First Batch of iPhone Xs Is Reportedly Just 46,500 Units

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
According to a China-based Xinhuanet.com report, Foxconn Electronics has started shipping iPhone X devices out from Zhengzhou and Shanghai to the Netherlands and United Arab Emirates (UAE): unfortunately, the shipment barely exceeds 46,000 phones. I suspect that we will see some outrageously priced ones on auction sites this holiday season.

The first-batch shipments of the iPhone X units were much lower than the previous iPhone models, which apparently will make the iPhone X one of the most difficult-to-find smartphone these days, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report. Although Foxconn has ramped up its output of iPhone X to 400,000 units a week recently from the previous 100,000 units, the increased production still cannot meet market demand, said the report, citing data from Rosenblatt.

So they made phones for 3 days and shipped those out?
Next week they should have 450k more to ship out then, right?

As expected, really. The iPhone X is not the "real" product. The iPhone 8 is, and that's not working out well for them since there is little to differentiate it from the -now somewhat cheaper and readily available- iPhone 7.

I think consumers have an aversion to the number 8. Everyone loved Windows 7 and hated Windows 8. MS also skipped 9 and went to 10. Apple did the same, lol.

Meanwhile, this former iPhone owner (3GS to 7 Plus) eagerly awaits his Pixel 2 XL that shipped today. :)
I went the opposite way. Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 6 (with a short iPhone 5 stint after my GN broke) and now the 8 Plus.

Maybe I just held on to the N6 too long, but I'm glad to be rid of it.

Everyone saying iPhone 8 is selling like crap - yeah, it is, but that wasn't what Apple was trying to sell at that iPhone event. The 7 became the entry level phone, 8 is the mid-tier stop gap, and they wanted everyone to want the X. And they do. So no wonder everyone is waiting for the X. Sales of 8 will probably pick up a bit if availability continues to be an issue, but 8 was never going to be a huge market buster like previous iterations have been, so long as X existed alongside it.

I don't think Apple is worried about slow 8 sales, or is intentionally constraining supply of the X - they know they can sell every one they build, and then some, and they would be happier to sell more than less (particularly in the run up to the holiday season). It's not like they are getting cuts of the ebay/reseller market - they charge the same $1k+ off each phone, regardless of if they sell it now or 3 months from now.

I'm happy with my 6 still. I'm cautiously optimistic about the OLED in the X, but I'm not willing to pay a huge premium for it, so I can wait. I don't care a bit about the headphone jack, although I'm leery of loss of fingerprint sensor -- I didn't care about it when it first came out with the 5, but that has become pretty convenient I have to admit, and I don't know that FaceID would be as convenient (although I do believe it is probably more secure).

I should try to get an X - I'd have no qualms flipping it for a profit. It's going to be a very tight supply. I know a lot of people skipping the 8 and wanting the X.

My wife just upgraded from an original Moto-X to a used Nexus 6 and loves it.

Kinda wish I'd waited for the Pixel 2 XL myself. I don't regret dumping the iphone 7 for the Nexus 6P I have now.

I've been waiting for this! Hopefully dont get screwed and im able to get one at midnight on the 27th of this month. ( pre-ordered that is )

Lets just say from a sales perspective, having spoken with a lot of store retailers when accessory shopping.

The launch numbers were abysmal for the 8.

It was like a panic to get something out the door.

The iphone x was so overhyped that it killed the 8's launch base.

The 7 was a great phone and everyone with one that I know won't get an 8. Maybe an x

They marketed it as sub par and thats going to hurt their sales ....ooops

lemmings-off-a-cliff.jpg

Cool people don't use smart phones. Only normies use smart phones, you don't want to be a normie do you?!?

It's interesting that lots of people are talking about the iPhone 7 beating out the 8 because of price. I think the iPhone 6s was the last great iPhone. To bad they don't sell it anymore. Even if you have BT headphones it nice to have an old fashioned jack as a backup. It's funny that it took the iPhone 8 release to make people think the 7 was a good phone.

Back