Firefox 4 is Officially Released

You could open an Explorer window and type the same address into the address box I suppose... works pretty much the same way since Explorer = Internet Explorer in that respect.

thought I'd give it another try .. but stutters too much .. running F@H gpu seems to cause this .. although Chrome runs just fine with F@H.

What iOS has is just folders for app shortcuts (which, for what it's worth, iOS copied from Android - they both do the same thing and have the same features and behave in the same way).
No, they don't.

google chrome really is faster. This post prompted me to give it a serious try for the first time. Found an extension to give me back the bookmarks pulldown menu, disable adds, and add x-marks... good to go for now, will give it a fair chance. It's so much faster.

My Back and Forward buttons on my mouse work randomly now.

I go onto Wikipedia and open up a page, click on a picture and can't go back to the article.

Fun.. :mad:

back to firefox for now. After trying to change my cache directory to my ramdrive, I found out that google caches webdata to all sorts of random places. Until they fix some of these privacy related issue and simply things I'll stick with firefox. I want my cached files on the ramdrive so they aren't chewing up the solid state drive. Period.

My address bar doesn't do "I'm feeling lucky" anymore when I type in a popular string and press enter. Can I enable it somewhere?

Spent some more time with firefox since a friend said i was being too hard on it without actually using it soooooooo i have a few more observations.

Started it up from a cold start after a reboot and it took 6 whole seconds to start... ON AN SSD...

Loading a web page is fast once it starts actually loading it, unfortunately i get this half a second delay before it even starts with the circle spinning backwards on cached sites on new sites the delay can be as much as 3 seconds.

Search box is 100% redundant since the address bar does exactly the same thing.

WTF is the home button doing all the way over there? Trying to make the UI look less ripped off from opera or something?

How about the little menu above the home button? That practically invisible tiny arrow that gives no indication wtf it even is.

It took them way too long to release it and when they did it comes out feeling like a beta.

Spent some more time with firefox since a friend said i was being too hard on it without actually using it soooooooo i have a few more observations.

Started it up from a cold start after a reboot and it took 6 whole seconds to start... ON AN SSD...

Loading a web page is fast once it starts actually loading it, unfortunately i get this half a second delay before it even starts with the circle spinning backwards on cached sites on new sites the delay can be as much as 3 seconds.

Search box is 100% redundant since the address bar does exactly the same thing.

WTF is the home button doing all the way over there? Trying to make the UI look less ripped off from opera or something?

How about the little menu above the home button? That practically invisible tiny arrow that gives no indication wtf it even is.

It took them way too long to release it and when they did it comes out feeling like a beta.

A few things. I have a 4 second delay on a cold boot if other things are loading and i'm not on an SSD, it's on a nearly empty 2 TB Samsung.. with other things loading. Secondly, why do you put your browser on your SSD? If you have another option, use it.. otherwise your just burning up the SSD's read/write limits with cache files and cookies. It takes 2 seconds to load a brand new page on mine so my assumption now is that your connection sucks or you have issues somewhere in the comp itself.

Oh ya, the UI is customizable and pretty easy to do so. Buttons (like the home button) are really easy to move around. I think i rearranged mine in like 5 minutes to exactly what I wanted. So if you skipped that section on the tutorial or don't like using right click and going to customize and then dragging whatever you want wherever you want, then FF is not for you.

The fonts / text look TERRIBLE on Firefox4 just like IE9... the fact that it is no longer using windows default font engine is ludicrous! The text is TERRIBLE on IE9 and Firefox4, it looks like IE 1.0.

It is a result of the hardware acceleration, why would they of ever let this pass muster. I have always preferred firefox due to the excellent suite of development tools on it, but Chrome has just became my official browser of choice, the hardware acceleration literally ruining text rendering is simply unacceptable. Sure you can fix it by turning hardware acceleration off, but why bother when other browsers such as chrome look great and have acceleration.

I've installed IE 9 on 10 different machines, fonts look fine on all machines, both with and without GPU acceleration. With FF 4 on the two machines I've installed it on this far that are GPU accelerated that fonts are kind of fuzzy..

If you want your fonts to look crisp and clear again, this worked for me:

• browse to about:config in Firefox
  • enter gfx.direct2d.disabled into the filter
  • double-click it to make it true

restart Firefox and voila! your fonts look normal again.

