First Half of 2005FPW vs 2007WFP!

Flying Fox said:
Skin tones are always tough for panels that don't have full range colour. The thing with pr0n though is that they are mostly shot indoors and you don't get to see much gradients. Swimsuits and/or low-cut clothing with the photographers focusing on the contours reflecting outdoor sunlight are better tests. I look at Formula 1 pitbabes and even the new Viewsonic panels do not look the same compared to CRTs (they are not 8-bit though).

I see you've given much thought to the subject.

sanitystream said:
I see you've given much thought to the subject.
Yes I did. :) As I am looking to replace my last CRT with LCD, I need to be sure that I can completely replicate functionality. Too bad that does not look to be the case yet so I may need to keep at least 1 CRT around, just in case. :rolleyes:

Flying Fox said:
I need to be sure that I can completely replicate functionality. T

Which is apparently tech-speak for "the chick's breasts need to look right" on a new LCD? :)

sanitystream said:
Which is apparently tech-speak for "the chick's breasts need to look right" on a new LCD? :)
Of course, can't have a wallpaper that does not look right, eh? ;)

A couple of questions if thats ok :):

1) Sometimes, especially in the dark I find the minimum brightness levels too low on my 2005fpw. Does the brightness control have a bigger range on the 2007 or is it the same?

2) Does the 2007 tilt up down left and right smoothly like the 2005? Are the angles it can tilt different or the same as the 2005?

Thanks, I couldnt find this info elsewhere.

I just received a 2007WFP yesterday, and I hooked it up and planted it right next to my 2005FPW. I am using a eVGA 7600GT, both hooked up to dvi, etc. etc., no adjustments made to either card or monitors, both out of the box settings.

The 2005 has some pretty major backlight leakage. It is very prominent, especially on dark movies a la Underworld. This doesn't bother me as much, since I use my 42" Olevia LCD hanging above it to watch movies. But it's there, and I'd rather not have it there, hence the 2007.

The 2007 has some very slight light leakage, but not as bad, and a lay person would have never noticed it. Shoot, people haven't even said anything about my 2005 either. Now I am not a videophile nor that picky. I haven't even adjusted the 2005 yet, although I shall since I do have an Avia Disk, I should use to adjust for colors, and other levels.

The one thing I will say is this: the colors on the 2005 are much more vibrant than on the 2007. I'm pretty sure if I saw each one alone, than the 2007 would have been excellent, but standing next to the 2005, the colors on the 2007 look washed out. Out of the box, the colors are at the max 100 on the 2007 as mentioned earlier, while the color settings on the 2005 are near max, I can't remember as I am at work. However, I think the blue was maxed while the other two were like 89 or something, close to maximum but not quite.

So this puts me in a pickle. I am keeping one, and giving the other one away. Which one do I keep? The damn colors are much better to me on the 2005. The 2007 has better light control, HDCP, and looks better too IMO. I don't watch movies on this, so the light leakage isn't a huge problem. Argghhh.

Sorry to hijack the thread Weenis, but I thought it best this goes in here instead of starting a new one. If this bothers you, I can edit and create a new thread. I took some pics but haven't uploaded them yet. I can run some simple tests if anyone wants, as I have both sitting next to each other for tonight.

deeznuts said:
I just received a 2007WFP yesterday, and I hooked it up and planted it right next to my 2005FPW. I am using a eVGA 7600GT, both hooked up to dvi, etc. etc., no adjustments made to either card or monitors, both out of the box settings.

The 2005 has some pretty major backlight leakage. It is very prominent, especially on dark movies a la Underworld. This doesn't bother me as much, since I use my 42" Olevia LCD hanging above it to watch movies. But it's there, and I'd rather not have it there, hence the 2007.

The 2007 has some very slight light leakage, but not as bad, and a lay person would have never noticed it. Shoot, people haven't even said anything about my 2005 either. Now I am not a videophile nor that picky. I haven't even adjusted the 2005 yet, although I shall since I do have an Avia Disk, I should use to adjust for colors, and other levels.

The one thing I will say is this: the colors on the 2005 are much more vibrant than on the 2007. I'm pretty sure if I saw each one alone, than the 2007 would have been excellent, but standing next to the 2005, the colors on the 2007 look washed out. Out of the box, the colors are at the max 100 on the 2007 as mentioned earlier, while the color settings on the 2005 are near max, I can't remember as I am at work. However, I think the blue was maxed while the other two were like 89 or something, close to maximum but not quite.

