Firmware Upgrade New Samsung 840 Pro?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I've just got some new Samsung Evo Pro 128 GB SSD's which currently have no data written to them. I'm about to start utilizing these drives very soon and I was wondering if I need to upgrade the firmware on them now considering the Evo had some read performance issues and these drives are brand new so why risk it later w/ data.

When I go to Samsung's site and find my drives, there's nothing to download but a migration tool for helping people migrate data.

Any suggestions for a new SSD owner?

Only EVO series got an fw fix so either you have it in which case update, or you have the PRO series which has not been updated a long time. There is no EVO PRO ssd.

Yes. I realize now there's no such things as the Evo Pro and I only have the 'Pro' series. Since they're new (to me) and never been powered on from a consumer stand point, I think I will update the firmware regardless just to be safe and feel good inside. I can just attach the drive via SATA to USB 3.0 cable in my MacBook / PC and just launch Samsung's tool, yes?

Sometimes you can update firmware over USB, sometimes not. Best to do it over the built-in SATA controller if possible.

So I simply slam the new drive in as a slave on a spare SATA connection on any PC and before I partition the disk and add a filesystem to it, I should be able to upgrade it w/ the tool, correct? There are really no instructions nor is this well documented on the web sadly.

So I simply slam the new drive in as a slave on a spare SATA connection on any PC and before I partition the disk and add a filesystem to it, I should be able to upgrade it w/ the tool, correct? There are really no instructions nor is this well documented on the web sadly.

Yeah, pretty much. Otherwise just use their utility as instructed on their site or in the README or whatever. Source: Have done this with many HDDs and some SSDs (like my Intel 320). Never a Samsung SSD, but I did update a Samsung F3 HDD firmware a few years back and it was via a bootable ISO. I put that on a USB stick (with a utility to boot ISOs from USB like YUMI) and it worked fine. If your drive has an updater for Windows, which some do these days, then that should be fine.

Back