Finishing off my Previous build now that I have the money.

Sathsayin

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Everything from burning media to gameing,photoshop,surfing the web, media surfing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
yes but only have 200 for now aside from the psu first.. what else do I need to buy now.
3) Where do you live?
Louisiana
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Power supply
Computer case
Gpu
Highend Sound card
SSD
Raidcard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
LG L227wtgpf 22 inch 1680 x 1050
Logitech X230 speakers
Two Samsung Cd burners, (sh22L sh22f)
Core 2 Quad q9550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041&cm_re=q9550-_-19-115-041-_-Product
Xigmatek Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3029&cm_re=dark_knight-_-35-233-029-_-Product
Asus p5p43td/USB3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131639&Tpk=p5p43td/usb3
Gskill ddr 3 1.5v 1600 mhz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
WD cavier blue 640gb aaks.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Eventually I SEE no need to as of now becasue A my Harddrive and Gpu is bottlenecking the proccesor.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
L227wtgpf 22inch
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?\
When the wife gives the go
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Currently have board. need to add Raid sata 6.0 gb card eventualy
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Windows 64 bit Ultimate/Ubuntu/Mint.

I have a Antec 380 pushing this stuff as i have been the last 2 years. I need something that will power me in my next build if possible in 2 years... say at least a 750 watt.. I was looking at the corsair 750tx cuz tat was "THE" psu during the reign of 775 from what I could tell...Also I would like to ether raid 4 sata drives in the future are two SSD's when the price comes down to 25 cents a gig are so. I would rather have speed over storage as I only need about 1 tb total that would be all.

I also have some Definitive Promedia 100 speakers that blow away the logitech x230's... I would particulerly like to get an amp are a small cheap reciver and get a 12 inch sub and a custom MDF box for my 2.1 setup.. I would also like the Best 2.1 Surround Sound card for Music and Movies. 192khz any diffrent from 96khz as far as taht goes?

Also I have the q9550 that xigmatek a p43 chipset... and some ddr3 for a reason. I was wondering... IM not sure about the overclocking part but need some more info for later as for now I WILL NOT be ocing on that 380 watt. It is however held strong from mid 2008 pushing 5 case fans 2 dvd burners a hardrive 8800gt. q9550 and a microatx and 4gb of ram since then....

I even took the psu apart and looked at the caps... no bulding and the rails are still strong... I got a jewel but need to retire it in an htpc are soemthing to die in.
Thx guys.

Last edited:
Next time, please don't use dark red for writing. It's very hard to read agaist the grey background. I can't read whatever you wrote there.

Also, this whole line doesn't make any sense:
Also I would like to ether raid 4 sata drives in the future are two SSD's when the price comes down to 25 cents a gig are so. I would rather have speed over storage as I need about 1 tb total that would be all.

That's bad grammar and bad punctuation. Can you please rewrite that sentence or break it up so that's it understandable? Assuming that you're talking about a RAID array, which form of RAID? RAID 0? RAID 1? RAID 5? RAID 6?

Also you did not list a budget at all. How the hell can we help you if there's no budget mentioned? In addition, we need you to narrow down to whether or not your wife can give the go this month. If not, any recommendations we make today will probably not be the same recommendations we make next month.

what are you the spelling nazi. I have spelling memory problems as i had a BRAIN TUMOR and didn't get to finsh school. I listed the budget as 200 dollars 3 mins afterwords with an edit.. you had missed it by a couple of seconds. I figured 4 harddrives in raid... or 2 ssd's when they hit 25cents a gig and i need speed over storage.... screamed raid 0. I said i needed a psu out of the two hundered... I mean but didn't emphasize that what could i buy afterwords with the other left over out of the 200 dollars. What reccomendations can you make today with that? edited this to not soudn like an ass

Last edited:
If you don't mind going down to 650w, the 650tx is 30 dollars cheaper (70 after MIR). This should be able to power everything in your system, while leaving you 130 of your budget. That should be enough for an SSD, GPU, or a nice case, but definitely not enough for everything. A good raid card alone is likely more than your budget, even used.

If you don't mind going down to 650w, the 650tx is 30 dollars cheaper (70 after MIR). This should be able to power everything in your system, while leaving you 130 of your budget. That should be enough for an SSD, GPU, or a nice case, but definitely not enough for everything. A good raid card alone is likely more than your budget, even used.

how much more could i expand with that psu could it handle an additional 4 hardrives in raid. I thought i had seen some cheap pcie x1 raid cards for liek 40-50 bucks are soemthing mustive been just a plain old sata adapter. Whats a better case then the antec 300. I like it but my daughter knocked it over and bent the side .... so im gonna use it with something else. whats a good case reccomendation thats solid liek this one. I was thinking the cooler master haf serious.

