First Impressions Of FEAR (Got IT Today)

The big bad guys go down easy with shotguns in slow mo.

I am liking this about as much as HL2. Very fun.

EDIT: Longshoreman magazines...lol. Nice touch.

Jodiuh said:
Grrraaaargh! Phoenix Fry's had the cdlove version for $37 and the DC for $56 (i think). You positive?

The price was actually $55 on the shelf, but it rang up at $37.

It looks cool and scary...

Everyone I know who bought it told me not to, they finished the whole game in 9 hours :(

theNoid said:

Everyone I know who bought it told me not to, they finished the whole game in 9 hours :(

Are games a race now? How about slowing down and taking in the game?

theNoid said:

You want some tension, thats why I play it on the second lowest setting, it adds just enough to slow you down and let you take it in, bu quickenough so that you are not getting frustrated and have to call it quits.

I am already at Interval 09 and I love this game.
I have been playing it on Hard and I don't plan to use any cheats or a lower difficulty level.

This game is so awesome and the story has me hooked!

heh... I am hooked also.. great spooky creepy game for mid/late October. MUAHHAHAHAHHA..

Damn, you all are speed demons! I still haven't finished HL2 yet...despite owning it for almost 6 months now :eek: I guess I'm just in love with multiplayer...

Played HALO straight til BF2!

EDIT: Yeah, what's up with mp?! Does it make the 37 worthy?

wait so does this game have MP? or is this just a SP game? What are the impressions on the MP

It does have MP, but I have a feeling Quake4 will be the MP king... FEAR seems to have better SP action.. from what I have read..

The MP is a bit limited (CTF, DM, TDM) but very fun. More fun than the HL2 TDM,DM.

What would you guys say is the best gun.
I say the Particle Cannon.... SICK DEATH RESULTS!

Also,
DOES ANYTHING FUCKING HURT THE HEAVY ARMOR GUYS?

I have shot them with the Pistols
I have shot them with the SMG
I have shot them with the AR
I have shot them with the Shot Gun
I have shot them with the Nail gun
I have shot them with the Particle cannon
I have shot them with the Multi Rocket launcher
I have shot them with the Repulser Cannon
I have kicked them
I have punshed them
I have tossed grenades at them
I have blown them up with prox mines
I have lobbed 3 sticky nades at them and blown all 3 at once.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!
It still takes insane amount of firepower to kill them.

SPOILER_-

The CGI in the begining where your team gets shot down is probobly the coolest thing i have seen in my life. And when you get blown out the glass window by the little girl.

this game = teh fing pwn

Majin said:
What would you guys say is the best gun.
I say the Particle Cannon.... SICK DEATH RESULTS!

Also,
DOES ANYTHING FUCKING HURT THE HEAVY ARMOR GUYS?

I have shot them with the Pistols
I have shot them with the SMG
I have shot them with the AR
I have shot them with the Shot Gun
I have shot them with the Nail gun
I have shot them with the Particle cannon
I have shot them with the Multi Rocket launcher
I have shot them with the Repulser Cannon
I have kicked them
I have punshed them
I have tossed grenades at them
I have blown them up with prox mines
I have lobbed 3 sticky nades at them and blown all 3 at once.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!
It still takes insane amount of firepower to kill them.

The explosive barrels seem to help. Sometimes. After i've hit them with a grenade or two..

beanman101283 said:
The explosive barrels seem to help. Sometimes. After i've hit them with a grenade or two..

But I mean come on!
If your character was smart he would strip one of these guys, take his armor and just relax the rest of the game.
Who needs super fast reflexes when you can take on a tank!

heavy armor = decreased agility :p

but you'd think you'd be able to try it out... :)

Anyways, this game is visually amazing.. the scene with the little girl and the fire, when you have to jump out of the window, wow... most intense moment I have seen in a game...

No I noticed that right off the bat.
They walk slow and react slow but what wep works best on them.
I have found the repulser cannon (or whatever it's call) seems to send them to one knee a lot faster than anything else.

!!! - SPOILER - !!!

So as far as your character is concerned, who thinks that he was the first prototype. The Commander of the replicator soldiers was the second as it stated in game.

I think your character was the first one, which is why he has super speed and the girl is toying with you so much.

The Girl was the first test subject.
The flashes to the past are of your birth I think..

What are your thoughts.

Also if you know more than this already, don't post!

The A.I is really starting to freak me out. I never seen a A.I so smart before!!!!!!!! I go to flank them, but I get counter-flanked. I found out, that if I stand in one spot, I am screwed!!!!!!!!! About time a game had a A.I that was incredibly smart!!!!!

So after playing the game little I have comt to some conclussions. First off the A.I. is really good. Secondly, I have a feeling there is some bad prgramming in this game. For what I see on screen theres no way it should be taxing my system like it is. I have a feeling they could easily tighten up some of the code. Anyone else?