And no one is doing that for IE9? :confused:

Your kidding right? I highly doubt there are very many people downloading IE9 to help MS boost their download count.
Your also forgetting that a huge percentage of IE users are businesses and they wont be updating any time soon ;).

As i said before Mozilla's ever so popular D/L count is really invalid just by the comments posted in my last link, users on this very site. While I do do love FF I also prefer to be realistic here and see things how they really are and that is that the D/L count is not a sign of it's popularity because user fans D/L it more times than needed just to boost the count to help Mozilla gain fame. Also as someone else said, IE9 isn't even on Windows update yet.

Turned the menu into a button...hmmm, why does that seem so familiar? Oh! I've got it... they were "inspired" by Opera! (...great artists steal and all that) :rolleyes:

Opera gets kicked around a lot, but they've often had innovative ideas before others.

As it was pointed out when this was news last summer that idea came from the Office 2007 ribbon. No one cares who was first, they care about who's implementation is the best and obviously to most other people their choice is another browser.

Now, as far as text quality issues using 3d acceleration, make sure you have done the following first.

1. Make sure AA/MLAA is not forced in your video card properties, or at least put in an exception for firefox.

2. Update your video card drivers, especially if you are running Intel graphics.

3. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2454826 Install this directwrite update for windows 7. If you have already installed IE9 or SP1 you already have this update.

The thing that bothers me is the stupid GUI where the buttons are all over the place. Whatever happened to all the buttons at the left hand side of the screen? And why is every browser trying to copy Microsoft's Internet Explorer GUI anyway? Bad idea...

The thing that bothers me is the stupid GUI where the buttons are all over the place. Whatever happened to all the buttons at the left hand side of the screen? And why is every browser trying to copy Microsoft's Internet Explorer GUI anyway? Bad idea...

Well, I understand that you mean by default. However, that said, you can move the buttons anywhwere you want, even all to the left.

Using Firefox 4 now replacing 3.6 I've been using for awhile. It's pretty quick indeed - compared to 3.x anyways. Sharepoint 2010 is a little choppy when scrolling though, but that's ok, Sharepoint 2010 is optimized for IE anyways and is especially smooth on IE9.

I like it, don't use IE or Chrome (mainly because Chrome doesn't work with most of the applications in the office), I don't care how fast the other two bring up web pages, I still have add blocking and noscript.

A few things. I have a 4 second delay on a cold boot if other things are loading and i'm not on an SSD, it's on a nearly empty 2 TB Samsung.. with other things loading. Secondly, why do you put your browser on your SSD? If you have another option, use it.. otherwise your just burning up the SSD's read/write limits with cache files and cookies. It takes 2 seconds to load a brand new page on mine so my assumption now is that your connection sucks or you have issues somewhere in the comp itself.

Oh ya, the UI is customizable and pretty easy to do so. Buttons (like the home button) are really easy to move around. I think i rearranged mine in like 5 minutes to exactly what I wanted. So if you skipped that section on the tutorial or don't like using right click and going to customize and then dragging whatever you want wherever you want, then FF is not for you.

Can't blame my connection when chrome and opera don't have these problems. Its fine on an ssd unless its writing 50 gigs a day its not going to hurt anything. I would customize it if I intended to keep it. I can't think of a single reason to use this over chrome or opera. Unless there's some addon you can't live without both are better than Firefox these days.

Cold start on a sub par system with 3gb ram and athlonx2 215 and 500gb hdd it takes 4 seconds to full load page. Using a crappy GT430 Video card the GPU accelerated text looks fine no errors at all.

While fast, it just doesn't feel as polished as previous versions of Firefox imo.

I'm disappointed

Hmm, after a couple of days of intense usage, while I appreciate the customization, it is not without glitches:
- The New Tab "+" button will randomly disappear from the Tabs bar, happened 3 times already. Solved by re-adding the button in Customize.
- The cursor randomly displays an empty tooltip below the arrow, happened twice. Solved by closing and restarting Firefox.
- The Customize dialog box will not close properly, it closes, but the Customize context menu option is grayed out and unavailable anymore, happened twice, both when adding a single button. Solved by closing and restarting Firefox.
- The Navigation toolbar will randomly go totally blank, happened twice, no idea what causes this. Solved by re-customizing and dragging all buttons/elements back to where they were.

