Finally got the speeds I wanted

Harrath

Limp Gawd
When I bought my computer, it was of course my intention to overclock all along. So you can expect my disappointment when my chip wasn't entirely stable at 2.0 GHz (It's a Winchester 3000+). I chalked it up to bad luck and went along my happy way.

But then I thought about how the board I was using (ePox 9NDA3+) used a seperate controller for the 3 & 4th SATA ports; I had my WD Raptor on the 3rd port. This puzzled me, as the board has a working AGP/PCI lock, so that SATA controller couldn't be the source of my instability at overclocked speeds.

But then I read that indeed, some boards have an issue that their auxilliary SATA controllers are not affected by the PCI lock, only the ones controlled by the Southbridge were. So I figured I'd just plug that harddrive into SATA1 or 2, which are run off of the Southbridge. Needless to say my dissappointment: They are located so elegantly between the AGP port and the first PCI slot. Basically, my video card blocked any cable that tried to go in there.

...Until now.

I ended up breaking the plastic handle thing on the end of an SATA connector, folded the actual connector down, and managed to squeeze it in there. Any luck?

overclock.PNG

overclock2.PNG

I should think so!

Needsless to say I'm quite pleased with my $184 Athlon 64 3800+ :)

Congrats on solving the puzzle! :)

I'm going through the same thing (see the 3000+ Venice overclocking healp thread in this same forum for pages and pages and PAGES of more details) and I eagerly await the day I can post back with a triumphant "I Beat The Machine!" so to speak.

Other than playing FarCry, no I haven't stability tested it. I'll be looping Prime95 overnight.

I'm still tweaking the RAM a bit, I know I can get better timings than that. By the way for those who are curious my RAM is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220006

The RAM surprised me alot, I wasn't expecting it to go very far for what I paid for it. A good deal if you need a gig.

Harrath said:
Other than playing FarCry, no I haven't stability tested it. I'll be looping Prime95 overnight.

I'm still tweaking the RAM a bit, I know I can get better timings than that. By the way for those who are curious my RAM is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220006

The RAM surprised me alot, I wasn't expecting it to go very far for what I paid for it. A good deal if you need a gig.

Can you not push it a bit harder than CAS 3?! Maybe volt it up a bit if need be?

That's not too surprising...those latencies are terrible. Have you tried CAS2.5, or does it just refuse to budge? Even nudging it up to 2.5-5-5-5 would increase game performance a good bit.

Really shitty placerment isnt it, a characteristic of epox boards unfortunately, you can however get rigth angle sata cables that work just fine, shame they dont come with some though.

Ok, got it down to 2.5-5-5-5, running tests now. Overall there is a very noticeable improvement in framerates, I'm quite happy.

It really is a shame about the placement of the connectors. Otherwise I think the placement on this board is quite good (ample room around the CPU, IDE/power connectors in good places, video card doesn't block the DIMMs).

Back