or 8g in the system. A MS hotfix saved the day.

I'm going to run some memory tests but for now they ram works good.

M

my experience so far has been interesting. My current FSB is 500 with mem ratio 1:1 which gives the spec 1000mhz for the ram.

After putting these in Memtest86 for a few test 5 passes they would not run past FSB 470. No errors, just would not run. I set my FSB back to 500 1:1 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V and booted into XP. Ran 2 instances of 32M Super Pi and they finished easily. I ran it a few times no problems. Then ran Orthos blend priority 10, and after 12 hours it was still going. Switched to Prime95 25.4 torture blend and I stopped that one at 17 hours, no errors. So why Memtest86 would not go beyond 470 FSB with 4 GB I can't answer. Its especially baffling because you would expect an error from the other tests then. I am thinking it could be some issue with the bios, but who knows.

After 17 hours on prime95 these sticks were cool to the touch, much cooler then my OCZ's ever were.

Going to see if I can do 5-5-4-12 tonight @ 2.1V :) Previous I could do no better then 510 FSB with the OCZ's and at higher voltages all around. I will see how high I can take it with these sticks before I have to up beyond 2.1V and raise the Mch.

So far I am liking these sticks.

I have these now stable at 500 FSB @ 2.150V 5-5-4-15 Ratio 1:1 which hits their spec 1000mhz.

I guess adding 2 GB adds stress to the memory controller so I had to increase my MCH to 1.60v from 1.55v (I have a big Heatsink/Fan on NB) At 1.55v orthos stressing memory would crap out at 10 hours, but after the bump it was still going after 18 hours when I stopped it. Same with Prime95-after the bump it was still going after 18 1/2 hours when I stopped that one.

Memtest86 still a mystery as it will not run over FSB 472 now. 471 runs without error, 472 will freeze. With 2GB memtest86 would run well over 510 FSB on this motherboard and the 2x1GB OCZ sticks. Since the other tests are solid, I decided my job is done for now :)

just wondering... what are you guys using more than 2 gigs for? Not criticizing, just curious.

photoshop? gaming now demands it?

just wondering... what are you guys using more than 2 gigs for? Not criticizing, just curious.

photoshop? gaming now demands it?

It's dirt cheap so why not stock up now and not need it later on?

having 4 gigs now is like having 2 gigs 2 years ago. it makes your e-pen0r bigger!

that said, I've got 2 gigs of crucial ballistix coming my way for 4 gig vista gaming madness :D

Bought this to go in my new DS3R, and system would exhibit the cold boot syndrome issue and affects a lot of P35 boards....... however I could boot up and run with one of the sticks in no problem, but the other stick would not work by itself, so I RMA'd it.

Got the other stuff back, stuck it in, runs like a champ. Haven't tried to overclock yet.

Anyone using 4 sticks of these (8GB) with a P35-based motherboard?

I'm using it without any problems. Make sure you apply the microsoft patch KB929777.

I underclocked mine to only 800mhz running 4-4-4-12 since my Q6600 is running at 400x8.

So far everything is running nice and smooth. I have yet to run into any freezing, hiccups, or BSOD.

I'm using it without any problems. Make sure you apply the microsoft patch KB929777.

I underclocked mine to only 800mhz running 4-4-4-12 since my Q6600 is running at 400x8.

So far everything is running nice and smooth. I have yet to run into any freezing, hiccups, or BSOD.
Thanks.

Which motherboard are you using?

Nice price for this speed and config... but I dont really need either -_-

Ordered a set up!

Now just need my P5E and my E8500. Can you say 4GHz+++?!?!

Back