finally found a program that shows temps...

geckoman

Limp Gawd
Speedfan .. how reliable is it?

These are my current temps... I'm open to suggestions.

61808824-L.jpg

I'd imagine Speedfan is as accurate as any app that derive their readings from the BIOS.

With that said, my preference is MBM5, if only for the interface.

Most of these look high regardless of what they are on. Do you have goo cerculation in your case?

You know this doesnt look right. Click the info tag and see if your chipset is recognized. I dont think it is recognizing you board as these numbers look very strange.

60C for your CPU AND 127C for your motherboard is most likely wrong. It showed that temp for my cousins motherboard, try a different program like MBM5 or SmartGuardian (what I use)

You can find out your cpu temp by trying to slow down your fan1 percentage and see what temp goes up. It might not let you though. I agree with everyone else that 60C is pretty high, I like to stay under 50 personally.

Temp 2 is way up there. You might want to check your chipset fan to see if it is working. But your chipset could be temp 3 also.

2 of the other unkown temps are for your video card. Probably local and remote. The hotter one is the core.

You hard drives seem to be running pretty hot. About 10 degrees hotter than mine.

When you figure out what is what you can rename everything in the configure dialog by triple clicking the name.

iSkylla said:
60C for your CPU AND 127C for your motherboard is most likely wrong. It showed that temp for my cousins motherboard, try a different program like MBM5 or SmartGuardian (what I use)

It's not right..... If it was working correctly it would show what each is and not just fan 1 and so on.

Well, the case came with a side fan and a rear fan- I wnna say each one was 80mm.

No front fans.

I just got back from the store and installed a 120mm front intake fan and 120mm rear exhaust fan, in addition to the side (80mm) intake fan.

As far as the "chipset fan", you're talking about the cpu fan, right?

That is working.

would the fact that I put the temperature probe in between the cpu and the heatsink be a problem?

chipset fan as in whats cooling your southbridge....is it passive or with a HSF ?

Rishy said:
chipset fan as in whats cooling your southbridge....is it passive or with a HSF ?

Hmmm.. I don't really know. :shame:

Not really sure where the Southbridge even is :more shame:

since I don't know, I looked everything over, and don't see any additional fans - besides the main CPU fan..

Am I correct in assuming that this is the Southbridge heatsink?
61839406-L.jpg

geckoman said:
would the fact that I put the temperature probe in between the cpu and the heatsink be a problem?

Yes, your heatsink should be making full contact with your cpu, the sensor is going to leave a gap and reduce the transfer area of heat off your CPU

Did you apply the thermal paste right? What kind did you use?

Did you reapply thermal paste when you removed the heat sink

Are you using retail heat sink or a new one ?

thats it. better cable management will help your temps drop and also are there any bios temperature issues associated with your particular mobo? something that a bios update would fix.

o0akoni0o said:
thats it. better cable management will help your temps drop
yea. I have seven fans in my case, and the zalman9500 makes eight. Full screened rthdribl went up to 43C after an hour with stock speeds and shoddy cable mgt. After redirecting my cables with airflow in mind, it went down 1-2 degrees.

Edit: I would bet that 120 degree measurement is your GPU

OK,.. another rookie cooling question.. should there be positive or negative air pressure inside the case?

I have a 120mm intake on the front, an 80mm intake on the side, an 80mm intake on the PS, and a 120mm exhaust on the rear.. so I'm guessing I have positive air pressure inside the case.. should I have more exhaust fans? I could reverse my side fan so that it's an exhaust instead of intake ... ?

OK.. I just took the cpu heatsink/fan off.. cleaned off the old thermal goop (off both the cpu and the heatsink), and took the temperature probe out of there... applied new thermal paste (Dynex Silver Thermal Compound). I put everything back together, and MBM5 is showing my CPU temp at 94 C (it fluctuates between 88-109)

I'm running Nvidia NvPerformance right now, and it's showing my CPU at 127 C ...

Save yourself the headache and check your temps in bios. It's onvious that speedfan isnt reading your temps properly. What is the make of your MB.

lower your vcore to 1.35V while your are at it. unless you are overclocked.

