Firefox Updated to 3.0.8

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
If you don’t have Firefox set to auto-update, you’ll want to go and grab the new 3.0.8 release that came out Friday afternoon. It contains fixes for the bug used in the Pwn2Own security conference last week to attack FF and eventually helped the hacker win the contest as well as a 2nd zero-day exploit

Nils' flaw exploited a bug in a Firefox routine known as method _moveToEdgeShift. ..The other flaw, which has to do with the way the browser processes XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language) stylesheets, affects Firefox on all operating systems, and also affects the Seamonkey Internet application.

And I just upgraded to 3.0.7..., Hey Mozilla, I have things called "addons", and some don't work when you update firefox every week now.

:rolleyes:

And I just upgraded to 3.0.7..., Hey Mozilla, I have things called "addons", and some don't work when you update firefox every week now.

Every week? ..... care to rethink that? not even close.

And I would love to hear what add-on all of a sudden doesn't work with a new point release.

Why don't any of these company get some of the best hackers to work for them.

They do, MS has some really great bug hunters working for them (good blogs too) and I'm sure Mozilla does as well. The fact is, no matter how many people you have looking at code, there is a chance that something will slip through or a new type of exploit no one has thought of before will be developed.

So, open your addons (they're just uncompressed Zip files, change the .xpi to .zip and extract the contents), go inside and find the install.rdf file, find the MaxVersion line inside and change the variable to 3.* and save it, then re-Zip the full contents into a new updated file, change the extension from .zip to .xpi and install it.

What, this is a tough thing to do? Hell, I have 15 addons and all of them were modded a long time ago to 3.* and they work with the entire 3.* branch of FF3 without issues.

Just switched to 3.1b3 today. omg fast

It gets faster: Tracemonkey isn't enabled by default in that build (none of the builds actually). Go to about:config and type jit - when you see the two variables:

javascript.options.jit.chrome
javascript.options.jit.content

set them both to true (double-click changes the variable). Once Tracemonkey is enabled the new Javascript runtime will be in effect and it should be roughly twice as fast at rendering Javascript code items.

Yeah, as Joe said, a lot of add-ons just have arbitrary limits on the 3.x versions that they'll work with instead of just specifying that they'll work with any 3.x FF version, you can change that yourself... Though the only add-on I've ever had to do it for personally has been miniT (tabscroll)...

When's 3.1 coming out officially anyway?

It gets faster: Tracemonkey isn't enabled by default in that build (none of the builds actually). Go to about:config and type jit - when you see the two variables:

javascript.options.jit.chrome
javascript.options.jit.content

set them both to true (double-click changes the variable). Once Tracemonkey is enabled the new Javascript runtime will be in effect and it should be roughly twice as fast at rendering Javascript code items.

Yeah I saw that on the Mozilla page, I'm liking me some Tracemonkey.

Just remember, it is up to the developer to make sure their add-ons are updated to work with the updates Mozilla pushes for FF. They are not responsible if add-ons break due to an update and they only release version 3 last June and they have had 8 updates.

Back