I like how the App tab displays small shortcut icons instead of whole tabs, but I don't like that all these shortcuts open automatically as full tabs in addition of the App tab icons when Firefox starts again. It kind of invalidates the whole space saving idea, and it is also confusing because my Firefox is set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" and I had closed all the normal tabs before closing Firefox, so I don't expect these tabs from the App tab from appearing unless I manually click on the App tab icon. Not sure if there is a way to keep the App tab but prevent them from displaying at startup.

I have disabled hardware acceleration, all add-ons and the Google toolbar, I'll see how it goes in the future, but I don't see how these features would cause so many problems in the toolbars.

Your kidding right? I highly doubt there are very many people downloading IE9 to help MS boost their download count.
Your also forgetting that a huge percentage of IE users are businesses and they wont be updating any time soon ;).

As i said before Mozilla's ever so popular D/L count is really invalid just by the comments posted in my last link, users on this very site. While I do do love FF I also prefer to be realistic here and see things how they really are and that is that the D/L count is not a sign of it's popularity because user fans D/L it more times than needed just to boost the count to help Mozilla gain fame. Also as someone else said, IE9 isn't even on Windows update yet.
No offense, but your points don't make sense. How can you say you know the behavior of all FF and IE users? Also, 1 user comment here about how he wants to allegedly inflate the download count doesn't mean all FF users are. And that's MS' fault if they didn't put IE9 on Windows Update.

Anyway, I still stand by my comment that a browser (FF) that is still far trailing the leader (IE) is very impressive when the underdog more than doubles the downloads of the popular one. After 1 week, who knows what the download count will be. And after 1 month, and so on. But for the first 24 hours, pretty damn impressive, considering Mozilla didn't even promote it like they did Download Day 3 years ago.

No offense, but your points don't make sense. How can you say you know the behavior of all FF and IE users? Also, 1 user comment here about how he wants to allegedly inflate the download count doesn't mean all FF users are. And that's MS' fault if they didn't put IE9 on Windows Update.

Anyway, I still stand by my comment that a browser (FF) that is still far trailing the leader (IE) is very impressive when the underdog more than doubles the downloads of the popular one. After 1 week, who knows what the download count will be. And after 1 month, and so on. But for the first 24 hours, pretty damn impressive, considering Mozilla didn't even promote it like they did Download Day 3 years ago.

Its not impressive when its a staged event and they count ANY download. Its not impressive when one caters to 2 platforms and the other caters to several.

Find something showing firefox downloads on just Vista and 7 and you can talk about impressive. As it is now its a fucking no brainer that a browser released for xp, Vista, 7, linux and OSX would get more downloads than one specifically for Vista and 7.

Has anyone been having this issue: Cursor keeps disappearing when it isn't moving.

Here's a (rather crappy) video of it showing the issue in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ssGcgXCrU

Video was created with FRAPS and Windows Live Movie Maker (didn't have time to use virtualdub).

But, as you can see, it just blinks on and off. This is with and without hardware acceleration enabled.

Current Catalyst driver I have is 11.2. Problem is still present in 11.1 and 11.1a.

But, seeing that I did not have this issue in Firefox 4 beta pre 12 and earlier with Catalyst 11.x drivers, tells me it's not the drivers.

I looked for update via my browser and it went from 3.6.15 to 3.6.16. I'll stay there for a little while before making the big upgrade to 4.x. I need to verify that my addons will work w/ the new version.

Its not impressive when its a staged event and they count ANY download. Its not impressive when one caters to 2 platforms and the other caters to several.

Find something showing firefox downloads on just Vista and 7 and you can talk about impressive. As it is now its a fucking no brainer that a browser released for xp, Vista, 7, linux and OSX would get more downloads than one specifically for Vista and 7.
Like I said before, be pissed at MS for not support XP in terms of IE9. Mozilla didn't stage anything. Maybe for FF3 3 years ago ("D Day"), but not this time around.

Like I said before, be pissed at MS for not support XP in terms of IE9. Mozilla didn't stage anything. Maybe for FF3 3 years ago ("D Day"), but not this time around.

Pissed at who? I could give 2 shits what its released for just pointing out what i thought was the obvious fact that 5 million for every available platform is not very impressive compared to 2.5 million on 2 platforms.