Yikes.. I hope those aren't the true temperatures.. Like it was previously mentioned, check your BIOS for the temps and compare them. Cable management is a good suggestion.. I don't have too many wires around my motherboard and I have ALOT of fans working inside my case.. (5) Antec 80mm fans pointed directly on my 2 video cards, (1) Zalman 120mm CPU Fan, (1) Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm intake fan and (1) Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm exit fan.

ComputerBling08.jpg

touch the heat sink with your finger as close to the base of the heat sink as you can - if you can keep your finger on it for 10 seconds + then it is below 60C iwould say - of course de[ends on your tolerance for pain / heat.

Did you apply thermale paste correctly? if you use more then a rice sized drop you actually end up insulting your CPU instead of conducting heat away from it.

MrGuvernment said:
touch the heat sink with your finger as close to the base of the heat sink as you can - if you can keep your finger on it for 10 seconds + then it is below 60C iwould say - of course de[ends on your tolerance for pain / heat.

Did you apply thermale paste correctly? if you use more then a rice sized drop you actually end up insulting your CPU instead of conducting heat away from it.

Oh wow! I did use waaaay more than a rice sized drop ... guess I need to pull the heatsink off again and clean it up and reapply. I probably put about 4 pieces of rice worth on there... instructions that came with the paste didn't say how much to use... :(

geckoman said:
No - very quiet, why?

Just wondering...i probably wouldn't be so self concious about my own computer's temps if it wasn't so loud even with a controller(realistically moderatly loud but it still can be a nuisance) but I figure.hey I'm not getting a new quiet fan any time soon...letme worry about temps for now!

but yea, read your temps directly from bios to see whats going on, probably faulty readings or bad temp sensors

cable management would help and give you nice feellings inside, but nothing drastic in regards to temps

with the thermale paste you want to use as thin a layer as possible - for some it is putting on about a rice sized drop of paste and putting on the heat sink.

For me, i put on about a rize sized drop and then use a credit card or thin firm object to spread out the paste over the CPU.

geckoman said:
OK,.. another rookie cooling question.. should there be positive or negative air pressure inside the case?

I have a 120mm intake on the front, an 80mm intake on the side, an 80mm intake on the PS, and a 120mm exhaust on the rear.. so I'm guessing I have positive air pressure inside the case.. should I have more exhaust fans? I could reverse my side fan so that it's an exhaust instead of intake ... ?

You should have neutral air pressure. Cold air goes in, and an equal amount of air goes out.

Yeah well his socket 754 cpu probably runs at 1.5v, and at load for me, that is about 55C when using prime95. I can see it bordering 60c on a stock cooler

The thing is, even with mess cables and bad air flow, you should still not be seeing those temps.

The computer with just the minimum amount of fans and heatsinks (VGA, CPU, PSU, Nothbridge) you still shouldnt be getting those temps. Base your true temps by the BIOS readings and make sure you are applying thermal paste correctly.

Clean it with rubbing alcohol 91% is probably the highest you'll find locally (recommended 99%). Apply a small amount to the cpu and than spread out with a clean credit card. The layer should be very thin, it will be spread out further once that tight HSF is on it so just think about it.

geckoman said:
Hmmm.. I don't really know. :shame:

Not really sure where the Southbridge even is :more shame:

since I don't know, I looked everything over, and don't see any additional fans - besides the main CPU fan..

Am I correct in assuming that this is the Southbridge heatsink?

Side note here.

Quick, cheap, and easy way to clean up your wiring, twist the wire bundles, get a bag of wire ties and wire tie holders from radio shack, shouldnt cost more than $5, even just twisting the wire bundles coming out of the power supply can make quite a differance. Example pics below.

before cable cleanup
http://s141457785.onlinehome.us/images/scoop/scoop_1.jpg

after cable twisting and wire tying
http://s141457785.onlinehome.us/images/scoop/scoop_2.jpg

Only real trick to is to heat the wire bundle up a little after you twist it, then hold it in place for a few seconds till it cools back down, I usually use a lighter, but a heat gun or hot hair dryer will do the trick too. Heating the wires relaxes the strain on plastic sheath from the twisting, once it cools a bit it will retain it's twisted condition fairly well. :cool:

Back