FINALLY: An alerternative to Apple's 30in. High-Res Cinema Display

Azaloth

n00b
I know a lot of people (myself included) have been eagerly awaiting an alernative QXGA+ 30 in. display...

It looks like LG/Phillips and some other manufacturers will soon be debuting these based on this panel (I believe it's the same panel used by the Apple Display):
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd201_j_e.jsp

Here's a press release about their upcoming displays:
http://news.morningstar.com/news/BW/M12/D28/20041228005122.html

I also found this crazy tripple display array which appears to be centered around the same panel (god only knows what kind of beastly graphics card is needed to power this monstrosity):
http://www.digitaltigers.com/tigervista-powertriohd.shtml

Regardless, it looks like those of us who are interested in a high-end 30 in. display but don't like Apple products will have some options.

Azaloth said:
Regardless, it looks like those of us who are interested in a high-end 30 in. display but don't like Apple products will have some options.

I find this whole anti-apple attitude hilarious. Considering it will probably be the same panel. I'm not talking about just you Azaloth, just a strange trend that I don't get.

Anywho, awesome links, I can't wait to see how the prices pan out for the new displays.

I find this whole anti-apple attitude hilarious. Considering it will probably be the same panel. I'm not talking about just you Azaloth, just a strange trend that I don't get.

You know, I could say the same about a lot of the Apple people. Personally, I think Apple makes good products, but they charge a little too much for their products. Anyway, back to the topic, yeah, nice find. I wonder how much will these 30" LCD cost.

I have a tons of respect for Apple and recognize them as technology innovators, user interface masters, and solid product marketers. However, I personally find their logo and overall design style to be hideous.

My home theater/PC setup is entirely black and silver so I'd prefer a monitor that jives better with that aesthetic than these Apple displays.

Disco_Stu_04 said:

Anywho, awesome links, I can't wait to see how the prices pan out for the new displays.

Azaloth said:
I also found this crazy tripple display array which appears to be centered around the same panel (god only knows what kind of beastly graphics card is needed to power this monstrosity):
http://www.digitaltigers.com/tigervista-powertriohd.shtml

This looks pretty promising - a zero dead pixel policy on their Samsung panels!
http://www.digitaltigers.com/tigervista.shtml

TigerVista Quality
100% Guaranteed

# World's best LCD quality
# Zero dead pixels on Samsung LCDs
# Unlimited toll-free support
# Three-year international warranty
# Low price guarantee

Azaloth said:
I know a lot of people (myself included) have been eagerly awaiting an alernative QXGA+ 30 in. display...

It looks like LG/Phillips and some other manufacturers will soon be debuting these based on this panel (I believe it's the same panel used by the Apple Display):
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd201_j_e.jsp

Here's a press release about their upcoming displays:.

that link show nothing.

however, if you are referring to the Lm300W01, then it is old news. We know this since Aug 2004. The upcoming 30" from HP (and perhaps Sony) will be the very same screen. More Input such as S-video, but very same screen

the 30" is useless for a gamer due to its use of a non-standard resolution and how the hell are you going to get a decent framerate in games at 2560x1600. WUXGA/WSXGA will become the standard and is allready available in the latest and future titles.

A 30" WUXGA is another matter alltogethor.

Sorry about that, dynamic content must not be loading correctly when the link is hit externally. Use this link: http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp and click "LM300W01" to view specs.

Yes, I am referring to the LM300W01.

Happy Hopping said:
that link show nothing.

however, if you are referring to the Lm300W01, then it is old news. We know this since Aug 2004. The upcoming 30" from HP (and perhaps Sony) will be the very same screen. More Input such as S-video, but very same screen

I'm more interested in this monitor for my design/project management work than for gaming, although games at lower resolutions should still look pretty sweet IMHO. I hear that UT2004 (and games based on the Unreal engine) is playable at the higher resolutions as well.

kleox64 said:
the 30" is useless for a gamer due to its use of a non-standard resolution and how the hell are you going to get a decent framerate in games at 2560x1600. WUXGA/WSXGA will become the standard and is allready available in the latest and future titles.

A 30" WUXGA is another matter alltogethor.

Your right about that i agree, for design work its excelent i cant fault it.
Oldergames will work fine but not the latest DX9 tiltles etc..

Also 1280x800 is scaled perfectly by two.

Tiger direct is nobody. Are they seriously expecting people to use their software to drive those multiple screens? How many million dollar of R&D did they put in to that s/w?

If I buy their 6 x 24", what video card can drive such high res.?

Dual slot PCI express couldn't possibly drive 6 x 24". I can't imagine the speed, it will be like watching my screen in slow motion.

Matrox has PCIe (x1) that can drive the Apple 30" via DVI. And you can find motherboards with multiple PCIe(x1) slots not including your x16 slots, so, if you want, you can drive multiple 30" Apples, which means you can do the same with the 24".

Also 1280x800 is scaled perfectly by two.
But way to sharp or rather "pixellated" . I can´t really use the 1280x800 in games only by changing to videoadapter scaling it looks acceptable. 1920x1200 looks much better.

Denis

Happy Hopping said:
The upcoming 30" from HP (and perhaps Sony) will be the very same screen. More Input such as S-video, but very same screen

Is there any proof that HP (or any other company) is coming out with a 30" LCD with the same panel? I've searched but haven't come up with anything myself. It would be great to see another company release one to drive down prices though.

i thought lcds scale better with integers? i.e. by 2 in the case of the 30".
I cant see how 1920x1200 would look better as 1280x800 scales perfectly.

I cant see how 1920x1200 would look better as 1280x800 scales perfectly.
I can only tell you what I see ;-) and 1280x800 is no choice. Of course the "interpolation" is perfekt (exactly 1/4 of 2560x1600), maybe that´s the problem concerning the size of the screen.

Denis

frisbfreek said:
Is there any proof that HP (or any other company) is coming out with a 30" LCD with the same panel? I've searched but haven't come up with anything myself. It would be great to see another company release one to drive down prices though.

only thru insider news from people like me. But it is true, they even have the model name assigned L3035.

exe said:
Matrox has PCIe (x1) that can drive the Apple 30" via DVI. And you can find motherboards with multiple PCIe(x1) slots not including your x16 slots, so, if you want, you can drive multiple 30" Apples, which means you can do the same with the 24".

Not true. 24" doesn't need DL, 30" does. I can't see the details from Tiger proving there is video card that can run so many 30".

But if they mean at less than 60Hz, then I'll pass and they are out of their mind.

I didn't say you need dual link to drive a 24 incher. I just pointed out to the poster before me in reference to the possibility of driving six 24 inches, which is possible even in a PCI express setup. You just need multiple PCIe x1 slots to do so, since the PCIe x16 slots can only do one (or two if you use Quadro 4000 (or other dual DVI cards) or even four if you use SLI (two dual DVI cards)) excluding what you can do with the Matrox PCIe x1 that can do dual link (don't know what the config possibility is if doing DVI for WUXGA on the Matrox but minimum is one).

With multiple PCIe x1 slots, it is still true you can do multiple (as many of those slots as you have) via DVI to drive any LCD the same size or smaller than Apple's 30inch (except IBM T221).

Back