I thought some of the parts in the office building part of the game were pretty creepy, but holy crap the last 30 minutes of the game are scary as sh*t. The only other game I can think of that even comes close to it is Fatal Frame 2 (the first time u play it).

i found that with slow MO

i can get close to these heavy armor guys and kill each one with just three headshots with a shot gun :)

Movieesa said:
So after playing the game little I have comt to some conclussions. First off the A.I. is really good. Secondly, I have a feeling there is some bad prgramming in this game. For what I see on screen theres no way it should be taxing my system like it is. I have a feeling they could easily tighten up some of the code. Anyone else?

yes... Someone needs to brush up on their assembly. ;) j/k I seriously doubt any of it is written in assembly. but it would fly if is was.. anyways, maybe the updates will bring more performance boosts.... hopefully.

Movieesa said:

No kidding, I have never seen A.I. that makes the bad guy jump through a window to avoid a trap, I have never seen A.I. that warns there friends to the level this game does, so that all of a sudden you have 6 more guys on you then you would have.
The A.I. in this game is awesome!
The more I play the more I really like the A.I.

Majin said:
No kidding, I have never seen A.I. that makes the bad guy jump through a window to avoid a trap, I have never seen A.I. that warns there friends to the level this game does, so that all of a sudden you have 6 more guys on you then you would have.
The A.I. in this game is awesome!
The more I play the more I really like the A.I.

I just shot up a bunch of guys, there was dust all in the air. I walked around one of the bodies, then turned around looking where to go. I watched the fucker start getting back up again while looking around. He was playing dead! :eek: I shot him a few more times and he ws no longer playing. But holy hell..

I love hearing them scream "Where should I go??!" like little girls lol

ok, so i just got done playing for about an hour. would have played longer, but my game froze up on me... wtf? aint that a bitch... i love the game so far. got to interval 3 before i was forced to stop... damn!!! i think i liked hl2 better, it just felt more imerssive... and ran better

did the stress test:
fps:
min: 35
avg: 53
max: 105

fps distro:
0% below 25 fps
22% 25-40 fps
78% above 40 fps

not to bad... still was a little choppy... followed the link above to vu games and am going to turn aa from 4x to 2x as they suggested and see if that helps...

anyways, great fun...

Just finished the game and boy how great it was. This is seriously one of the best games I've played recently. The storytelling is extremely well done, the plot and characters excellent as well. The AI is just phenomenal, I've never seen such smart enemies. The graphics were very good as well, a little performance hungry, but oh well. The sound in general was very good, my only complaint being the voices were a little quiet, but i probably could have fixed that with some tweaking. The ending sequence of the game was just unbelievably well done. Even though it was sort of an open/cliffhanger ending, it still blew me away. Well, I guess the ending was like an ending to a good horror movie, so maybe that's why it fit well. Anyway, if you can't tell I loved the game to death.

Movieesa said:

Maybe all the CPU power is going to the AI instead of physics calculations :)

I noticed in Minimum Requirements this listed:
•Monitor that can display in 4:3 aspect ratio
Does this game have widescreen mode also? I game on my 50" DLP @1280x720. If anybody is playing in wide mode, is it done right or stretched and distorted?

peace.
unloaded

UnLoadeD said:
I noticed in Minimum Requirements this listed:
•Monitor that can display in 4:3 aspect ratio
Does this game have widescreen mode also? I game on my 50" DLP @1280x720. If anybody is playing in wide mode, is it done right or stretched and distorted?

peace.
unloaded

No it does not support widescreen field of view. The demo could be hacked to do this but not the retail game thus far. Right now you can only strech a 4:3 ratio to widescreen.

I beat the game last night and I have to say IT WAS AWESOME!

That nuclear exposion in the stree was unreal!

ALMA living was so classic horror movie!
I LOVED IT!

What are the control combo's for the melee attacks? All I know, is the the Mouse 1 click to hit them with the gun and then run, jump and hit Mouse 1 to do a running kick. I know there are alot more. Anyone discover any other melee combos?

I love how the enemy soldiers chat with each other depending on the situation.

"Move up soldier"
"No fucking way!"

Lazy_Moron said:
What are the control combo's for the melee attacks? All I know, is the the Mouse 1 click to hit them with the gun and then run, jump and hit Mouse 1 to do a running kick. I know there are alot more. Anyone discover any other melee combos?

I think if you hit crouch+forward+melee you'll do a slide kick. The manual is at home so i don't remember exactly. But something like that.

Lazy_Moron said:

When you have a gun
hit melee and gun butt them.

Holster your gun and click shoot and you can do punch combos.
Hit melee and you will do more punch combos

Jump + Melee will do a round house

Forward + Jump + Melee will do the 3 kicks forward!

beanman101283 said:
I think if you hit crouch+forward+melee you'll do a slide kick. The manual is at home so i don't remember exactly. But something like that.

Oh its in the manuel. Man I should really get in the habit and look at those things lol.

Spare-Flair said:
No it does not support widescreen field of view. The demo could be hacked to do this but not the retail game thus far. Right now you can only strech a 4:3 ratio to widescreen.

Well that sux. You'd think all new releases would have native wide screen support by now. Saved me around $50. I'll keep an eye out for a patch and see how it does once its been tried. Thnx for the info.

peace.
unloaded

Back