First AIM for Mac update in 4 years!

CKMorpheus

[H]ard|Gawd
For those of you who still enjoy using AIM on their PC, and have found the severely outdated Mac version not up to par, you can rejoice. AOL has finally released a new AIM for Mac beta today.

http://beta.aol.com/projects.php?project=aimformac

I enjoy my custom smiles on the AIM on my PC, but I'm just too used to iChat now. I think the main thing that is keeping me away from AIM for Mac is the lack of Address Book support. All my friends with screen names, I have linked them up to their Address Book information, so iChat shows me their name instead of their user name.

AIM for Mac doesn't do that. And so, for now, it has been uninstalled. I am still impressed with it, it works smoothly and has all the features you'd expect from their AIM client. Just missing that crucial Address Book feature I know and love in iChat.

Wow I didn't realize it was that long. Guess everyone just uses ichat or some third party app.

about time! but I been using Adium for my AIM needs for the last 2 years.

as said Adium, when i got my macbook i spent hours looking for IM's only to find they are all outdated, have massive bugs or dont work at all... then Adium! never looked back, just as i use trillian on windows.

Wait, people still really use AIM on their Macs? Get with it people! Adium FTW.

another adium here......

and even on windows, use Pidgin; AIM is the worst piece of crap software I have seen in a long time.

On Windows, Miranda is ugly, Trillian is bloated... Pidgin FTW.

ichat is great...basic straight forward chat client. i wish they made it for windows but pidgin is pretty good too just archaic looking.

On Windows, Miranda is ugly, Trillian is bloated... Pidgin FTW.

Miranda looks however you want it to look. The IEView plugin makes the chat windows skinnable with plain old HTML and CSS, and Clist_Modern makes the contact list skinnable with transparent PNGs. I have Miranda set up so that it looks almost exactly the same as Adium does on my Mac, and Adium certainly isn't "ugly."

Trillian isnt bloated for me, runs fine, the only thing i DO hate is when you start trillian it stops your entire system for like 1-3 seconds as it loads.

yeah, i'm with 4b5eN+EE here... trillian is bloated... i'm a 'Carrier/Pidgin' person on PC/Linux, and Adium on mac person.

Adium / Pidgin.

I haven't used a real MSN or AIM client for at least 8 years I am thinking. In fact I don't remember really using either. Linux kind of forced me to use Gaim (what is now Pidgin) so at the time I loved the concept and used Trillium on my windows computers.

Adium on mac, trillian on windows, pidgen on linux.
68d30a9594728bc39aa24be94b319d21.gif

All the people in here using Trillian and Pidgin on Windows are making me sad. I should start a thread in the Software forum about configuring Miranda. It can be tricky to set up, but once you're done it's basically Adium for Windows.

All the people in here using Trillian and Pidgin on Windows are making me sad. I should start a thread in the Software forum about configuring Miranda. It can be tricky to set up, but once you're done it's basically Adium for Windows.

You shouldnt have to "set up" an AIM client. Install, login, minimize to tray.... all done. :)

Maybe I will make one about using Pidgin in windows. :p :cool:

Back