Firewire Or DVI????

IanSMK

Weaksauce
my parents just bought a 65 inch hdtv for the basement... crazy i know... they got a lcd 50 inch upstairs and nobody comes down here really so im gonna run a cable to it from my PC so i can frag and melt my eyeballs at the same time

anyways the guy at the store recomended running a firewire cable to it... its 35 bucks and i got it...but im thinking why not DVI??? i have a 6800 GT and a good enough computer for all that whatever....but whats better firewire or DVI for gaming on ur tv? and the tv has a firewire input and a dvi input

DVI would be better.
I'm just sort-of thinking: firewire would use up CPU and slow things down, DVI would be like it was just any other monitor

You can run FireWire to the display for a video link?

wtf?

That's got to be bullshit; there's no way to route your graphics card like that. Return the FireWire cable and get yourself a DVI cable.

Here's the scoop on FireWire versus DVI.

The big manufacturers of HDTV hardware (Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, JVC, etc.) are fighting over the acceptance of two standards for HDTV digital video interconnects--DVI and FireWire/IEEE-1394, of course. Both interfaces have lots of bandwidth available, at least for this generation, and simple interfaces. The big thing with FireWire is that it has incorporated 5C/DTCP copy protection and this home theater control standard called HAVi (Home Audio Video interoperability). Naturally, Sony was all over that. Mitsubishi has since adopted FireWire as well, and there may be others. What FireWire currently has that DVI doesn't is recording ability of any kind. Of course, there is some sort of copy protection going on, but it's my understanding that there aren't any HDTV recorders with DVI connectivity.

And this has what exactly to do with playing games on your PC with your HDTV as a monitor? Nothing. DVI is the plug-and-forget solution you should choose. FireWire might be more complicated, and it's not like it offers any advantage over DVI, for your purposes.

if you buy them at a computer store yes, on ebay they are like $5

also if you want to game on your tv FireWire wont work... you are only going to be able to send DV to your TV via firewire... think about it, firewire is not a video card interface, its a DV interface... unless i missed something :p

ahhh great, well the tv comes in tommorow, ill return the firewire and shell out that papa for the dvi chord cus im smart....

post-69-1093046225.gif

FLECOM said:
think about it, firewire is not a video card interface, its a DV interface... unless i missed something :p
Digital is digital, my friend. If one device talks to another, and they both understand what the other is saying, it doesn't matter if it's FireWire, USB, DVI, PCI Express, PCI-X, HDMI, <insert digital interface here>, etc. FireWire has the bandwidth to handle pretty good resolution, color depth, etc.

how about this, ill get the tv, try out the firewire, if its not killa enough, ill get the dvi

post-69-1093076416.gif

yea i bought the DVI and its not getting a fitted display on the tv, like theres a 2 inch frame around my desktop, and i cant see it, its filling the whole screen but i cant see like the row of desktop icons on the far left, or the start bar, etc...

Either mess with some settings on the display, should have an auto configure, or you might have to manually adjust your screen in your driver control panel.

IanSMK said:
ahhh great, well the tv comes in tommorow, ill return the firewire and shell out that papa for the dvi chord cus im smart....

post-69-1093046225.gif

IanSMK said:
how about this, ill get the tv, try out the firewire, if its not killa enough, ill get the dvi

post-69-1093076416.gif

What's with the gay anigifs, is that you?

Back