Finishing touches on a new build

trxjw

Limp Gawd
Looking for some feedback on a few final pieces of a new Sandy build. I have a few components already, so my budget is only for the final pieces.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Aside from the normal daily web browsing; Gaming, Web Development and Photoshop/Fireworks/Illustrator for the most part -- nothing hi-res.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
About $700 for the remaining parts.
3) Where do you live?
Pittsburgh, PA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, OS, PSU, Heatsink
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Already have:
MSI 6950 2GB (will be unlocked to 6970)
GSkill 120GB SSD
GSkill Ripjaws 1333 4GB x 2
Samsung F3 1TB
DVD-RW Drive
Silverstone TJ09 Case
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24" 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately. I'll be in Cleveland this weekend, so Microcenter is on the agenda for a 2500k.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Firewire (still somewhat rampant in the design community), CrossFire support for expansion later on.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No. I'll be picking up a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. (Actually two, but I have a separate budget for converting my current C2D rig into a HTPC)

These are the parts I've picked out to finish the build:
$179.99 - Core i5 2500K LGA 1155
$124.99 - MSI P67A-GD45
$27.99 - CM Hyper 212 Heatsink
$149.99 - Corsair HX750 PSU - Probably overkill for what I have on tap, but I'm not sure I could get away with a 650 if I added another 6950 down the line.
$85.99 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
$49.99 - Another 8GB of the same ram
Total: $665.94

Thoughts? Looking for a second (and third, fourth, etc) opinion, and any "Hey, dumbass. You forgot <this part>!"

Last edited:
You can save some money going with this CPU + Motherboard combo deal from Newegg.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
1x MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s ...
- $324.98

I would probably go with a different RAM setup because those heat spreaders might interfere with the heatsink/fan. I recommend this ram.

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT - $44.99

We can also save some money going with this PSU.

Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W - $145.98

Although I wouldn't jump on my suggestions until at the very least, Danny posts his thoughts.

Unforunately, at $145, that Antec PSU is not that good of a buy. The OP should stick with his original Corsair choice.

However the rest of Skillz's recommendations are solid. Though the OP's choice of G.Skill RAM should still work.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll grab that mobo instead. For some reason I thought the 65 was the only one with Firewire support. Looks like if I buy the mobo on Newegg and the 2500k at Microcenter, I'll save some money; even with the combo pricing.

Much appreciated. :)

I would probably go with a different RAM setup because those heat spreaders might interfere with the heatsink/fan. I recommend this ram.

The setup works. I have the G Skill ram, same heatsink/fan, MSI P67A-GD55...The fan just sits up a little higher.

The only thing is that the fan that comes with the cooler is pretty loud but moves a lot of air. I had to change it to some quiet fans. I don't overclock. I added a second one to the other side.

I already had these fans on hand luckily.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=121

Appreciate all the feedback. Ordered everything last night, sans the 2500k that I'll be picking up on Saturday.

wow...very identical to mine. it all fit together like a glove. I've had no issues with it.

Put it all together last night and it fired right up without issue. Only problems I ran into were that the Hyper 212+ was too high for the mobo tray to slide back into the case. I had to remove the brace on that corner (thank god it was screwed in and not riveted) and it cleared it. It sits close to the side of the case, but there's about 3/4" of clearance.

Also finally had to retire my floppy drive from my old machine due to the lack of an IDE port on the mobo, but the 3.5" bay made a nice spot for my SSD. :p

Back