FiringSquad tests Vista vs XP

I was running vista 64 with no problems in games until I installed the latest driver for my g25 wheel, it completely hosed vista, had to format. I put xp back on.

Not sure if that was a logitech problem or what but it was enough to make me not want to run vista until it becomes more stable. Previous to my new build and clean install of vista I had been running xp for 2 years with no problems.

I was running vista 64 with no problems in games until I installed the latest driver for my g25 wheel, it completely hosed vista, had to format. I put xp back on.

Not sure if that was a logitech problem or what but it was enough to make me not want to run vista until it becomes more stable. Previous to my new build and clean install of vista I had been running xp for 2 years with no problems.

until vista becomes more stable? that's clearly logitech's fault...

Obviously it is the fault of a bad driver by Logitech, but I guess he's too eager to hop on the "LOL M$ LOL LOL" bandwagon to think about it at all and therefore denies himself the use of a better OS.

EDIT: As far as the article goes, this is what people have been saying... but no one would believe them ;)... excellent review.

Interesting, I ordered Vista 64 with my latest batch of upgrades but was planning to install XP until SP1. Maybe I'll just go with Vista 64 from the start when everything arrives, although I remember it having an annoying alt-tab lock with LOTR: Online that didn't occur in XP. I wonder if it's worth it to put up with little annoyances like that which are sure to crop up.

Honestly, the only thing REALLY keeping my from Vista is the lack of hardware audio acceleration. The performance is there, as this article shows. And the new effects can definitely be compelling. BUT...

I've got a lot of "older" games we are still playing through that make wonderful use of EAX3/4/5, but used DirectSound instead of OpenAL, and Creative hasn't got the ALchemy driver working for yet.

I can't help but think that removing hardware Direct3d acceleration was a glaring mistake on Microsoft's part, as it outright excluded all Soundblaster owners from enjoying proper audio. And Soundblaster has been the de facto audio add-in card for HOW many decades, now? It's kept me from jumping on the Vista bandwagon, and I can't imagine how many others, too. I happen to value high quality audio very much.

To be honest I think the performance difference has been that way for months now, In fact it's probably been at least 3-4 months now where performance has basically rivaled XP for most games.

The people who aren't upgrading to vista because they say it's not stable, it's not secure and its slower are just talking utter bollocks, it's the same old M$ SUCK, OLOL XP is teh bettar

Most people who knock Vista have never tried it or have tried it and can't differentiate between an OS problem and a driver problem, they also too readily compare a 5 year old OS to a 10 month old one. Lets face it, 10 months after release XP was no better, in fact my recolection is that XP really wasn't that good until SP2.

Honestly, the only thing REALLY keeping my from Vista is the lack of hardware audio acceleration. The performance is there, as this article shows. And the new effects can definitely be compelling. BUT...

I've got a lot of "older" games we are still playing through that make wonderful use of EAX3/4/5, but used DirectSound instead of OpenAL, and Creative hasn't got the ALchemy driver working for yet.

I can't help but think that removing hardware Direct3d acceleration was a glaring mistake on Microsoft's part, as it outright excluded all Soundblaster owners from enjoying proper audio. And Soundblaster has been the de facto audio add-in card for HOW many decades, now? It's kept me from jumping on the Vista bandwagon, and I can't imagine how many others, too. I happen to value high quality audio very much.

After some researching this is the same conclusion i came to. Well said dderidex

just buy a second hard drive and install vista on that. i have vista 64 on my 250gb drive and XP 64 on my 120gb drive. to switch to XP i just reboot go into bios change boot priority and my XP 64 drive takes over. the crysis beta for example runs 50% faster in XP so im really glad and decided to keep my XP drive as well as have the latest dx10 support with my vista install.

Vista 64 runs pretty good on my rig, has a ton of nifty features. There are some small issues with Creative Drivers, but nothing major.

Rubbish article. They haven't even tested the 8800GTS cards. How useless.

I'm on Vista 32 and I'd say that the performance gap has become minimal. It took Nvidia forever to produce some decent Vista drivers, but the current batch (8800 at least) run as well as XP did before I switched in March. In a few cases (FEAR being notable) the performance was even slightly better.
I like Vista now that I've gotten used to it and configured it the way I like it.
One of the keys to getting hidden performance is turning off "background composition" with some games. That essentially turns Aero off while the program is running. In some cases it does nothing, but in Titan Quest and FEAR it makes a pretty big difference.
For audio...I really don't have that many older games I keep installed. ALchemy and EAX work for everything I have, but that's not saying a ton.

Back