So this puts me in a pickle. I am keeping one, and giving the other one away. Which one do I keep? The damn colors are much better to me on the 2005. The 2007 has better light control, HDCP, and looks better too IMO. I don't watch movies on this, so the light leakage isn't a huge problem. Argghhh.

Sorry to hijack the thread Weenis, but I thought it best this goes in here instead of starting a new one. If this bothers you, I can edit and create a new thread. I took some pics but haven't uploaded them yet. I can run some simple tests if anyone wants, as I have both sitting next to each other for tonight.

Well, I request pics comparing the two in both areas. Hard to judge based on your account. That color problem sounds exceptionally wierd. They're both S-IPS panels, hard to imagine it would have gotten worse unless there's something horribly amiss such as... Dell starting to use PVA panels instead for 20", which would explain the colors being worse.

Ok I've taken the pics but they dont' clearly show what I see in real life. Mind you, the difference is subtle, but easy to spot if looking side by side. What is weird, however, is the fact that I adjusted the color on the 2005FPW, in order to bring it in line with the 2007, so now rgb are all 100. This brought the two very close, when playing movies and pics they are now almost indistinguishable. However, on sky pics like the generic background of XP, the blue on the 2005 still seems a tad bit more vibrant. This could be a function of some other setting.

I can't seem to find the brightness setting on my 2005. Where the hell is it?

Here are some pics.

EDIT: MY host is acting screwy. Just click each link, and then highlight the address in the new window, and hit enter, the pic will show up if you want to see them.

http://image44.webshots.com/44/3/46/95/2035346950033981851dawlLS_ph.jpg
The two side by side. The 2005 is on the left, 2007 on the right.

http://image40.webshots.com/41/7/47/60/2094747600033981851bbFeXl_ph.jpg
Startup screen, as you see on the left, the 2005 has some bleeding on the upper middle and bottom left.

http://image46.webshots.com/47/8/85/79/2620885790033981851WhpVuv_ph.jpg
A better picture of the bleeding.

http://image10.webshots.com/10/5/84/9/2375584090033981851PmZnxq_ph.jpg

http://image10.webshots.com/11/2/45/26/2822245260033981851mcWbUl_ph.jpg

There is some serious banding issues on the 2007 though. I dont' notice it during normal usage nor video, but on test patterns they are there. These same patterns ran on the 2005, on clone mode, show no banding. It is kind of hard to see, but here it is:
http://image52.webshots.com/52/1/52/13/2938152130033981851qpJAls_ph.jpg
http://image57.webshots.com/157/7/7/87/2043707870033981851VXbjcX_ph.jpg

Hopefully that shows clearly.

I have these banding issues and it deals with the DVI connection in some way. I noticed this also on the Dell Forum. I think I will wait until there is a revision, since this one is A0, before I return it.

Has anyone plugged an XBox 360 or PS2 into one of these 2007's yet? I plan on using my new monitor as a single monitor for all of my video watching needs, so I want to make sure that it won't lag over the analog inputs.

gustav said:
^I tried turning the brightness up but it still says 403 Forbidden

:D
like he said, once you get that screen, just hit enter again on it.

It just doesn't want to "refer" from an outside page, hence the forbidden

FitzRoy said:
WOW, big difference there. Backlight bleed is far worse than the banding issue, IMO. These new 2007s look like dell has gotten on theball with regard to this issue.

PS. If you guys can't see the difference, turn the brightness of you monitor up while viewing the pic.
why would you ever want to turn up the brightness to "look for" backlight bleed? do you surf with brightness up to 100%? or do you game with that level of brightness? if you always are looking for defects, you would never be happy with any LCD. I just got my 2007wfp two days ago and i can say the backlight uniformaty is 100% better than what you saw on 2005. I am extremely happy with 2007wfp

gio_raiden said:
Do you recomend 2007WFP for Xbox 360 usage?

I'm playing my Xbox 360 on my new 2007WFP and it looks fine to me. Now, the 360's VGA cable does have a bad habit of washing out colors and that's evident to some extent here, but it's not the monitor's fault. With the 2007WFP you can pump up the R,G,B levels to compensate for it to some degree. The picture looks nice and fairly sharp, considering the monitor is re-scaling 1280x768 to 1680x1050.

And for the record, no backlight bleeding at all on this puppy. I'd say this is what everyone hoped the Dell 2005s were going to be.

Back