FireFox Making Hard Drive Tick?

Lt.Doomsday

Limp Gawd
i don't get it either.

whenever i scroll either the sidebar were my bookmarks are or a website,i can hear my HD ticking.The HD is a Western Digital 160gig

playing a game,browsing with Opera{which is on the same HD as FireFox},buring data to a CD it doesn't make a ticking noise at all.

i checked for errors and nothing came out,so i'm out of idea's but just in case i'm backing up data.

anyone else have this problem?

Is it the usual hd access noise or something unusual? Unusual clicky noises == bad, backup and buy a new hd. If it is the normal noise than it is nothing to worry about. As for why it's only firefox doing it, well firefox takes up lots of ram if you run it for a while, it will eventually spill over to hd-based swap if you don't have much ram.

It does sound like your drive is dying though. Everytime I had one start to click it died soon after. Firefox might just be the beginning. If it starts doing it more often or, on more programs then death is imminent.

It's not necessarily HD death. I know that the FF cache file gets immensely fragmented over time. Check Defragmenter and see if the FF cache is at the top of the list. If it is, you know what to do :)

i think i may have found the problem:

i don't know how,but FireFox's Cache setting was at 80mb.changed it to 10 and no more clicking.

Back