Most cheap raid cards are fakeraid cards. If you're going to do that, I'd say that you'd probably be better off using softraid options in windows/linux since they don't depend on the particular card/adapter. True hardware raid cards are far more expensive.
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but my computer is running 3 hdds atm, soon to be 4 and I run folding on my gpu/cpu at 100 and my 650w doesn't seem to have any problems with it. Someone else can probably answer this question better than I can, but I assume 650 will be fine.
Case: I have no real preferences. This one is up to you. My friend has a HAF case, and he seems to like it, but I think it's pretty big.

what are you the spelling nazi. I have spelling memory problems as i had a BRAIN TUMOR and didn't get to finsh school.
Sorry about the circumstances of your life but no need to call me a bloddy nazi just because I asked for clarification as to what you were saying.
I listed the budget as 200 dollars 3 mins afterwords with an edit.. you had missed it by a couple of seconds. I figured 4 harddrives in raid... or 2 ssd's when they hit 25cents a gig and i need speed over storage.... screamed raid 0.
4 hard drives in what RAID? RAID 0? RAID 1? RAID 5? Those different RAID types have different hardware requirements.
I said i needed a psu out of the two hundered... I mean but didn't emphasize that what could i buy afterwords with the other left over out of the 200 dollars. What reccomendations can you make today with that?
Besides the PSU, go for a new case. That leftover $110 (assuming that you go with the 650TX) will not be enough for a decent RAID card, GPU, sound card, or sizable SSD.
how much more could i expand with that psu could it handle an additional 4 hardrives in raid.
The Corsair 650TX can handle just about any single GPU out there plus an OC'd Q9550 + 6 hard drives.
I thought i had seen some cheap pcie x1 raid cards for liek 40-50 bucks are soemthing mustive been just a plain old sata adapter.
Those are crap for RAID 5 and such. For hard drive RAID 0 or 1, those cards are ok but make sure that it's a reputable manufacturer like Areca, Highpoint, 3Ware, LSI, etc. For SSD RAID 0, basically, you're looking at $200 cards or so.

Whats a better case then the antec 300. I like it but my daughter knocked it over and bent the side .... so im gonna use it with something else. whats a good case reccomendation thats solid liek this one. I was thinking the cooler master haf serious.
I recommend the following cases:
$55 - NZXT M59 ATX Case
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$105 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver ATX Case (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case

Also I would not recommend OS based RAID at all if you're using Windows due to the slow performance of RAID arrays created in the Windows OS. However Linux OS RAID is fine.

thanks for the info. One more question.. I have a tempeture sensor that goes down wem cpu is under load with every appllication. It has prompted me to get an infrared thermal gun to aim at the hcips on my board to find out what is going on. Do you think it is a voltage regulator. it says 80c ... but when my cpu maxes out it goes to 50c... could it vdrop make the tempeture go down.

What could be casueing it then? just curious cuz i don't want it to screw up something if it is something really messing up
/

Strap a fan on the north bridge and see what happens.

Well I don't have a small enough fan to cool just the northbridge. but I have 5 case fans and I opened up the side panel and the heatsink is cool to the touch. I then got a 12 inch portable fan and aimed it at the motherboard.... the cpu temp droped like 1 degree and the system temp dropeed like 3 but that was it. the AUX is 80 at idle and 50 at load.. which makes no damn since to me. I understand you wanted me to isolate and cool the northbridge to see if it dropped but thats all I can do as of now. Is it something I should worry about. Surely it's just a flawed sensor. IVe uesd everest motherboard monitor and speed fan and it's all the same temp 80 idle.. 50 at load.

what are you the spelling nazi. I have spelling memory problems as i had a BRAIN TUMOR and didn't get to finsh school.

for someone like danny to offer his services to you for free you should be alittle more respectful.

for someone like danny to offer his services to you for free you should be alittle more respectful.

So I screwed up posting the budget which i went back to within 3 minutes and changed. He had checked it so fast that it was in between the time I had posted it. Kudos for responding so fast I understand he frequents this form all the time and I appreciate it. So therefore it was a misunderstanding. he then asked how the hell was he supposed to make reccomendations. Which was a complete misunderstanding on both our ends. He assumed I had just left it blank and I had just fixed it. I understand how screwed up that is

Then he threw in my punctuation and grammer! I was asking if he was the spelling nazi as a joke as I figured this was a Computer Board. I then through in that I had a BRAIN TUMER as I do and it is the reason I cant think congitavely. I have to take my time to think about what im writeing and make sure it was spelled the best I knew how. sometimes I get words mixed up and confused and ive had alot of memory problems as well. I do understand that capitalizing the letters and making sure that senteneces made since is good but I didn't mean to. I was just telling why. I guess since I had typed out BRAIN TUMER in big letters it made the whole thing make me sound like an ass but it wasn't my intentions. I just wasn't expecting to be critiqued on exactly everything. So sorry for being disrespectful if it came over that way. I do apprecieate his help. Im not gonna use the budget of 200 to buy everything just wanted to clear that up. I just have 200 to buy a psu and whatever you reccomend next with the money.

well it looks like newegg has the 750 for 83 after promo code and mir for today.

Back