Its a staged event. Firefox advertised it and asked people to download it on release day. They did the exact same thing they did with the firefox 3 release.

Can we just agree that everyone does it? Chrome would do it if they didn't add a new version number for every minor improvement they can think of. I don't see a problem with doing fanfare about it until they start releasing updates every quarter similar to Chrome's model.

Pissed at who? I could give 2 shits what its released for just pointing out what i thought was the obvious fact that 5 million for every available platform is not very impressive compared to 2.5 million on 2 platforms.

Its a staged event. Firefox advertised it and asked people to download it on release day. They did the exact same thing they did with the firefox 3 release.
It's pretty obvious you're pissed when you're throwing the f-bomb around.

Show me where Mozilla launched FF4 with "Download Day" and Guinness record aspirations like they did 3 years ago. It's fine if you're a Mozilla/FF hater and/or a Microsoft/IE fanboy. But don't flaunt your opinions as facts.

It's pretty obvious you're pissed when you're throwing the f-bomb around.

Show me where Mozilla launched FF4 with "Download Day" and Guinness record aspirations like they did 3 years ago. It's fine if you're a Mozilla/FF hater and/or a Microsoft/IE fanboy. But don't flaunt your opinions as facts.

My opinions as facts?

HAHA IE fanboy give me a fucking break guy. :rolleyes:

They may not have made the same effort as the last version but dont act like they where not trying to drum up day one downloads. :rolleyes:

Internet Explorer is a sack of shit. If you're stupid enough to use IE or any of the 'IE shells', you deserve all the worst shitware and spyware your comp can possibly be infected with. Just do everyone a favor and yank out your router. Don't even use the net with that low of an IQ. Just stick to basic programs and console-only gaming instead. :p

Businesses are even switching to Firefox. My college even has Firefox alongside IE in the quick-task bar. Handy now that I don't have to carry a portable version everywhere now.

Internet Explorer is a sack of shit. If you're stupid enough to use IE or any of the 'IE shells', you deserve all the worst shitware and spyware your comp can possibly be infected with. Just do everyone a favor and yank out your router. Don't even use the net with that low of an IQ. Just stick to basic programs and console-only gaming instead. :p

Businesses are even switching to Firefox. My college even has Firefox alongside IE in the quick-task bar. Handy now that I don't have to carry a portable version everywhere now.

LOL! I remember when this site got hacked a few months ago, I was using IE 9 Beta at the time, IE 9 spotted immediately and better than either FF or Chrome. IE has changed significantly over the years, much more so than your outdated hyperbole.

Why is it that every time someone says something negative about firefox halfwits assume the person uses IE? Because there are no other browsers right. :rolleyes:

FF 4 cause me to get the 99% GPU Usage Bug (google it) on my AMD 5870, so I had to back to 3.6. I'll have to wait till AMD or Mozilla sort this out.

FF 4 cause me to get the 99% GPU Usage Bug (google it) on my AMD 5870, so I had to back to 3.6. I'll have to wait till AMD or Mozilla sort this out.

Doesn't disabling hardware acceleration under Options -> Advanced help??

I do web development and I'm running FF4 fine on an old notebook with an Intel dual-core 1.6 GHz cpu and GMA945 graphics which don't support hardware acceleration in WebGL afaik. FF4 is running great in fact! A bit slower than Chrome 10 but will do for me. I use some plugins that aren't available in Chrome and as far as i can tell this browser is worth the upgrade.

Doesn't disabling hardware acceleration under Options -> Advanced help??

I do web development and I'm running FF4 fine on an old notebook with an Intel dual-core 1.6 GHz cpu and GMA945 graphics which don't support hardware acceleration in WebGL afaik. FF4 is running great in fact! A bit slower than Chrome 10 but will do for me. I use some plugins that aren't available in Chrome and as far as i can tell this browser is worth the upgrade.

No, just disabling hardware acceleration didn't work....and I too enjoy FF plugins, etc. And I agree, I'm loving FF 4 on my netbook........seems more responsive on the slow Atom processor, I guess cause it's using the gpu too.

My opinions as facts?

HAHA IE fanboy give me a fucking break guy. :rolleyes:

They may not have made the same effort as the last version but dont act like they where not trying to drum up day one downloads. :rolleyes:
As I suspected, you have not provided any evidence to back up your opinions. You're just another troll. ;)

Back